Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:35 PM

32,002 posts, read 36,627,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Since when is it wrong to disagree with a in coming president?
There's also the issue of proportional response.

Lewis says he doesn't believe Trump is a legitimate president, based on his opinion that meddling by the Russians helped Trump and hurt Clinton. Whether that meddling ultimately changed the election is certainly open to debate. I personally doubt that it did.

However, there's no question that it happened -- Trump himself has acknowledged that Russia was behind the hacking and subsequent disclosures.

Trump acknowledges Russia role in U.S. election hacking: aide | Reuters

But assume the Russian interference had no effect at all. How does that support some non-involved person from Gwinnett calling John Lewis a racist pig? That's nothing more than a gratuitous personal insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,684,213 times
His explanation on FOX 5 was horrible. Pretty much, he stated, he posted it to get a rise out of John Lewis and he was pissed because John Lewis called him illegitimate (he seemed to imply himself and not PE Trump) .

What an idiot.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:30 PM

7,577 posts, read 10,721,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
His explanation on FOX 5 was horrible. Pretty much, he stated, he posted it to get a rise out of John Lewis and he was pissed because John Lewis called him illegitimate (he seemed to imply himself and not PE Trump) .

What an idiot.
Oh cool.... so all you have to do to justify lying and staying stupid **** on the global stage is to say you were trying to get a rise out of people....

I fear he might ruin respect for the institution of the presidency beyond that of Nixon....

Old 01-16-2017, 07:37 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,002,356 times
I am also worried that the President-elect's bullying and use of inappropriate language will serve as a role model for how politics is conducted in this country.

In one way, it's good....I mean, I'm really glad to know this guy's true intentions and hopefully this talk will ensure that he is out in the next election. But on the other, I don't see what good can come from this level of blatant disrespect and what sounds like racism to me. According to the AJC article, he asked if there were any "white guys" on Alabama's football team, so I think we can figure out what this man's thought process is.

I wish there was a way to remove someone from office in the county government (maybe there is?). I'm horrified as a Gwinnett county resident that this is happening in my government. It certainly doesn't represent my ideals. My only solace is that I don't live in his district.

Really, we need to figure out how we are going to handle this type of thing if it worsens, as I fear it might.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 PM

Wow!

I just read the updated article with pictures of his comments.

That guy is such a douche.

Disagree with Lewis, he doesn't even understand the underlying point of why Lewis said that.

Much of this seems to be coming after listening to Rush Limbaugh, not to mention he is using that radio-talk language that aims to dehumanize the other side as evil.

Demonrats.... he says.... do not live in reality. Be Republican, be conservative, but it is clear Mr. Hunter is the one living in the alternate reality created by the likes of 'Rush.'

He then comments that district 5 is drawn to keep Lewis in power. The irony is Republicans have had control of drawing the districts in recent history and that one particular district is centered on Atlanta quite evenly.

Ok we need to find some suitable candidates from District 3. They don't need to be a democrat and a new down to business Republican will likely succeed best in this district, but this is totally unacceptable behavior for our local politicians.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,002,356 times
As President Obama said in his farewell speech....

If you don't like what is going on, grab a clipboard, get some signatures, and run for office!

Hopefully someone in that district will do just that.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,832,711 times
I'm really surprised that Gwinnett County -- as urban and diverse as it is -- would have somebody this redneck and uneducated sounding on the commission. Surely they can do better than this! What an embarrassment! You'd think this guy was from some rural podunk county in Southwest Georgia.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:26 PM

770 posts, read 601,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Oh cool.... so all you have to do to justify lying and staying stupid **** on the global stage is to say you were trying to get a rise out of people....

I fear he might ruin respect for the institution of the presidency beyond that of Nixon....
I feel the same on the presidency, but back to local to say you wanted to get a rise is bull and everyone knows it that excuse shouldn't be tolerated at any level. But this is the world we are in.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
I feel the same on the presidency, but back to local to say you wanted to get a rise is bull and everyone knows it that excuse shouldn't be tolerated at any level. But this is the world we are in.
I totally agree! and I totally misread that comment and what PKcorey put in parentheses too!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 AM

787 posts, read 964,934 times
As African Americans we need to stop including ourselves in statistics that reflect the success of mostly white people and non African American people. Black people have always had the mentality that if a close friend or someone in the family makes it, then we've all made it, that's destructive!

Though white people may be doing well in "John Lewis's" district not so for the majority of black people, we have rapid gentrification displacing black people outside the city and most cant afford to move in now, 80% of Atlanta's black kids live in high concentrations poverty, unemployment rate for AA's in Atlanta is 22% (the real figures is probably way higher than that), and high school gradation rates for AA kids is over 50%.

Black people if we allow the successful minority to be the face of the struggling majority then we will never be as great as we can be in this country. When Trump says something perceived as negative about the black community that's actually accurate such as our schools are failing and ghettos, we immediately go on the defensive and find someone to say, hey it's not that bad we are doing well when we should be saying Trump you have a point now what can you do to help with these issues. Attacking Trump and any black person that associates with is not helping us at all.

Last edited by Larry X; 01-17-2017 at 05:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta