Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:11 PM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
This is my impression as well. It would be interesting searching out Atlanta's home grown retail. I received insight about this dimension of retail in Dallas by reading something Brian Bolke of Forty-Five-Ten had to say. He says Forty-Five-Ten was created as an ode to the retail area of The Miracle Mile shopping district as it existed in the early 80's. It is located along Lovers Lane in University Park. Understand, this was just standard Dallas retail as the so-called outside "luxury" retail had yet to make inroads into Dallas. During this time, it was this area of many Forty-Five-Ten like boutiques lined up and down the street one after the other that took precedence and not Highland Park Village.

I know that Atlanta too has this kind of under the radar homegrown retail because, like Dallas, it is a huge wholesale market place. These serve as a window to the world.

A lot of Atlanta's "homegrown retail" is "Gone With The Wind". I can specifically speak of a couple of hometown Men's chains, Muse's and Zachary's. Both sold traditional Men's clothing and each had a location in most malls. Zachary's was the first to go out of business (I'm guessing in the 1980's) and Muse's followed in the late 1990's. Muse's flagship store was where Pottery Barn now has their two story flagship store at Lenox Square. Surprisingly, H. Stockton is the only one of that group that still exists today with several locations.

There were also a few high end women's stores at Lenox and Phipps which have also bit the dust. Isaacson's which was at Phipps Plaza, is the first I can think of.

Nordstrom at Perimeter Mall has probably filled in the gap for men looking for traditional suits and apparel. That store in total, has about 260,000 sq. ft. and, therefore, can carry more inventory than the Phipps store which has about 140,000 sq. ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 01:33 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
A lot of Atlanta's "homegrown retail" is "Gone With The Wind". I can specifically speak of a couple of hometown Men's chains, Muse's and Zachary's. Both sold traditional Men's clothing and each had a location in most malls. Zachary's was the first to go out of business (I'm guessing in the 1980's) and Muse's followed in the late 1990's. Muse's flagship store was where Pottery Barn now has their two story flagship store at Lenox Square. Surprisingly, H. Stockton is the only one of that group that still exists today with several locations.

There were also a few high end women's stores at Lenox and Phipps which have also bit the dust. Isaacson's which was at Phipps Plaza, is the first I can think of.

Nordstrom at Perimeter Mall has probably filled in the gap for men looking for traditional suits and apparel. That store in total, has about 260,000 sq. ft. and, therefore, can carry more inventory than the Phipps store which has about 140,000 sq. ft.
Guffey's is still around, and has been since 1965. My persnickety, 'old-school' husband has been a patron for years, and wouldn't shop anywhere else.

Guffey's Of Atlanta

Old 01-04-2017, 03:18 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
The people in here though have been very informative. Only the most naive will compare Dallas to Houston which bothers me. You know, a subtle point, having lots of luxury retail is not a good thing. In Dallas, there once existed Dallas homegrown retail located in the tradional shopping stores and districts such as Highland Park Village, the Miracle Mile, Inwood, Preston Center, NorthPark Center Mall, and downtown Dallas. The so-called "luxury" retail located out further in North Dallas in three malls and an out door shopping center. A battle commenced between these two areas and it was a bloodbath. Four luxury department stores were run out of business these being Bloomingdales, Sakowitz, Marshall Fields, and Saks Fifth Avenue. The other two department stores relocated further north to another mall. Meanwhile, the only surviving mall of the three is the Galleria Dallas. The other two have been either demolished and redeveloped in the case of Prestonwood Town Center or is in the process of being demolished and redeveloped in the case of Valley View. The outside shopping center Sakowitz Village has also been redeveloped as well.

In the meantime, the tradional retail of Dallas retail, while it too had received a bloody nose, has come roaring back to life recently. However, central Dallas luxury retail is now becoming a serious competitor to the traditional Dallas retail.

Wouldn't you consider this competition to be the epitomy of dynamic? The fall of all that retail established in North Dallas is tantamount to what exists in Uptown Houston today. Yet, not only has most of that former retail been demolished, but it is now in the process of being redeveloped!

See, this is Dallas. What might happen in Houston in ten years can pop up in a few years in Dallas.
Strikes me that you aren't real familiar with Houston or Atlanta. I live in Atlanta now, lived in Houston many years and went to HS in Dallas. There are definitely differences between Houston and Dallas, but all in all, they are pretty similar compared to non-Texas cities. Sakowitz is a Houston originated chain. Bloomingdales, Marshal Fields and Saks were all in Houston as well as Dallas.

You've had mall battles all over the country. North DeKalb and Northlake have been devasted by Perimeter and Lennox as well as the malls in Gwinnett County (which are now hurting from further out malls). There have been similar struggles by the malls on the southside of Atlanta. The Woodlands Mall and Willowbrook Mall crushed Greenspoint and Northwest Malls in North Houston. Town & Country Mall was a loser and got re-developed in the battle with the Galleria and Memorial City in West Houston. Westbury Square, Sharpstown (once Houston's premier Mall) and Westwood Mall all got crushed by the Galleria and Sugarland Mall in Southwest Houston.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:55 PM

254 posts, read 191,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Strikes me that you aren't real familiar with Houston or Atlanta. I live in Atlanta now, lived in Houston many years and went to HS in Dallas. There are definitely differences between Houston and Dallas, but all in all, they are pretty similar compared to non-Texas cities. Sakowitz is a Houston originated chain. Bloomingdales, Marshal Fields and Saks were all in Houston as well as Dallas.

You've had mall battles all over the country. North DeKalb and Northlake have been devasted by Perimeter and Lennox as well as the malls in Gwinnett County (which are now hurting from further out malls). There have been similar struggles by the malls on the southside of Atlanta. The Woodlands Mall and Willowbrook Mall crushed Greenspoint and Northwest Malls in North Houston. Town & Country Mall was a loser and got re-developed in the battle with the Galleria and Memorial City in West Houston. Westbury Square, Sharpstown (once Houston's premier Mall) and Westwood Mall all got crushed by the Galleria and Sugarland Mall in Southwest Houston.
You can compare Houston to chopped liver if you want. I think you fail to appreciate the fierce competition that goes on in Dallas. The Uptown area of Houston today, often called a retail mecca, compares favorably to what the North Dallas retail area once was thirty years ago. There were four shopping centers within an area of 1.5 square miles in North Dallas. Sakowitz built its own outdoor shopping center in which to anchor a luxury department store. The Dallas Gallera had a Saks Fifth Avenue and a Marshall Fields. Valley View Mall had a Bloomingdales. Finally, Prestonwood Center mall had a Lord & Taylor and a Neiman Marcus.

These all got their butts kicked by the traditional retail I mentioned or, in the case of Neiman Marcus and Lord &Taylor, relocated further north to Willowbend Mall. Dallas doesn't have a Bloomingdales or a Saks Fifth Avenue today. Neiman Marcus was able to hold serve.

In Houston, the only worry for the Houston Galleria is the River Oaks District. In Dallas, the traditional powerhouse shopping centers of Highland Park Village and NorthPark Center have to worry about the new burgeoning shopping centers and districts going on in downtown Dallas, Uptown Dallas, and Knox Henderson. There are also growing luxury retail districts outside of Dallas happening in Fort Worth, Southlake, and Plano.

Sorry, once again, I don't see the evidence suggesting that Houston and Dallas compare.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM

254 posts, read 191,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post

One has to ask the locals n Atlanta to find out the location of its regal shopping centers. While the traditional expensive luxury stores will sell merchandise from around the world, the more moderate regal ones will also sell merchandise from around the world. This phenomenon happens in both Atlanta and Dallas because of their extensive wholesale market centers and districts.

Some of the regal shopping centers in Dallas are the Plaza at Preston Center, Inwood Village, Snider Plaza, the Shops at Park Lane, and West Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta