Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times

Advertisements

In the latest example of the moral-free and immature Republican party projecting their insecurities onto Democrats, a Gwinnett County board of commissioners member called John Lewis a racist pig. What's wrong with that party?

John Lewis 'a racist pig,' Gwinnett commissioner writes on Facebook

I love his wonderful grammar in the Facebook post, though. What an embarrassing party representative. The GOP really does scrape the bottom of the barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Well first be a little careful.

As much as I will criticize them alot, it isn't the whole party or even the majority of the party. It is a large chunk of people, though.

You might find many Republicans are a bit nervous about who they must be allied with sometimes. I do blame many for not stopping it, but I also know they don't to keep the alliance together.

Sadly, he is in the one district in Gwinnett County where he might be safe. The Southern end of his district (Shiloh and South Gwinnett Clusters) is very heavily African American. I would expect a strong backlash, but the northern end of his district is the exurban fringe and it is far more white and full of people that want to move in and than become fearful of development after the fact. I can see them being resistant to this kind of comment more often.

Either way, this was a an extremely divisive comment for his county district, given the areas he represents. This was a sad mark as a public leader and I hope he owns up to his mistakes maturely and quickly.

MAP: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta...rs/DistrictMap

He is district 3.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well first be a little careful.

As much as I will criticize them alot, it isn't the whole party or even the majority of the party. It is a large chunk of people, though.

You might find many Republicans are a bit nervous about who they must be allied with sometimes. I do blame many for not stopping it, but I also know they don't to keep the alliance together.

Sadly, he is in the one district in Gwinnett County where he might be safe. The Southern end of his district (Shiloh and South Gwinnett Clusters) is very heavily African American. I would expect a strong backlash, but the northern end of his district is the exurban fringe and it is far more white and full of people that want to move in and than become fearful of development after the fact. I can see them being resistant to this kind of comment more often.

Either way, this was a an extremely divisive comment for his county district, given the areas he represents. This was a sad mark as a public leader and I hope he owns up to his mistakes maturely and quickly.

MAP: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta...rs/DistrictMap

He is district 3.
I live in District 3 in the Archer cluster. He could be on his way out if he is not unopposed in the next election.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:49 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
John Lewis was in the wrong. People start fights and think the fight will go their way. The things Lewis said didnt need to be said, he should have just left that fight alone. Stop telling the world your intentions and just do what you were going to do.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Today Martin Luther King is consider a hero, it will be beyond bizarre to criticize or attack him. but if he didn't past I truly believe the far right wing will be more against him and calling MLK a racist. It sounds beyond silly but the far right wing basically has called every civil right group and ever person associate with MLK a "racist".

I'm noticing a trend the far right wing is basically talking words that explains their behavor but remove the actual meaning of the word and just use it as a insult.

- Racist
- Calling something PC
- Fake News

and etc. the far right are more offend at being called racist then thinking about or changing the action to why they was called racist. By doing that now they started using the term only because they know it's an insult regardless of the definition.

John Lewis a celebrate civil right hero is called a "racist pig" on Martin Luther King day.

If Martin Luther King was a live do really think these right idiots, the far right media and etc will actually respect him? no, they don't respect the serving civil right leaders.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Whatever happened to the idea that if you can't say something nice about somebody, just don't say anything?

Old 01-16-2017, 01:53 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Whatever happened to the idea that if you can't say something nice about somebody, just don't say anything?
Unfortunately it seems that idea has gone straight out of the window in the current severely divided and highly contentious political environment.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
John Lewis was in the wrong. People start fights and think the fight will go their way. The things Lewis said didnt need to be said, he should have just left that fight alone. Stop telling the world your intentions and just do what you were going to do.
Since when is it wrong to disagree with a in coming president?

Do you know what a authoritarian and totalitarian governments are? Do you understand the concept of the Free Press? What a Democracy or a Republic means?

The American people are suppose to challenge the government Trump works for me and you. The idea of check and balance means Congress and the white house suppose to agree and disagree to solve issues.

Trump is rude and obnoxious he can't handle criticism he's not civil person, if you criticize him not being prepare to far a role, He's not going to say I prove you wrong. It going to criticize your wife, make of stuff and falsely **** shame women. Put down your district and hurt the area conviction something that actually his job to help boast. His approval numbers are in the toilet most Americans left or right do not like this.

So your telling me if your a congressmen and don't agree with him like he's a dictator or something, it's ok to call right leaders who clearly done more heroic stuff for the country a racist pig? Really?

Old 01-16-2017, 02:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I disagree with you, but that aside....

None of this is about Lewis being a 'Racist Pig' or not.

None of this is about the lack of class and representation in local governance for a county district comissioner that has a heavily black and a heavily white are of Gwinnett County.

A good chunk of this conversation needs to get more local. This story isn't all about Trump, but it is about having people get a long in a highly diverse county.

Gwinnett has been a stand out at having relatively few problems given how much it has changed during my life here. I don't want that change, especially as the likelihood of the county government structure changing from Republican to Democrat is likely in the next 10-15 years. I want Gwinnett to keep the stability it has had and hope people don't apply national and state politics to local leadership.

Many parts of local political needs can be consistent across party lines at a national level.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:10 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
This is getting scary you guys. I am very scared and what this "Great America" will be under trump. The far right's rhetoric is starting to seep into the right and center right. The next four to eight years have me terrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta