Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

How about one 7 foot bike lane on one side of the road?

Otherwise let's do it and get some buses on the road ASAP. People are tired of walking along in the boiling sun and the freezing rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about one 7 foot bike lane on one side of the road?

Otherwise let's do it and get some buses on the road ASAP. People are tired of walking along in the boiling sun and the freezing rain.
A 2-way, protected cycle track? Two-Way Cycle Tracks - National Association of City Transportation Officials

Old 12-21-2016, 10:03 AM

For BRT to succeed in Atlanta, we must learn from successful systems (Curitiba, BZ https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...s-50-buildings) and failures (Delhi, IN Why Bus Rapid Transit Failed in Delhi - CityLab)
Quote:
The first problem: The special dedicated bus lane was just about six kilometers (3.6 miles) long. After that, the buses would re-enter the flood of regular traffic. "This was too small a corridor to test any pilot because the average route length for bus users in Delhi is about 10 kilometers,” says Amit Bhatt, WRI’s strategy head of integrated urban transport at EMBARQ India, WRI’s sustainable mobility arm. “At least it should have been a corridor that starts at an origin and ends at a destination." (A plan to extend the corridor to 9 miles and build 14 more was never implemented.)

The second issue was that other vehicles, such as school buses, were also allowed into the BRT lane. (For a while, so were cars and two-wheelers.) And third, there was no education about how to safely and efficiently navigate the system and no incentive to change travel behavior. Other Indian cities fared far better on this front: Ahmedabad, for example, launched its 10 miles of BRT with a fleet of high-tech buses, closed bus shelters, and a pre-boarding ticketing system—all free of cost for three months.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 AM

Take survey for Buford Hwy Master Plan.
Buford Highway Masterplan - Home

Old 12-21-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Sounds good to me.

Let it be done.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Take survey for Buford Hwy Master Plan.
Buford Highway Masterplan - Home
Direct Link to the presentation. Also, I took the survey even though I'm not up that way as much as I like. I'll have to swing up to get some delicious Tofu Seafood Soup!

Edit: Worth noting, that they actually included bus lanes in one option. I like their ideas on reusing space, especially with the markets and such. I also like their admittance that they need to consolidate curbcuts. That'll do a lot to help improve the bike / bus / walking experience.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:54 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Direct Link to the presentation. Also, I took the survey even though I'm not up that way as much as I like. I'll have to swing up to get some delicious Tofu Seafood Soup!

Edit: Worth noting, that they actually included bus lanes in one option. I like their ideas on reusing space, especially with the markets and such. I also like their admittance that they need to consolidate curbcuts. That'll do a lot to help improve the bike / bus / walking experience.
They gave a fair bit of attention to the Buford Highway-285 interchange and noted just how badly it needs to be improved. To be honest, I think the whole corridor of 285 from 85 to Peachtree Industrial needs to be rebuilt, complete with C/D lanes like the ones they're about to put at 285/400. That's one of the worst traffic spots in the metro area at rush hour.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
They gave a fair bit of attention to the Buford Highway-285 interchange and noted just how badly it needs to be improved. To be honest, I think the whole corridor of 285 from 85 to Peachtree Industrial needs to be rebuilt, complete with C/D lanes like the ones they're about to put at 285/400. That's one of the worst traffic spots in the metro area at rush hour.
Money...

Old 12-21-2016, 01:25 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Money...
Well yeah. Long-term thing.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM

This is an older story but the insights on Buford highway are good.

Quote:
“There’s certainly the challenge of change and displacing the thing that makes [Buford Highway] special,” Gravel said in an interview at the lounge about the corridor’s highly diverse immigrant culture. “Nowhere else has that sense of identity, that sense of place…There’s nothing else like it” in metro Atlanta or most other suburban corridors nationwide, he said. “What happens to it is really important.”

Without a new kind of culture-focused planning, Gravel told the crowd, Buford’s main asset will be displaced for another generic strip-mall suburb. He suggested turning two lanes of the roadway into bus rapid transit lanes. And instead of pumping money into standard redevelopments, he called for investing in affordable housing or “a venture capital fund for immigrant businesses.”

More.....On ‘bus crawl,’ BeltLine creator pitches ways to save Buford Highway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta