Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 7,861 times

Advertisements

Paideia does not require SSAT scores, but our child had to take it anyway for other schools. Should we include (scored 98%tile) with Paideia application? They said we would have to provide the paper results.

Also I've heard that it "helps to know someone" for Paideia Admissions. Our friend is an alum who sends his kids there. I suppose we can ask him to write a letter (vouching for our family), but I am not a "pull strings" type of person. Plus, I think our child is otherwise a solid candidate, so I am hesitant to take a risk. Should I not have him write a letter, because it'll backfire? OR Should I have him write a letter, because it takes things like that to get in?

Any other 6th grade admissions advice welcome.

Thanks in advance for responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luveybear View Post
Paideia does not require SSAT scores, but our child had to take it anyway for other schools. Should we include (scored 98%tile) with Paideia application? They said we would have to provide the paper results.

Also I've heard that it "helps to know someone" for Paideia Admissions. Our friend is an alum who sends his kids there. I suppose we can ask him to write a letter (vouching for our family), but I am not a "pull strings" type of person. Plus, I think our child is otherwise a solid candidate, so I am hesitant to take a risk. Should I not have him write a letter, because it'll backfire? OR Should I have him write a letter, because it takes things like that to get in?

Any other 6th grade admissions advice welcome.

Thanks in advance for responses
Having had two children go through the private school admissions process, I would recommend doing whatever you can reasonably to do, including having your friend write a nice letter. Our experience with Westminster is that it doesn't hurt. Now, having said that, I don't know for sure if it actually helps.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Having had two children go through the private school admissions process, I would recommend doing whatever you can reasonably to do, including having your friend write a nice letter. Our experience with Westminster is that it doesn't hurt. Now, having said that, I don't know for sure if it actually helps.
Could a letter backfire at a place like Paideia where they try to create an egalitarian environment?

Old 12-28-2016, 03:02 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:
Could a letter backfire at a place like Paideia where they try to create an egalitarian environment?
No, I think the letter is a good idea. One thing about Paideia is that they are eager to see that you are a fit for their unique school culture. The letter might show them that you have a particular interest in their learning approach--and you're not just aimlessly applying because what-the-hell.

You will also get a chance to describe your special interest in the school and fit with the school at the parent meeting. I believe they meet with applicant parents, but I could be confusing them with another school.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:54 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
No, I think the letter is a good idea. One thing about Paideia is that they are eager to see that you are a fit for their unique school culture. The letter might show them that you have a particular interest in their learning approach--and you're not just aimlessly applying because what-the-hell.

You will also get a chance to describe your special interest in the school and fit with the school at the parent meeting. I believe they meet with applicant parents, but I could be confusing them with another school.
I think you're right about that. And I just had an amusing thought. What if the prospective parent walked in wearing a Trump hat or t-shirt? Heads would explode. I'm just teasing Paideia, but they are known to be pretty progressive and left-leaning and I wonder what would happen if an applicant's family was evangelical or super-conservative.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:15 PM

403 posts, read 619,041 times
Quote:

As "egalitarian" as possible when the tuition is $23K per year...

Old 12-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Default Non-answers

Too bad half the responses don't try to answer my questions.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
If you know someone who is a distinguished alum, on the Board of Trustees, or whatever, sure, have him write a letter. It should emphasize that you are a family who fits in with the school culture and will jump right in and get involved. I think that's totally fine to do. You don't want to bombard them with 10 letters of recommendation from your neighbors, coworkers, pastors, and Grandma. That's overkill, but one from someone they know is fine.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM

63 posts, read 79,791 times
I have heard that Paideia relies heavily on who you know in the school, so a letter could help if it is someone you know well and trust. As for the SSAT score, it can't hurt. Just don't submit 100 pieces of paper to go along with it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: