U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 05:12 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times

Advertisements

Cool! Thanks for sharing. I'm curious to see how the new AV system is going to be at the rail stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,733,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, great. A pdf file. Have they actually done all these things?
You asked..

...research it yourself

Albany Transit System
Multimodal Center

Albany multimodal center gets new life with new grant | WFXL

Gwinnett County
Sugarloaf Mills Park & Ride Upgrade

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/stati...ewShelters.pdf

https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/stati...lsPark7317.pdf

Henry County
Jonesboro Road Park & Ride

Agreement approved for Jonesboro Road park-and-ride location | News | henryherald.com

Old 03-29-2018, 05:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 2,902,450 times
The conference committee reached an agreement:

https://www.myajc.com/news/state--re...odwntSuYsrPeP/

No details yet.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
8:50 p.m. update: The transit conference committee Thursday night formally signed an agreement that would pave the way for transit expansions in Gwinnett, Cobb and Fulton counties and much of the rest of metro Atlanta.
House Bill 930 now goes to the House and Senate for approval.

The final bill largely follows the bill as it passed the House. It would:

*Allow 13 metro Atlanta counties to impose sales taxes of up to 1 percent for mass transit. Fulton County, which already has a .75-percent tax for road and bridge construction, plus the existing 1 percent MARTA tax, would be limited to a .2 percent sales tax.

*Creates a regional board to oversee transit funding and construction. The board would have the final say over the project lists that counties submit to voters. The idea is to coordinate transit projects across county lines.

*Allows Gwinnett County to hold a vote on joining MARTA this year.

* Authorizes a special transit district in Cobb County. The district could ask voters to approve a transit expansion – one that could be paid for with any county revenue sources.

The district’s boundaries would be drawn by a committee consisting of county commissioners and state lawmakers representing the county.
The committee must finish its work in 2019 – under the law, it will be disbanded on Dec. 1 of that year.
Wow, the Cobb special district made it back in at the last second. OK. The district will be drawn up later.

So I guess the whole thing with the mixed transportation referendum for all of Cobb is out, and the transit-only referendum (for only part of the county) is back. I'm cool with that.

Gwinnett is allowed to vote to join MARTA this November, if the county leadership decides to put in on the ballot.

Fulton MARTA expansion is only .2 penny. Weird that it's not .25. I don't get that.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 PM

4,013 posts, read 2,287,940 times
Quote:
Wow, the Cobb special district made it back in at the last second. OK. The district will be drawn up later.

So I guess the whole thing with the mixed transportation referendum for all of Cobb is out, and the transit-only referendum (for only part of the county) is back. I'm cool with that.

Gwinnett is allowed to vote to join MARTA this November, if the county leadership decides to put in on the ballot.

Fulton MARTA expansion is only .2 penny. Weird that it's not .25. I don't get that.
Thats cool. Don't let the backwood thinking people mess it up for the forward thinking people

Old 03-29-2018, 08:23 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
Guessing no funding mechanism was approved?

This is a start, it creates the structure. It's big, but it's not that tangible yet.

I am very concerned how bus-centric all their transit talk has been. Their abuse of the term BRT is getting out of hand. Buses in shared lanes does not qualify as a quality transportation alternative. It's not going to get a significant amount of people out of their car. These lawmakers need to stop thinking about transit as something for someone else and more as something they would want to use.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:32 PM

Apparently the Uber/Lyft tax and the airport concessions tax didn't make it. What the heck? I didn't even know that was controversial.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:44 PM

198 posts, read 72,408 times
Quote:
Apparently the Uber/Lyft tax and the airport concessions tax didn't make it. What the heck? I didn't even know that was controversial.
Yeah it probably shouldn't go to transportation the airport tax. If anything it should just go to the city of Atlanta. It wasn't bringing that much money anyways.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
This is a start, it creates the structure. It's big, but it's not that tangible yet.
As far as the actual transit, each county will determine their own destiny, via their own project list and their own referendum, and only when they're ready for one. That's why this passed- it keeps the local control.

Except on the issue of branding, where it says that all transit from all providers in the 13-county region will be re-branded into one ATL system. Which sort of pushes along the idea of (without forcing) consolidation.

Consolidation means MARTA, via contract, operating more transit in more counties, even potentially in counties that are not MARTA members or that aren't even legally allowed to join MARTA.

Hopefully tomorrow I can read the actual final wording of the bill.

If it's basically the HB, I believe that was the one where MARTA heavy rail is allowed to extend into new counties, without them joining MARTA.

So, for example, Cobb would not have to join MARTA in order to bring the heavy rail line to Six Flags. I think.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:47 PM

Conference bill passed the House an hour ago, and passed in the Senate just this minute (I was watching the live feed.)

So it's a done deal. Headed to the Governor's desk, who is sure to sign it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or