Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 04:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbatlanta View Post
Ask any inner city high school teacher about that. They definitely are not. Think of the physical altercations students have. These things are so common they rarely make the news. Sad but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
One time in class a metal cross beam on a desk fell off. My teacher took it and said "At my old school this would be a shank". She taught somewhere in south Atlanta.

So true, because APS is actively hiding students shanking each other on the daily, along with the occasional teacher. You guys have got to be kidding. Maybe instead of coming online and spreading lies and mis information you could go volunteer at some of these schools or one of the many after school programs in the city. Hit me on the PM and I'll give you the appropriate contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that's unacceptable.

But surely our good public schools are every bit as safe as any private.
They are. For every DM Therrell or South Atlanta there is a Grady or North Atlanta. And even with the hood schools, I don't think a lot of these people saying stuff like that realize how many of the knuckleheads drop out by 10th grade. I went to what would be considered a "hood school" and most of the really bad kids were in the streets by soph. year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 04:31 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I think that rub is not that it's self-segregation --you can argue almost every choice you make is a sort of self-segregation--where you live, worship, eat, play whatever. But Pemgrim's post reads as if the only/main purpose of private schools is to wall folks off socioeconomically, ideologically, or racially. While those may be goals of some/many parents, I am sure that the purpose of private schools for many/most parents is just to have their child learn as much as possible, and develop habits that will make them successful in life.
Agreed. For a better education or for more self-discipline (in a Catholic or military school environment) isn't really some sort of segregation.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:34 PM

50 posts, read 84,349 times
In my experience with public schools (full disclosure-I attended one too!) they refuse to post matriculation lists. Even the good ones. Most schools will have that 1-5kids out of 400+ who go to a great college but what does the middle/upper 1/2 do? You will never really know. We lived in several school districts since having children. My husband was calling principals when my baby was in diapers! In all districts we lived in, none would post a matriculation list. This is useful information. As far a UGA being a popular choice for the big schools--UGA has a reputation of being very difficult to get into if you are not a straight A student. I think 50% of the class being accepted is great. I believe Westminster's last class also had 10%???go Ivy League. If I remember correctly. These schools all post their matriculation.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:36 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post

So true, because APS is actively hiding students shanking each other on the daily, along with the occasional teacher. You guys have got to be kidding. Maybe instead of coming online and spreading lies and mis information you could go volunteer at some of these schools or one of the many after school programs in the city. Hit me on the PM and I'll give you the appropriate contact info.

They are. For every DM Therrell or South Atlanta there is a Grady or North Atlanta. And even with the hood schools, I don't think a lot of these people saying stuff like that realize how many of the knuckleheads drop out by 10th grade. I went to what would be considered a "hood school" and most of the really bad kids were in the streets by soph. year.
Middle schools are where it tends to get really bad. Some kids grow up. Some learn to deal with their raging hormones. Some get expelled. Some drop out. In my own experience, I went to a Junior High where one day a friend and I lost track after counting 35 fights that we personally saw. The next year at High School with basically the same kids and I only saw one fight all year. And the kids broke it up within about 15 seconds.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post

I attended a school like this. Fights in the cafeteria/yard/bathroom/bus almost everyday. I quit running track b/c a Gil constantly (many bus rides) spit on me on the bus---nothing was ever done. It was not safe. But I had no other option. To deny that schools like this exist-students cursing at and threatening teachers! You have to know they exist & it is heartbreaking that parents have to send their kids there.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Middle schools are where it tends to get really bad. Some kids grow up. Some learn to deal with their raging hormones. Some get expelled. Some drop out. In my own experience, I went to a Junior High where one day a friend and I lost track after counting 35 fights that we personally saw. The next year at High School with basically the same kids and I only saw one fight all year. And the kids broke it up within about 15 seconds.
35 fights? Dude I went to some rough schools and I never saw 35 fights in one day. Never. Where was this? I'm sure it wasn't here.. Full Disclosure- I got kicked out of North Atlanta High for fighting on the last day of classes my 9th grade year. And I didn't even start it, I got jumped by 3 other guys and they kicked all 4 of us out. APS does not play that mess at all. They will kick you out and send you to night school or some other alternative program in a hot second. All this fights happen daily and other violence is so common that the local news won't even report it is a bunch of hogwash and fairy tales from people who never even set foot in any of tbese schools. I am an APS product and I still am actively involved with youth in this city. The kids you see on the nightly news for shooting and carjacking at gas stations aren't going to school. To equate one with the other is just pure laziness IMO.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:48 PM

These are the low performing suburban or urban schools though----not the high performing suburban schools. The people who seem to care about private vs public are people who have kids in good suburban schools--similarly segregated as they may be.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I attended a school like this. Fights in the cafeteria/yard/bathroom/bus almost everyday. I quit running track b/c a Gil constantly (many bus rides) spit on me on the bus---nothing was ever done. It was not safe. But I had no other option. To deny that schools like this exist-students cursing at and threatening teachers! You have to know they exist & it is heartbreaking that parents have to send their kids there.
Went to NAH and BT Washington dude. Fights happened but it was like once a month. For the last time, in APS, the thugs and class clowns who don't care about learning drop out after 9th grade. If you had fights everyday at your school I'd say you didn't really go to a true hood school. Usually it was those suburban kids who tried to act gangsta who fought all the time like that because they felt that had something to prove. If you were at Washington and woke up one day and wanted to be a gangsta, you just wouldn't go to class. You'd just go to Simpson with a pack and hit the block. Wasn't no need to go to school and do all that when you had the real thing right down the street

Old 01-12-2017, 05:15 PM

The discussion was "Are private schools safer than public"? Yes!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The discussion was "Are private schools safer than public"? Yes!
But the thread clearly says good or great public schools vs private schools. But yet people in here continue to throw out the worst examples at best or just out right make up stuff at worst. I don't think anyone on here is debating private schools as a whole public schools as a whole, of course private schools as a whole would be better. But all schools aren't created the same and there are good public schools here, and this thread was initially about those areas with good zoned schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta