Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 05:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,182,353 times

Advertisements

Jesus, aries. I am simply addressing the comment on Saporta that you just highlighted, asking why branding the transit "ATL" would help perceptions, vs branding the system "MARTA".

I am saying that I believe it actually would indeed help (even if only a little), because there are many particularly northside OTP people for whom MARTA is a kneejerk emotional negative reaction (for whatever reasons), but ATL is not.

People are not as logical as we'd like them to be. Even those of us who are intelligent and usually very logical, can sometimes behave irrationally when it comes to names and logos and imaging and branding. It's subconscious human nature. People associate a fresh, new look with positive change, and sometimes old brands just get too beat up over the years (and carry irrational, less-than-totally-conscious baggage in peoples' minds), and it's just time for a change. All that is Marketing 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
MAT and ATL are both unnecessary. Typical Georgia though. All of our efforts should be focused on actually improving transit. I don't care if suburbanites have a problem with MARTA. Leave MARTA as is and form some other unified body outside of Fulton, Dekalb, and Clayton.
The branding of the transit product is in fact a key part of actual huge substantive improvement of transit. An important piece of it, one of many involved here.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 973,360 times
I think it is a waste of resources(time and money) if the actual goal is to get more funding for transit. Better marketing is the fact that companies that relocate now often do so because of access to public transit. With the amount of new people moving to the metro area, I'm not so sure I completely buy the stigma that MARTA has. I think it has negative stigma simply because it is public transit and not what it is called.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:50 PM

16,637 posts, read 29,323,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Jesus, aries. I am simply addressing the comment on Saporta that you just highlighted, asking why branding the transit "ATL" would help perceptions, vs branding the system "MARTA".

I am saying that I believe it actually would indeed help (even if only a little), because there are many particularly northside OTP people for whom MARTA is a kneejerk emotional negative reaction (for whatever reasons), but ATL is not.

People are not as logical as we'd like them to be. Even those of us who are intelligent and usually very logical, can sometimes behave irrationally when it comes to names and logos and imaging and branding. It's subconscious human nature. People associate a fresh, new look with positive change, and sometimes old brands just get too beat up over the years (and carry irrational, less-than-totally-conscious baggage in peoples' minds), and it's just time for a change. All that is Marketing 101.
Jesus, primal...I actually agree with you. You are totally right on this. Did you read my post(s) above?

The only thing, for whatever reason, "ATL" may bring some of the same knee-jerk reactions as "MARTA." And that would be unfortunate.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,924,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
....With the amount of new people moving to the metro area, I'm not so sure I completely buy the stigma that MARTA has. I think it has negative stigma simply because it is public transit and not what it is called.
The negative sentiment is definitely less than 10-20 years ago. It used to be based on race, but now I think it's fear of higher taxes.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:45 PM

Expanding transit in Atlanta harder than renaming MARTA | Torpy

Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 PM

c-dog and p-tech...

What do y'all think of this?

atl
atlanta transit link

atlbus
atlrail {Heavy Rail/Light Metro System...7 lines}
atltrain {Commuter Rail...11 lines}
atltrolley or atltram
atlX {Express Commuter Bus}
atlshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
atlmover {People Mover}
atlgondola {Sky Gondola}
atlride {Public Taxi Ride}
atldecker {Double-Decker, tourist-like dedicated routes}

Old 02-21-2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
c-dog and p-tech...

What do y'all think of this?

atl
atlanta transit link

atlbus
atlrail {Heavy Rail/Light Metro System...7 lines}
atltrain {Commuter Rail...11 lines}
atltrolley or atltram
atlX {Express Commuter Bus}
atlshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
atlmover {People Mover}
atlgondola {Sky Gondola}
atlride {Public Taxi Ride}
atldecker {Double-Decker, tourist-like dedicated routes}
What do I think of what now? The fact that you put the letters "atl" before a bunch of different other words?

Congratulations I guess?

Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What do I think of what now? The fact that you put the letters "atl" before a bunch of different other words?

Congratulations I guess?
I thought you would like it...

Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 PM

Atlanta transit bills headed for votes this week

Quote:
Two bills that could reshape mass transit in metro Atlanta are headed for key votes in the General Assembly this week.

The Senate Transportation Committee today will take up Senate Bill 386, which would create a new board to oversee transit planning and construction in a 13-county region. The House Transportation Committee is expected to take up similar legislation – House Bill 930 – on Thursday.

Both bills would need to pass their respective full houses by Feb. 28, the “Crossover Day” deadline for legislation to pass out of its chamber of origin.

Sen. Brandon Beach told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he expects SB 386 to pass out of the transportation committee today and get a full Senate vote on Friday.

Under both bills, the new regional board would be responsible for establishing a transit plan for the Atlanta region. They would also allow any county in the region to hold a referendum on a transit sales tax of up to 1 percent. But counties would have to select projects included in the regional transit plan.

The goal of both bills is to ensure better coordination of transit service across the Atlanta region. Currently, there are 11 transit operators in the 13-county region (the biggest are MARTA, the state’s Xpress bus service and Cobb and Gwinnett counties, which operate local and express bus service).

Beach says the alphabet soup of agencies makes it hard to coordinate service across county lines. Under SB 386, “you’ll have a unified system instead of a fragmented system,” he said during a committee meeting Tuesday.

Some lawmakers are skeptical. Sen. Lindsey Tippins, R-Marietta, said he’s concerned the regional board will rob communities of local control of their transit services. He’s also concerned that money raised in his Cobb County could be spent elsewhere in the metro region.

Meanwhile, state Rep. Kevin Tanner has been fielding questions about HB 930 in a subcommittee. He expects one more subcommittee meeting before the full House Transportation Committee considers the bill on Thursday.
Lindsey Tippins should be banned from driving and have to get around everywhere using CobbLinc, if he says it's so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta