U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:45 AM

95 posts, read 46,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You might check with someone at the Druid Hills Civic Association about the quiet zone. They are active and would probably know the history.
Great, thanks! I haven't seen the sign, and if there is one, they aren't abiding by it 😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 01:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 7,449,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Uh, I wouldn't necessarily say the Parkline sees shorter trains. Of note are Q194, Intermodal to Charlotte, and Q192/192, Intermodal to Montreal. Less trains, yes, but still normal ones.
As I mentioned some mainline trains do go through there, but they are limited. There are a number of local delivery trains between Hulsey yard and places along the Seaboard Line in the Atlanta area.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Vol View Post
That's interesting information. Seems to me if they're already slower moving trains, and the bulk of the crossing safety infrastructure already exists, it wouldn't be arduous to add an arm and apply to the FRA for the quiet zone. I'm new to the area, but I wouldn't exactly call the Coventry crossing sparsely populated; it's in the middle of rather large residential area.

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject, but you also seem to think getting a quiet zone is an unlikely proposition. Has anyone tried?
I would call it sparsely populated

I mean what I trying to say is it has very low densities to be so close to the city. I don't mean to equate it to being in the Chattahoochee National Forest or the middle of Wyoming.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-84.2963123

To the west you have the Fernbank Forest, a golf course, several creeks in the area. It is close to Emory and Decatur's downtown, but far enough away that isn't relevant to the rail crossing noise. The lots are large enough that you have more tree cover than most adjacent neighborhoods.

When you get a chance play with aerial maps some and just consider the conexts of your neighborhood and how the areas around you and the other neighborhoods throughout town look.

You're isn't the only one like this, but I have always found these fascinating in our town.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-84.2963123

Old 01-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Vol View Post

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject, but you also seem to think getting a quiet zone is an unlikely proposition. Has anyone tried?
I don't know. I just think it is a low-impact spot both in terms of CSX's operations and in terms of how many people are affected.

The fact that East Lake has one is a good sign, but that also came as they re-did the entire street and it is more busily traveled.

I'm just want to tool with details that CSX would look at. I agree with bu2. Id also contact the city of Decatur and Dekalb County transportation department. According to the google map I posted above the crossing will be in Dekalb and not Decatur, but Decatur stops just short of the crossing.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:22 PM

One more thing....

One relevant detail I am making an assumption on, but I don't actually know and you probably would.

What time do the trains stop and start going through the area? I wouldn't be surprised if they only operated between certain hours on that Belt, but that is admittedly an assumption on my part.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:01 PM

They run all day & night. I haven't seen a particular schedule yet.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:04 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,541,518 times
The thought of a CSX "quiet zone" struck me as both wonderful and hilarious as someone who lives half a mile from Hulsey Yard, but can hear it beeping and banging all throughout the night.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 AM

5,243 posts, read 4,507,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The thought of a CSX "quiet zone" struck me as both wonderful and hilarious as someone who lives half a mile from Hulsey Yard, but can hear it beeping and banging all throughout the night.
They made the crossing at Rubgy Ave in College Park a quiet zone and it has made a world of difference. I am many blocks away, but it eliminated a major nuisance. Really surprises me that it took them up to prob 2015 before it was built. Why did people put up with it for so long, does the quiet zone/crossing involve any new technology? Looks like it is just a big curb and extra arms

Old 01-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
They made the crossing at Rubgy Ave in College Park a quiet zone and it has made a world of difference. I am many blocks away, but it eliminated a major nuisance. Really surprises me that it took them up to prob 2015 before it was built. Why did people put up with it for so long, does the quiet zone/crossing involve any new technology? Looks like it is just a big curb and extra arms
It looks like the Coventry Rd location already has the bulk of the infrastructure in place. It would need an arm to be installed for sure, but how expensive can that be. Frankly, I find it a little absurd they aren't all made to be quiet zones when they impact residential areas this significantly. Seems to me it's safer to have an arm in place over a horn anyway.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM

28,639 posts, read 25,424,450 times
Railroad noise doesn't bother me too much but I have always wondered about the safety of that crossing on Coventry because of all the vegetation.

Seems to me it ought to have crossbucks.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7802...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or