Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 PM

239 posts, read 673,251 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good reputable pLumber with good prices you can recommend.
Also, in city of Buford is a permit required to replace a water heater?

How much am I looking art for 40 gallon gas heater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 03:24 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
You can't go wrong with most plumbers when it comes to the basic water heater. You don't need a permit. You could run down to Home Depot, Lowes or Sears and they can have one installed almost same day.

I last used Superior Plumbing as was very satisfied but I did more than the basics.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:43 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
I had two recently replaced. Have had good luck with "AO Smith" brand.

Cost me $1,675 to replace both at the same time. That included everything including hauling the old ones away. He also had to replace a couple of valves that were old and on the way out. I went with model PROG40.

You can try www.Thumbtack.com or I'll PM you the guy I used. He was fair and knowledgeable and is based in Lawrenceville.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:35 PM

239 posts, read 673,251 times
Thanks for the responses. I thought I was lucky to have a home warranty....they sent over a company that's trying to charge extra on top of what the warranty will cover. Something about $75 for a permit, $300 for pipe modifications of some sort to bring to code, another $300 for something else. I thought and think this is just a way for these guys to get more out of this on top of what the warranty company will pay them. Other contractors are just giving me a total figure in the $900 to $1,200 range.

The warranty company then tells me I can go find my own contractor and they'd reimburse me some cash amount..but that cash amount only comes out to $400 and some change. what in the world? That won't even cover half of the actual cost. they say they have pre-negotiated rates to get parts really cheap but..goodness. they're just trying to take advantage of these situations - both the warranty company and assigned contractor. and i fear these guys will try to reimburse me less than the $400 by arguing this or that. i'm already $500 in the hole with the warranty premium and the dispatch fee I had to pay that one contractor.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I thought I was lucky to have a home warranty....they sent over a company that's trying to charge extra on top of what the warranty will cover. Something about $75 for a permit, $300 for pipe modifications of some sort to bring to code, another $300 for something else. I thought and think this is just a way for these guys to get more out of this on top of what the warranty company will pay them. Other contractors are just giving me a total figure in the $900 to $1,200 range....

Many many years ago I went to Sears for a basic replacement. They sent out a guy that charged me all sorts of extra due to code changes etc. I felt trapped, paid him and moved on. A couple of years later a neighbor was replacing theirs and the plummer was having all sorts of problems and asked to see mine. I don't know what the problem was.

When he looked at my install he said Eureka! (okay maybe not that exact word). But he commented how mine made so much sense and was done correctly and went back to finish the job. So it turns out that my Sears install guy did a very good job and perhaps I was not overcharged. But it is hard to know when you have no hot water and the repair man there in your house holding your new water heater hostage.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:06 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,408,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I thought I was lucky to have a home warranty....they sent over a company that's trying to charge extra on top of what the warranty will cover. Something about $75 for a permit, $300 for pipe modifications of some sort to bring to code, another $300 for something else. I thought and think this is just a way for these guys to get more out of this on top of what the warranty company will pay them. Other contractors are just giving me a total figure in the $900 to $1,200 range.

The warranty company then tells me I can go find my own contractor and they'd reimburse me some cash amount..but that cash amount only comes out to $400 and some change. what in the world? That won't even cover half of the actual cost. they say they have pre-negotiated rates to get parts really cheap but..goodness. they're just trying to take advantage of these situations - both the warranty company and assigned contractor. and i fear these guys will try to reimburse me less than the $400 by arguing this or that. i'm already $500 in the hole with the warranty premium and the dispatch fee I had to pay that one contractor.
Congratulations, you've just discovered the fact that home warranties are usually a ripoff. I mean, why would they be offered if the warranty company was not making money on you on average?

Old 12-08-2016, 10:10 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
I had one recently replaced by Reliable. They told me they had to check the pressure valve on my pipes and I thought, oh no, here comes the upsell. But they said the pressure was fine and installed for the price I was given over the phone. That included the thermal expansion tank that is now code in Cobb County, but was not on my existing unit. Be sure you clarify if you need that tank when you get your prices. It is an additional charge from some installers.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 PM

403 posts, read 619,164 times
I think the expansion tank is code in most areas now. We used G-Force Plumbing and paid +/- $2000 for 2 units installed.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:23 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Have you considered a tankless water heater? We have one and it's great. https://www.rinnai.us/tankless-water-heater/

Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,214 times
bought one from home depot - electric - normal install was $650 - then arrived - needed power disconnect - new drain , new pan and something else - cost $950+ for install
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: