Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Interesting...
ARC Planning Areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Tier 1: Cobb, Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Clayton

Tier 2: Rockdale, Douglas, Cherokee, Henry, Fayette

Outer remnants: Forsyth, Coweta, Paulding

Old 12-12-2016, 12:45 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I mean, it's exurban in the south part meets North Georgia in the north part, which is really a different region than Atlanta.

I like to hike at Sawnee Mountain Preserve, I go up there multiple times a year. And I like the lake views, and I like driving on the country roads and everything. It's a nice place, it's just not Atlanta, politically geographically speaking. In my opinion. And in the Atlanta Regional Commission's opinion, too.

And culturally speaking, I'm just saying, the 5 core Atlanta counties have long embraced racial diversity, setting a great example especially for the rest of the South, especially Fulton and DeKalb. For 50+ years running. But it's only been within the last 2-3 decades that Forsyth has not been the frickin' epicenter white supremacy.

Yes of course there's constant progress. But that's a deep red Trump voting county, contrasted against the Atlanta metro counties that mostly all went for Hillary. So that would be a clear cultural difference.
Trump won most princints in North Fulton, all of northern Gwinnett and all of the majority white precincts in Cobb. Trump won the OTP white vote handily overall. The notion of anyone on this site claiming that Cobb has long embraced diversity is pretty comical. All one has to do is type Braves! or MARTA! and much of the board immediately recites the catechism of Cobb awfulness. Where MARTA is concerned that would be the claims that racist whites have kept transit out of Cobb according to quite a few of the participants here.

Most people know little about history, Forsyth's or anywhere else. Most people also don't fret about being tainted by association with events with which they have no connection. If it makes you feel better to pretend that Forsyth isn't part of metro Atlanta, go for it. Just don't be surprised if you struggle to find people who will validate your perspective. And as sedimenjerry noted, Forsyth is following a trajectory similar to Gwinnett's anyway.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:48 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
MPO, ARC; artificial designations. Silly to put limits on the metropolitan area. More like identity politics. Live in South Forsyth, for tax and crime reason, was in Roswell last night, will be in Virginia Highlands next week, was in Dahlonega last week. All different, yet part of the metro area, though Dahlonega is definitely exurban.

Some feet stuck in 'their' own comfortable, familiar meme definitions.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:35 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Dahlonega is 55 miles north of Atlanta...definitely not in the Atlanta metro. Even Dawsonville is a stretch.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
It's not so much to do with distance, as culture. And also how the people that live there identify as far as where they live.

Even in the conservative parts of East Cobb, people will say they live in 'Atlanta', and they basically do. But I just don't think that's true as much for people who live way up in Cumming, except maybe that strip of of southeast Forsyth just north of Johns Creek. But the Lake Lanier area, that is not the Atlanta metro.

And that cultural element and self-identification is definitely not true for counties even further north than that.

Cherokee County only barely makes the cut IMO because of Woodstock, which is definitely an Atlanta suburb. About the same distance out as Suwanee.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:49 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
...except maybe that strip of of southeast Forsyth just north of Johns Creek.
...which is where the mixed-use development that spawned this sidebar discussion is located.

Back on topic, I'm looking at the drone photos on the Halcyon website [Site Updates page], and it looks to me like there's zero integration with the new housing development right next door.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:54 PM

347 posts, read 380,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
...which is where the mixed-use development that spawned this sidebar discussion is located.

Back on topic, I'm looking at the drone photos on the Halcyon website [Site Updates page], and it looks to me like there's zero integration with the new housing development right next door.
I'm not quite sure what they have planned for that, long term, with that apartment complex. I'd imagine a sidewalk/gate would appear eventually, but likely would be in the last phase if it does become something ( the only downside I could see would be maybe a security aspect ). The apartment may not want the integration as well, for a myriad of reasons.

The second photo you can see where they'll be integrating it into the greenway ( that small parking lot to the right, by the road way, is the current green way parking ).

In other news, I found out recently that my apartment complex, The Juncture ( off of Windward/McGinnis ) is being built out as a mixed-use complex.... not... quite sure how that's going to go ( it just seems a little odd to me where one corner of the complex has what appears to be a retail space being built out ) but I'll be curious to see where it goes.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:10 PM

347 posts, read 380,090 times
Also, to add to this, from the other thread http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...tcated-85.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...n-brewery.html

Alpharetta City Center

Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Most folks I know out here in South Forsyth self-identify as Atlantans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta