Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:29 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
While you might dream of turning the US into one of the Stans in the middle east, 90% of all Americans want low cost public education. Free College education studies have shown will provide a much higher return on investment.

Also showing your white power/racial hate on the forum is very distasteful. African American Interpretive dance studies shows your true colors.
Which is one of the main reasons so many people voted for Trump. A lot of white people are afraid of losing the power they have and feel threatened. Typical propaganda...run a campaign of fear/hatred to manipulate people. It's a good idea. Our media does it all the time and that's why this country can go to war at any time because people are very easily manipulated. And you see how a lot of people have this energy towards not wanting free tuition? I bet you if it was a war they wouldn't be as enthusiastic about preventing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
We need more people in the world like this who are not selfish.
Thank you.

I never truly lived in soul-crushing poverty, or, at least it didn't register if we did when I was a kid. We did, however, have our fair share of finance-destroying medical bills, estates that were robbed of their value due to litigation and which were now sinks and unsellable, and continuing legal expenses over a variety of petty family issues.

I never went hungry, but I am rather sure that the reduced / free lunch program at school went a great deal to that.

We were lucky to have the social security coming in from a passed family member to help pay bills.

We were lucky to have reduced-cost state medical insurance for me while my father went without, relying on friends in the medical profession to provide care when something went bad.

Even so, I was lucky enough to have a family that helped us make it through some rough times in addition to this aid. Were it not for the further help of that family, it is unlikely I would have been able to make it through the schooling that I did, even with grants, financial assistance, and loans.

I may not have lived in the gehtto or some poor backwater town, but I got enough taste of what living is like at that level, either through my own experience, through my friends in school, or through our traveling (typically to handle estate things) to see just how solidifying a lot of that can be.

I wholeheartedly believe that increased access to education is necessary to bridge the historic gaps in income inequality in this country, provide a way to pull oneself up from economic depression, and to end seemingly endless cycles of poverty, and so I agree with paying more so that others who might not have been as lucky as me can have a chance.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:59 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Thank you.

I never truly lived in soul-crushing poverty, or, at least it didn't register if we did when I was a kid. We did, however, have our fair share of finance-destroying medical bills, estates that were robbed of their value due to litigation and which were now sinks and unsellable, and continuing legal expenses over a variety of petty family issues.

I never went hungry, but I am rather sure that the reduced / free lunch program at school went a great deal to that.

We were lucky to have the social security coming in from a passed family member to help pay bills.

We were lucky to have reduced-cost state medical insurance for me while my father went without, relying on friends in the medical profession to provide care when something went bad.

Even so, I was lucky enough to have a family that helped us make it through some rough times in addition to this aid. Were it not for the further help of that family, it is unlikely I would have been able to make it through the schooling that I did, even with grants, financial assistance, and loans.

I may not have lived in the gehtto or some poor backwater town, but I got enough taste of what living is like at that level, either through my own experience, through my friends in school, or through our traveling (typically to handle estate things) to see just how solidifying a lot of that can be.

I wholeheartedly believe that increased access to education is necessary to bridge the historic gaps in income inequality in this country, provide a way to pull oneself up from economic depression, and to end seemingly endless cycles of poverty, and so I agree with paying more so that others who might not have been as lucky as me can have a chance.
I, too, have never experienced poverty, and yet I have empathy for those who do unlike so many posting on this thread. I also spent over a year living in Denmark for a training program from my job, and the difference is night and day. Everyone is happy. There are no panhandlers and almost no poverty. Crime is basically non existent. It all comes from a strong safety net - when you have government healthcare, education, stipends, etc it is almost impossible to fall through the cracks. What's amazing is all of these far right conservative posters who will vote against all of these safety nets, then complain about the crime and blight of cities and move to little gated subdivisions out I'm the suburbs. It's also convenient that many of them ignore most of my points on this thread, like the fact that the only difference between Republican and Democratic tax policies is that you're money is going toward the military and corporate subsidies instead of healthcare and food. Why is it noble or "Godly" to go out and fight to ensure your tax money is spent on ANYTHING but the poor? It's like there's some deep seated resentment that other people receive any help in life, so these people would rather their tax dollars go to a tax loophole for Exxon than a starving single mom trying to survive working 80 hours a week. No problem with Exxon begging for government handouts, but the single mom is a useless wench who needs to "pull herself up by the bootstraps" with absolutely no support. It is people like the posters on this thread that keep America from becoming a first world civilized country.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Thank you.

Yeah, I benefited from reduced/free lunch too. I'm glad they started addressing the issue of there being hungry kids in school. A lot of the times students wouldn't perform well due to being hungry.

Health care is ridiculously expensive in the U.S. I think if I were to need surgery (obviously not immediate), I'd have to seriously consider Cuba because medical bills can certainly break you. I remember hearing a story of this lady who was successful in her life. She had a business and then later on was diagnosed with cancer. Basically all the money she had earned went into paying her medical bills and she was left with nothing. It was a sad story. It made me think wow she worked hard her entire life only to end up broke.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I, too, have never experienced poverty, and yet I have empathy for those who do unlike so many posting on this thread. I also spent over a year living in Denmark for a training program from my job, and the difference is night and day. Everyone is happy. There are no panhandlers and almost no poverty. Crime is basically non existent. It all comes from a strong safety net - when you have government healthcare, education, stipends, etc it is almost impossible to fall through the cracks. What's amazing is all of these far right conservative posters who will vote against all of these safety nets, then complain about the crime and blight of cities and move to little gated subdivisions out I'm the suburbs. It's also convenient that many of them ignore most of my points on this thread, like the fact that the only difference between Republican and Democratic tax policies is that you're money is going toward the military and corporate subsidies instead of healthcare and food. Why is it noble or "Godly" to go out and fight to ensure your tax money is spent on ANYTHING but the poor? It's like there's some deep seated resentment that other people receive any help in life, so these people would rather their tax dollars go to a tax loophole for Exxon than a starving single mom trying to survive working 80 hours a week. No problem with Exxon begging for government handouts, but the single mom is a useless wench who needs to "pull herself up by the bootstraps" with absolutely no support. It is people like the posters on this thread that keep America from becoming a first world civilized country.
Empathy is really something our society lacks. We are actually taught to be selfish because the individual is stressed so much. Maybe it's because of the way I was born why I have learned to empathize so much in my life. I never lived in poverty but lived during times when my family was poor. I like that there are some people on this thread that are acknowledging they had help because truth to told, no one is an island to themselves. I'm getting help right now. I live with family. I used to live on my own but had to move back home. A few years ago I earned twice what I do now, which enabled me to have my own place but now I earn only half that and so I definitely am benefiting from having a place to stay. I work full time and am trying to attain state residency (long story). It's proving difficult and I can't afford out-of-state due to student loans not covering it. I can definitely relate to people who struggle to afford education. Anyway, I don't like talking about myself. I really appreciate everyone's posts.

With regards to Denmark, when people experience unemployment, the government helps them out so that they don't become homeless. Should they need to learn a new trade, education is paid for by the citizens and so they can always return to school to learn something new and get back out in the workforce. Men have paternity leave and I want to say it is equal to that of maternity leave. You learn to live instead of living to work. I'm pretty sure their citizens get at least a month in vacation a year.

Poor people are so demonized in our society. I have never understood the extreme negativity that comes along with being poor.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,060 times
Quote:

Poor people are so demonized in our society. I have never understood the extreme negativity that comes along with being poor.

Because of Republican politicians. In order to manipulate their voters, they use the Bible, claiming it explicitly states that gay people and abortions will lead to hell. Unfortunately, the Bible also states that poor people are deserving of help and support. So, they gloss over that part and instead focus on how poor people are failures undeserving of hand outs. They quote non-existent Bible verses like "God helps those who help themselves" to absolve themselves of any responsibility to their fellow man. This allows Republicans to manipulate their voters endlessly - just interpret the Bible however suits their needs at the moment. That's why you'll find that while historically Christians were all about helping the poor, they now actively hate them and demand they take care of themselves. A very gullible group of voters looking for someone else to tell them it's okay and even Godly to be selfish and full of hatred.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
The idea that there is a lack of access is the biggest myth out there. There are a plethora of scholarships available, especially for the underprivileged.

Anyone who wants a free education can serve 4 years in the military. 100% tuition paid for after that plus a living stipend while you go to school.

Nothing is free. If you want it, there is a path to it and you have to be willing to work.

If you want it, you can have it. You just have to get off your ass and stop making excuses.
Wholly agree with you, Mike.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Exactly! The states that benefit most from social welfare programs are the ones that pay the least into it, which tend to be republican. That's a fact! Poverty also tends to be much higher in these states.
Is there some link or citation to this "fact"?

Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Because of Republican politicians. In order to manipulate their voters, they use the Bible, claiming it explicitly states that gay people and abortions will lead to hell. Unfortunately, the Bible also states that poor people are deserving of help and support. So, they gloss over that part and instead focus on how poor people are failures undeserving of hand outs. They quote non-existent Bible verses like "God helps those who help themselves" to absolve themselves of any responsibility to their fellow man. This allows Republicans to manipulate their voters endlessly - just interpret the Bible however suits their needs at the moment. That's why you'll find that while historically Christians were all about helping the poor, they now actively hate them and demand they take care of themselves. A very gullible group of voters looking for someone else to tell them it's okay and even Godly to be selfish and full of hatred.

Pure manipulation. I am so glad I have the brains not to believe in the bible. I think if more people actually read the bible they would see it for what it is. I tried to ignore parts of the bible I did not like but came to a part I could not ignore. Anyway, doesn't the bible say that the meek and the poor shall inherit the kingdom while the rich...it will be like a camel trying to pass the eye of a needle? That part is often forgotten.

You said something about Christians helping out in the past. I have not seen the members of any religion help people without spreading their religion. They are not just helping but getting people into their doctrine. They do this is many Latin American and African countries. They (Christians) know they are dying out in the U.S. and Western Europe and so they are fighting for their lives by creating new lies I mean life wink wink lol abroad.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Is there some link or citation to this "fact"?
You can find it if you look for it. I thought it was common knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta