Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 679 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. A little background on my current situation first-

My wife and I are in our twenties. No kids. 1 dog. 1 cat. Currently live in Athens, which we love.
I have a career opportunity that I'm considering that would take me to West Atlanta OTP (think Six Flags - ish). My wife works in Lilburn as a teacher. Our gross income is about $95k. Details about pay for my new opportunity are unknown at the moment, but I'm assuming it would bring $10-$20k gross more. We own a house here in Athens that we would have to sell, and buying a new one wherever we end up would be preferred, but downsizing to an apartment/townhome is part of what we are considering also. I'd want to keep mortgage/rent under $1,300 so I don't think I could afford a house more than about $250k. (I paid $135k for the one I'm in now so even considering something as high as $250k seem intimidating, but I'm willing to do it.)

And now the challenge-

The goal is to live somewhere in Atlanta/metro-Atlanta that would have reasonable commutes for both of us, which is proving difficult since I would be working OTP West and she works OTP East. We've checked out Sandy Springs and Decatur which both seem to fit the bill commute-wise, but it seems like everything in Sandy Springs is way out of our price range, and Decatur seems to be hit-or-miss in terms of crime and price range. Marietta/Smyrna seem great, but I'm afraid her afternoon commutes would be dreadful.
Does anyone more familiar with Atlanta than myself have any input? Apart from the commute situation, we are looking for a safe area (most importantly), affordable rent/home prices (is there even such a thing any more?), and things to do close by.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

(this is a crosspost from r/Atlanta on reddit. got some good answers there but wanted to reach out here as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 01:56 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,609,366 times
East Atlanta

Old 02-05-2017, 02:47 PM
bu2

23,869 posts, read 14,647,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
East Atlanta
I-20 isn't awful, so your commute wouldn't be bad on the east side, but 285 and 85 can be bad going to and from Gwinnett. You've got a challenge.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:12 PM

10,333 posts, read 11,328,356 times
If you want to live someplace that is roughly halfway between your wife's job in Lilburn and your future higher-paying job in the Six Flags area, you are going to be looking at many areas that likely may be much more urban than where you currently might live in the Athens area.

That doesn't mean that there will be a guarantee that crime will happen but it does mean that you will be looking at many areas that may be in various stages of transition if you want to live in an area that is roughly halfway between the geographical locations of you and your wife's jobs.

With that said, in addition to Pemgin's suggestion of East Atlanta, also checkout areas beyond the East Atlanta neighborhood itself throughout greater Intown East Atlanta. Look through up-and-coming greater Intown East Atlanta areas like Kirkwood, Reynoldstown, Ormewood Park, Cabbagetown, Edgewood, Grant Park, Glenwood Park, Lake Claire, North Decatur and Avondale Estates to see if you can find anything that you might like within your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta