Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:46 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,361,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
I'm saying that if the government wasn't involved in guaranteeing bad investments (loans to students who have a low likelihood of earning a salary conducive toward repaying) that the industry would correct itself. Why should the government guarantee bad investments? Let this go to the free market and let them price what a loan should cost, thus filling the gap. A med school loan would certainly be priced differently than $200,000 undergraduate loans for an Art History major. There are differing levels of risk associated with loaning that money. Why should those students be treated the same when the risk level clearly isn't the same. This is a basic concept. I went to school with people who racked up $100,000 in debt in the early 00's, but it wasn't a huge deal because they were engineers who started making $60,000+ right out of college. They had capacity to pay back their loans. Who are the ones complaining about student loan debt? Not these people. It is the people who take big loans in programs that offer little or no payback. The losers in life are the ones looking for relief from bad financial decisions. College isn't for everyone, yet every B- student gets pushed into college. Send them to skilled trade schools and set them up for a productive career that is more fitting for their intellectual capability.

Also, why do you think college costs have skyrocketed? There is little to no price pressure from students going to school because "Hey, I can get a loan for anything." This only feeds the cycle that students are in now.
I will say that there are certain things I agree with. I don't believe that universities/colleges should have majors for industries that are experiencing dramatic decline or are already almost obsolete. It's unethical. But let's take social work for example. Long ago I considered this field and was shocked to see that they typically require a master's along with licensing, etc. That bachelor's and master's would not be good investments by what you say but social workers are still very much needed in our economy. I know that I would not choose social work because the pay is very very low while they want you to have this degree and this experience all for what? Their case load is crazy and I can't even imagine their stress level. Do you believe that the government should not invest in case workers? We need them and it isn't their fault that the pay for the industry is low. Government has slashed funding for them along with everything else that benefits the masses.

College costs have skyrocketed in a large part because the state has reduced spending for post secondary education. It's a huge reason why Georgia has among the highest out-of-state tuition in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Age requirements for the military are pretty darn lenient. If you are 40 and looking for education, you are so far behind in life that you are paying the tax for poor life decisions.

Don't want the military, get an academic scholarship. Can't because you aren't smart enough? Work your way through school. Less keggers, more 40 hr work weeks. It can be done. Many have done it. Work hard, take out minimal loans and get a degree that is valued by society, thus giving you long-term income potential.

Life is tough. If you make bad decisions, you get punished. If you work hard and make good decisions, odds are you will succeed.

Since you are wondering, I got my education, to include 2 postgraduate degrees via military service. Nothing is free. I worked hard and made good life choices and I am being rewarded handsomely with my professional career.

You know what...I think I was thinking of entering as an officer (Navy). I remember the cut off being 32. This is what I was referring to but I stand corrected.

One thing though, you can't tell people if they want an education to just join the military. The military is not for everyone. It should not be seen as a last resort or something to just use to get what you want in life. People should be proud to want to serve in the military.

I've already responded to the second paragraph in another post. Not everyone makes bad decisions in life who can't attend university and it does not mean that they are lazy either. Like I said in a previous post, there was a woman in my class who was working hard to put herself through school. She had to choose between a roof over her head and an education. She chose the former.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Amen. As someone going into the upper income levels for the U.S., I am perfectly okay with paying more in taxes so that later generations may reap the rewards.
We need more people in the world like this who are not selfish.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I don't get this. Harvard and Emory aren't good because they charge so much?

Won't that interfere with one's right to a college education?
I think the point the person was trying to make is that a more expensive education does not necessarily equal a more quality education.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I see you two have no sympathy for the people struggling to make a living and support families, especially those without a college education, and want them to pay more taxes to support those who want one and have the opportunity to do so. You are going to get yours and don't care what happens to them.

You also seem to want to restrict college only to the best and brightest. So you have no sympathy for late bloomers. You want everyone's destiny determined by their 12th grade SAT score.

See, the left can be insulted as insensitive and only wanting to help their own as well. We do see comments like the one you like often. Waaayyy too often.
Really? The funding would most likely not come from those people but people who earn a great deal more. I think the richest in our society should foot the bill. It's crazy that these days a lot of C.E.O.'s earn more than 400 times their average worker. People think that the U.S. is going broke but all the wealth is going into the hands of a few. What was the statistic? 1 per cent of the country owns a third of the wealth? That's beyond crazy. Democracy? I don't think so. Isn't that what we call a plutocracy when the country is controlled by the most wealthy instead of the masses?

As for your second paragraph, I don't know where you got that from. Are you making things up?

I don't even know why I responded to this post. Please don't post unless you have something to contribute to the discussion.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 AM

643 posts, read 571,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The studies show that Republicans give more to charity on average at every income level than Democrats. Republicans put their money where their mouth is. Democrats want other people to pay for these things and want to tell other people how to spend their money.
This.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Wouldn't allowing these people to get free education be it a 4 year degree or a vocational program a way to help them get out of a struggling situation?

How is free education limiting college to anyone? The same education requirements would be there regardless and you can go at any time.
Exactly why I regret even responding to that post.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
As a business owner,you do know FREE education is impossible and not smart.Colleges are a business the student fees pays for the teachers,books,college equipment,etc...

So no a FREE education isn't even economic sense..

Please read all the other posts. They have responded to this already.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
And yet the states and counties with the highest percentage of people on government services vote heavily Republican, like WV, KY, etc. And yes, democrats want tax money to be used for education and healthcare. Republicans want tax money to be used for military upgrades and breaks on estate taxes for billionaires. So Republicans tell "other people how to spend their money" as well, they just prefer they spend it on things that benefit themselves rather than society.

Exactly! The states that benefit most from social welfare programs are the ones that pay the least into it, which tend to be republican. That's a fact! Poverty also tends to be much higher in these states.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:19 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,604,833 times
Quote:
No. Take away government guaranteed loans also. Make people make reasonable, market priced decisions.

You want to get a degree in Electrical Engineering (and have an academic background that will looks like you have the aptitude to achieve that goal), here is a loan with a lower interest rate. You will, assuming you graduate, be able to pay back the loans and should make $100k relatively quickly.

You want a loan for some degree in african american interpretive dance studies? Good luck finding someone willing to finance that garbage.
While you might dream of turning the US into one of the Stans in the middle east, 90% of all Americans want low cost public education. Free College education studies have shown will provide a much higher return on investment.

Also showing your white power/racial hate on the forum is very distasteful. African American Interpretive dance studies shows your true colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta