Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times

Advertisements

I still have a really difficult time understanding what makes these bridges so awful but this one so great:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7733...7i13312!8i6656

Just don't get it. I fail to comprehend how providing a place for pedestrians to walk without having to wait for a cross signal and choke on car fumes is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I still have a really difficult time understanding what makes these bridges so awful but this one so great:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7733...7i13312!8i6656

Just don't get it. I fail to comprehend how providing a place for pedestrians to walk without having to wait for a cross signal and choke on car fumes is a bad thing.
No comparison at all.

First of all, that wasn't built as a pedestrian bridge. It was converted to one.

And even if it had been built as one, it's connecting the trail together a full grade above the road. Makes no sense to go down to the road and then climb back up again to continue on the Belt line.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:58 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The pedestrian bridges I'm not fond of are the ones where you have to walk up a set of stairs (or a ramp), cross the bridge over the street, and then walk back down on the other side.

In some cases -- such as getting over a multi-lane freeway -- that may be the only option, but it's awkward.

Pedestrian bridges work best when linking elements that are already above street level.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why bother arguing? The pedestrian bridge-haters just want to shut down all major roads, turn every highway into a two-lane 20mph cowpath, and force everyone to live and work and spend their entire lives in one dense building.
I nominate this post for the Strawman Of The Month award.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:21 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
It just boggles my mind. I would think that the urban walkability crowd would be all about prioritizing pedestrian safety. I guess I'm really not in tune with the movement at all, I don't even know what the stances are. All I know is when I'm walking, I'll do anything to avoid standing there like a cool waiting for a light to change.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I like both the existing ped bridge over 41 in Cumberland, and the new one under construction over 285.

I like the MARTA bridge over 400 at Buckhead station.

I like the ped bridge in downtown Nashville over the Cumberland river.

For the most part though, in the core areas of the cities I prefer they make it safe to cross the road, by whatever measures that entails.
A bridge over a river is needed; a ped bridge over 41 because the local leaders would rather prioritize cars and speed over people is completely different. The Buckhead bridge was built to provide pedestrian access to the station. It is not open 24/7.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,310,772 times
It kind of depends on which bucket the money is coming out of. Parks or roads?
If you think of this as an extension/connector for the parks, then it makes sense and enhances the park experience.
If it's being done as a road project for improving traffic ( either auto or pedestrian), then, that money could be used for ped/bike improvements in so many better ways around there.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:24 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
I feel out of the loop on this one.

I certainly think this is a much, much better application than the pedestrian bridge planned outside of the Falcons stadium. The grades work in favor of this bridge. And it will be used more than a couple dozen times a year.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I don't live in the city, but yes I do oppose it. On principle, I oppose pedestrian bridges over streets and avenues in the city.

If Moreland is too car-clogged and dangerous for peds, then change that. If it's a highway, I support a pedestrian bridge over it. If it's a surface street, then the point of a city is being missed.
I generally agree with this, but in this scenario a bridge would be a good thing since it would connect the two pieces of parkland, making it a much more useful park. That'd be a huge win. It also would make commuting on foot or bicycle more efficient in this area. There's also the fact that the grade on both sides of the road are just right for a bridge, unlike any other place on Moreland.

Drivers are never going to respect crosswalks. Building a bridge isn't going to degrade the car/ped dynamic, and not building a bridge is not going to improve it.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:35 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It just boggles my mind. I would think that the urban walkability crowd would be all about prioritizing pedestrian safety. I guess I'm really not in tune with the movement at all, I don't even know what the stances are. All I know is when I'm walking, I'll do anything to avoid standing there like a cool waiting for a light to change.
You can't make an either/or categorization. Some bridges are good, some are not so good.

So you have to look at them individually and decide what the pros and cons are in each situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta