Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:22 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlylater View Post
Boston is eclipsed by NYC. It's insecure because of it. Atlanta is eclipsed by, well a lot of places.
So Boston is only eclipsed by NYC, but Atlanta is eclipsed by "a lot of places." Yeah, no bias there.

Regionally speaking, Boston is eclipsed by NYC but Atlanta isn't eclipsed by any other city; it's the top dog in its region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Regionally speaking, Boston is eclipsed by NYC but Atlanta isn't eclipsed by any other city; it's the top dog in its region.
In a sense, that just makes a comparison of Boston and Atlanta, in the context of sports markets, apples and peaches [see what I did there?]. Boston is close enough to New York City that there's very real competition between the teams for fans, especially in Connecticut, where everyone is either a Yankees fan or a Red Sox fan [who are these "Mets" you speak of?]. So, the teams go to war, not just on the playing field, but with their payrolls. As we've seen in recent Red Sox seasons, this doesn't always pay off, on the field. And so hype and high expectations go unmet.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
I know it's been a while since Atlanta's been to a Superbowl but I think this city v city diss is pretty common thing (in jest) each year, then finally the mayors or governors, etc place wagers....clam chowder and Jawja BBQ?

Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
One of my uncles from Detroit moved to Boston for a job back in the day and ended up staying and having a family. He is an old school D town head thru and thru but my cousins are very much Boston. I went up there a few times as a teenager, I was too young to really get a feel for the city and can't remeber that much anyway. My cousins have since both moved down south and I love them to death but they are some of the biggest try hards on the face of the earth. They used to try and flex that "grrr I'm from gritty Boston....grrrr I'm reppin Mattapan...grrr" demo up until they moved down here and rented a house off Candler Rd and what went from "I'm from Boston, y'all are slow down here" changed into "hey some guys up the street are shooting, can you come by because we're scared" in just under 2 months. I never let them hear the end of it. The older one ending moving to Texas some years back and he still gets roasted over that to this day. I was like if you can't handle what basically is a suburb to us, you damn sure couldn't live on my side. I don't want to hear that Boston is tough crap no more. LoL

Old 01-26-2017, 01:52 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlylater View Post
Boston is eclipsed by NYC. It's insecure because of it. Atlanta is eclipsed by, well a lot of places. But it's growing at a white hot pace and becoming a great city.

Football is cool, but Atlanta has a lot more than this. And that is truly not something Boston can disrespect.

The Falcons? Yeah, they can certainly make fun of that one. After all, the team deserves most of it, though they're good this year.
NYC is larger than Boston, but it doesn't eclipse Boston by any stretch. And, Bostonians will tell you that Boston is better than NYC... Went to school in Boston and most everyone I knew respected Atlanta. Never made fun of me for being from down here.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM

356 posts, read 316,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Falcons sold 98.2% of available tickets. Patriots only sold 97.2.

It's really just an unoriginal opinion. Obviously that label about us not being passionate about pro sports gets thrown around a lot. Did that guy not see braves fans trashing turner field after that Infield fly call?

We'll see how passionate patriots fans are after bill and tom retire. Remember how passionate patriots and seahawks fans before they started winning? Oh wait...
It's unoriginal because it's obvious. And yes, I do remember how passionate Pats fans were before they started winning. Grew up in CT and suffered through some seriously bad teams. How about the Red Sox? Did their fans stay home when they were bad? (ok maybe during the 60s or so I'm told) But compared to Atlanta when the Braves slump? Ha! How about the Hawks and the Thrashers - embarrassing! You could hear the coaches!

Nice attendance stats for Falcons this year but passion is a lot more than the folks in the stadium. Maybe Atlanta just has a lot more going on, but man it's night and day how focused people are on pro sports there vs here. I did love seeing Tom Brady in his first season up close for cheap with the GA Dome 40k-ish strong back in 2001 though! That was awesome.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:00 AM

1,057 posts, read 868,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
It's unoriginal because it's obvious. And yes, I do remember how passionate Pats fans were before they started winning. Grew up in CT and suffered through some seriously bad teams. How about the Red Sox? Did their fans stay home when they were bad? (ok maybe during the 60s or so I'm told) But compared to Atlanta when the Braves slump? Ha! How about the Hawks and the Thrashers - embarrassing! You could hear the coaches!

Nice attendance stats for Falcons this year but passion is a lot more than the folks in the stadium. Maybe Atlanta just has a lot more going on, but man it's night and day how focused people are on pro sports there vs here. I did love seeing Tom Brady in his first season up close for cheap with the GA Dome 40k-ish strong back in 2001 though! That was awesome.
lol patriots didn't even sell out all their games this year. Keep thinking what you want. Nobody said Boston fans weren't passionate.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 AM

Wrong. They have a 20+ year sellout streak. But yes there are no shows. No dome to keep out the elements like the delicate Falcons fans need.

People are arguing that Falcons fans are as devoted as Patriots fans. OK, how about this study by an Emory professor no less. Ranks Pats fans as #1 NFL fans.

Study: Patriots move past Cowboys for top spot in NFL fan rankings | ProFootballTalk

These models," Lewis wrote, are used to determine which cities fans are more willing to spend or follow their teams after controlling for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance."

Anyway, should be a great game. Falcons have a great team. I used to have season tickets, no hate here. Just trying to explain Atlanta fans don't know what they don't know about what true passion (obsession? Insanity?) is. Or maybe the do- think Dawgs.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:39 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Wrong. They have a 20+ year sellout streak. But yes there are no shows. No dome to keep out the elements like the delicate Falcons fans need.

People are arguing that Falcons fans are as devoted as Patriots fans. OK, how about this study by an Emory professor no less. Ranks Pats fans as #1 NFL fans.

Study: Patriots move past Cowboys for top spot in NFL fan rankings | ProFootballTalk

These models," Lewis wrote, are used to determine which cities fans are more willing to spend or follow their teams after controlling for factors like market size and short-term variations in performance."

Anyway, should be a great game. Falcons have a great team. I used to have season tickets, no hate here. Just trying to explain Atlanta fans don't know what they don't know about what true passion (obsession? Insanity?) is. Or maybe the do- think Dawgs.
You pretty much just answered your own question with that last line. The Dawgs ain't won crap since the early 80s and they have no problem filling Sanford Stadium up on Saturdays in the fall to the tune of 90,000+. That's almost 30,000 more than Gillette Stadium up in New England. It's a different culture down here. College football is King and will probably be for a while. Just the way it is. Boston fans root insanely for pro teams but their homegrown prep sports are a joke compared to here Atlanta. These kids run circles around the kids up there in football and basketball. So basically they can't produce talent but they can root for it? I've always found that hilarious, those folks up north in those big time sports towns basically root for a bunch of guys from GA, FL, Texas and Cali. Basically all areas that are known for having bad fans, but yet it's our talent that allows you to root for them

Old 01-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Yep, you made my point. Atlanta isn't much of a pro sports town. That was the whole idea behind the article!

College football in the south is awesome. Awesome. But you can't have it both ways and try to pretend you suddenly have a deeply ingrained pro sports culture when your team does well.

I think it's cool that different parts of the US have different cultures around fandom. Although some folks think the obsession with college kids playing for free is more than a little creepy, I can't help it, I love college basketball and kind of love college football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: