Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 07:12 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
It's not the idea of them being clones, but the position itself should predicate you to act with a modicum of respect, integrity, honor for what you are saying, doing.

I agree, Bill Clinton wasn't a good example, but neither was W Bush in many ways, but at least they tried to have some degree of the great responsibility they were taking. They weren't perfect people, jeesh even Nixon had a relative respect for the position and the people, to some degree.

They knew that what you say as President has real and serious implications both nationally and internationally. Sometimes you can't tell it like it is, because that has real consequences. What we've seen so far from Trump is he isn't even trying in that regard, he blurts out what he's thinking, sometimes there needs to be more tact, one can only hope his handlers have some input, but I don't see it as he's continuing to insult any and everyone for the smallest slight, sometimes the bigger man, the person that represents everyone needs to stay out of it or focus his attack, and not broad brush everything and pick at every little detail or slight that comes his way.

I get it, he won't listen to someone like me, he doesn't represent what I believe and that's fine I have moved on as much as possible.

The question I have though is, when he doesn't do something people who support him want, perhaps related to his business interests, Goldman Sachs, oil, economy, jobs, or any number of other potential issues out there and won't answer those questions, or outright attacks those on his side if they question him, how will you react?
Me personally? The same as when Obama or Bush did something I didn't like. Voice my disagreement, do what I can to work the issue (write legislators and congressmen, debate with people, etc.), and move on.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:33 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I bailed out of that PoS program a year ago after they tried to raise my premium to $1,100 per month for a plan with a $12K deductible. No thanks! It's all yours and feel free to donate to whoever you want, won't make a difference... Hopefully you guys will continue the tantrums and nonsense and lose another 900+ over the next 8 years.

"Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats."

Enjoy the next 8 years.
Are you aware that it's common for the president's party to lose seats during their term? Notice how many seats were Democrat in 2009 on your graph, that's because of Bush.

That graph will reverse itself starting in 2018. There is no conservative wave, just normal ebb and flow of parties that occurs constantly. Read up on history a bit before you comment. A relevant quote for you:

The GOP’s national and local resurgence under the Democratic-controlled White House is not surprising, in part, because of the historical trend for two-term presidencies. Political analysts say it’s a sure thing that a political party prospers when it wins the White House but loses its influence across the country soon after. Remember that before the 2010 and 2012 elections, Democrats made positive gains in the 2006 and 2008 elections, said Larry Sabato, a political expert at the University of Virginia Center for Politics.

"You have a pretty consistent pattern of surge and decline, and you can trace it throughout the two-party era in American politics," Sabato said.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:38 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Take away the massively one-sided vote in Cali (Hil +4.4mil), a different ball game. But, then the Cali vote only counts in the fairyland world of a Democracy. We are not, have never been. We are a Democratic Republic, with all that implies, including - inconvenient truth coming here - the Electoral College.

For 240 years.
This is probably one the dumbest arguments I've seen from Republicans to explain away his popular vote loss. "Ignore the largest state in the country and he won the popular vote!!!"

Okay, I can play that game too. Ignore the useless flyover states and Hillary won the electoral vote.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:26 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Take away the massively one-sided vote in Cali (Hil +4.4mil), a different ball game. But, then the Cali vote only counts in the fairyland world of a Democracy. We are not, have never been. We are a Democratic Republic, with all that implies, including - inconvenient truth coming here - the Electoral College.

For 240 years.
I don't know why so many conservatives have a hard time reading the dictionary.

We are most definitely a democracy. I've bolded the appropriate parts of the definition to help you.

Democracy | Define Democracy at Dictionary.com

democracy
[dih-mok-ruh-see]

noun, plural democracies.
1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government:
The United States and Canada are democracies.
3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.
5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

Putting things in a broader context for you, you need to understand two additional points.

1. A democractic republic is a form of democracy.
2. A democratic republic in no way implies the electoral college for presidential elections. If we had a popular vote for president we would still be a democratic republic and an indirect democracy.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:07 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Just trying to follow the news every day, I always get so angry about this ridiculous man. But, to wake up and read that my incoming POTUS just literally, specifically trolled Atlanta, calling it "horrible" and "crime infested"? What an ignorant person.

John Lewis said it. This is an illegitimate presidency. The sooner it's over and just a sad page of history, the better.
I guess he just assumed that since John Lewis is black his Congressional district must be "horrible" and "crime infested" also.
This is a man who spent 5 years worrying about if President Obama was a American citizen because of his race & name.
Buckle down ATL & America if you think race relations are going to get better under TrumpPutin !

Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 PM

52 posts, read 74,416 times
To eliminate emotions and look at FACTS:

1. Download the Spot Crime app.
2. Located Lewis's district on the Spot Crime app.
3. Check out the crimes in this area,
4. Realize that no matter how you feel about Trump, he was right about calling this area a cesspool. The dems in this area care only about power and could care less about families in this area kept capitive by crime.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:21 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdog View Post

4. Realize that no matter how you feel about Trump, he was right about calling this area a cesspool. The dems in this area care only about power and could care less about families in this area kept capitive by crime.
Problem with apps, websites, maps, and statistics like this is they don't account for two problems:

1) population density

and

2) The daytime / visiting / entertainment population that frequent an area, but don't live there.

Areas that are heavily frequented have more crime and they have a higher ratio of crime to residents, but it isn't because it is more unsafe for residents, it is merely that far more people frequent the area for events, business, entertainment, etc...

Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) is alive and well. It's certainly fun watching you Liberals melt down. *4 Days and counting - tick, tock, tick, tock. BTW, How do you say cheers in Russian? I'll be going out tomorrow to grab some vodka for Friday's celebration.

Here you go, better practice. >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7YfQIcpyNU

Old 01-15-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugdog View Post

We've entered a post fact world, as evidenced by Trump's election despite the deluge of non-factual information he offered up in the campaign. Conservatives now seem to have a separate set of facts within their safe echo chambers on just about any issue.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome) is alive and well. It's certainly fun watching you Liberals melt down. *4 Days and counting - tick, tock, tick, tock. BTW, How do you say cheers in Russian? I'm going out tomorrow to buy some vodka for Friday's celebration.

Here you go, better practice. >
Oh yes, I'm sure the Kremlin is having a collective orgasm too over what they've achieved.

A completely incompetent clown with a pro Russian bent has just been elected POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta