Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:35 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times

Advertisements

I live ITP and I don't live in the MARTA service area. All of ITP is not even covered, let alone the Atlanta metro, in which more people live OTP.

Even if I did live across the river in Fulton, it would still be just as useless. I lived in Fulton for 4 years, rarely had any use at all for MARTA. And the times that I did use it, I could have driven or used Uber just as easily. I was just going out of my way to try to use it because I support the idea of transit.

It needs to go to a lot, lot more places. And I don't even mean just more counties. Rail completely misses huge, vital sections of Atlanta and Fulton and DeKalb. And completely ignores the very built up and urbanized Cobb County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I live ITP and I don't live in the MARTA service area. All of ITP is not even covered, let alone the Atlanta metro, in which more people live OTP.

Even if I did live across the river in Fulton, it would still be just as useless. I lived in Fulton for 4 years, rarely had any use at all for MARTA. And the times that I did use it, I could have driven or used Uber just as easily. I was just going out of my way to try to use it because I support the idea of transit.

It needs to go to a lot, lot more places. And I don't even mean just more counties. Rail completely misses huge, vital sections of Atlanta and Fulton and DeKalb. And completely ignores the very built up and urbanized Cobb County.
MARTA is now looking into more flexible bus options(ART & BRT) that will provide frequent service to areas not located on a rail line. But still, MARTA is the 9th busiest transit system in the US. For you to say it's useless or a joke takes away credit from your statements as you are ignoring the facts. Yes it is useless for millions of people who live in metro Atlanta, but outside it's service area. At the same time, GRTA is useless for those who live ITP.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:54 PM

Well, I'm generalizing. It's not totally useless, no, but it's very difficult for most people to really use, even those that live within its supposed service area. Still will be for many, after these new expansions, as nice as they are. Heck, I live almost within walking distance of the city of Atlanta and MARTA service area, but there's no station anywhere near. If there was one at Mt Paran at the end of the city, I'd personally be totally fine with that.

If Cobb joined MARTA, my attitude would change and be more optimistic, and I would be hugely in favor of that outcome.

But I don't see Cobb joining MARTA as it is now. I do see Cobb raising 1% for some kind of rail transit equivalent, though.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:

It needs to go to a lot, lot more places. And I don't even mean just more counties. Rail completely misses huge, vital sections of Atlanta and Fulton and DeKalb. And completely blocked by the very built up and urbanized Cobb County.
Fixed.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm generalizing. It's not totally useless, no, but it's very difficult for most people to really use, even those that live within its supposed service area. Still will be for many, after these new expansions, as nice as they are. Heck, I live almost within walking distance of the city of Atlanta and MARTA service area, but there's no station anywhere near. If there was one at Mt Paran at the end of the city, I'd personally be totally fine with that.

If Cobb joined MARTA, my attitude would change and be more optimistic, and I would be hugely in favor of that outcome.

But I don't see Cobb joining MARTA as it is now. I do see Cobb raising 1% for some kind of rail transit equivalent, though.
So are we only focusing on rail transit?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:34 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
So if MARTA is absorbed what's going to come of the referendum we just passed?

Old 12-13-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
No change. Surely any consolidation/takeover would have to honor all existing agreements & commitments.

Atlanta's 1.5% sales tax would still pay for transit mostly within its own borders. And Clayton's MARTA deal would still be the same.

Except, both might get a little more than they would have otherwise, if the state were helping to fund the agency.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It was written into the law, that the 0.5% increase can only go towards those projects on the list, approved by city council.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:47 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
I'd personally prefer that, too, since I love the MARTA name/logo/colors/culture/etc.

But, that will never happen, since the north suburbs (with all the political power) are so stigmatized against that name.

And the far more important thing, is the consolidation. So if the name MARTA going away/being re-branded is what it socio-politically takes to vastly improve the metro/regional transit, then, you know, so be it. If it's the same train and the same stations and the same (or better) service, it doesn't really matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, MARTA is part of Atlanta(metro) just as METRO is part of DC and CTA is part of Chicago. These thing identify the cities and areas.

New name for the consolidation:

mat

metro atlanta transit

matbus {local and interurban buses}
matrail {heavy rail+light metro network}
mattrain {commuter rail network}
mattrolley or mattram {trolley/tram/streetcar/light-rail system on surface streets/roads}
matX {express commuter buses}
matshuttle {localized shuttle buses}

Old 12-13-2016, 02:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
MARTA is not going to be absorbed. Not happening, not worth the incredible amount of effort on the state level. The fighting involved would be INTENSE.

What I do see happening is GRTA handling commuter rail across the board and operating it inside the current MARTA service area. I personally think it is silly to have two agencies duplicate services/infrastructure and would lead to completely unnecessary duplicate costs. GRTA is in a good position to handle this, it will be able to expand rail w/o the inevitable intense push back that MARTA would bring along with it, as wrong as that may be.

I'm really looking forward to what they come up with, as long as they don't try to flex their muscle towards MARTA. While my real expectations are low, I am quite optimistic about seeing rail funding from the state fairly soon. Where you at Born 2 Roll?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta