Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,138 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

I am a mid-late 20s single man currently living in Boston, originally from Orange County, CA. I work as a corporate lawyer, but am planning on transitioning to a role in executive search/recruitment. I have been offered opportunities in Boston and New York, but am strongly considering relocating south for a number of reasons. I'm hoping you can help point me in the right direction!

I have spent 8+ years in the Northeast (Boston + NYC) and I love the action and the constant opportunities these cities provide. However, I very much hate the winter and get deeply depressed during the 5 months of cold/snow/etc. Additionally, I tend to lean more conservative, and financially (taxes, housing costs, etc), the Northeast can be quite difficult when planning a long-term home. As such, I have been looking specifically at Atlanta as a potential home, but also Dallas, Houston, and Miami.

Things that are most important to me in a city:
1) Strong Jewish community (I'm modern Orthodox, so that means affordable housing in a Jewish area, kosher food, jewish day schools, etc - also some Jewish singles would be great!)
2) Weather - I don't mind seasons, but the more mild the weather the better (I'm from SoCal!)
3) Job opportunities - a larger economy, especially in financial services, is beneficial to my career prospects, though each city boasts strong executive search firms
4) Affordability - I'm looking for low taxes, affordable housing, and generally being able to be comfortable and not stressed about money. I am not looking just to get rich though!
5) Recreation - I love the beach, hiking, and the outdoors in general.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlyintrigued View Post
Greetings everyone,

I am a mid-late 20s single man currently living in Boston, originally from Orange County, CA. I work as a corporate lawyer, but am planning on transitioning to a role in executive search/recruitment. I have been offered opportunities in Boston and New York, but am strongly considering relocating south for a number of reasons. I'm hoping you can help point me in the right direction!

I have spent 8+ years in the Northeast (Boston + NYC) and I love the action and the constant opportunities these cities provide. However, I very much hate the winter and get deeply depressed during the 5 months of cold/snow/etc. Additionally, I tend to lean more conservative, and financially (taxes, housing costs, etc), the Northeast can be quite difficult when planning a long-term home. As such, I have been looking specifically at Atlanta as a potential home, but also Dallas, Houston, and Miami.

1) Strong Jewish community (I'm modern Orthodox, so that means affordable housing in a Jewish area, kosher food, jewish day schools, etc - also some Jewish singles would be great!)
2) Weather - I don't mind seasons, but the more mild the weather the better (I'm from SoCal!)
3) Job opportunities - a larger economy, especially in financial services, is beneficial to my career prospects, though each city boasts strong executive search firms
4) Affordability - I'm looking for low taxes, affordable housing, and generally being able to be comfortable and not stressed about money. I am not looking just to get rich though!

Hi, Fairlyintrigued. I'm a recovering corporate lawyer in Atlanta. I now help my wife with her legal recruiting business. I'm going to skip over your questions above, as you'll receive plenty of advice. I will say, though, that the Texas legal market has been clobbered by the energy industry and the Miami market is not very robust outside of Holland & Knight and Greenburg. The Atlanta market, however, has surpassed most US markets outside NYC in terms of growth (profits per partner, revenues per lawyer, gross revenues growth, etc.). From a professional development standpoint, I'd suggest Atlanta for you. And, we are leaders in financial services.

Best of luck to you!

Old 02-07-2017, 03:13 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlyintrigued View Post
Greetings everyone,

1) The Atlanta area has a large and strong Jewish community centered in DeKalb and North Fulton Counties.

2) The weather in the Atlanta area is very mild compared to Massachusetts and the Northeast as severe inclement winter weather events are rare, occurring roughly every five years on average.

3) There is much opportunity in the financial services field in the Atlanta area, particularly with a fast-growing corporate sector....A fast-growing corporate sector that includes an explosively fast-growing television and film production industry in the Atlanta area and the state of Georgia that is drawn to the area by a major hub of transcontinental freight railroad and Interstate superhighway routes, the world's busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport) and an explosively fast-growing seaport (the Port of Savannah).

4) The Atlanta area and the state of Georgia as a whole are widely known as being affordable places to live and do business, particularly when compared to its highly-populated counterparts in the Northeast, South Florida and on the West Coast.

5) Loads of outdoor recreational opportunities here starting with the very popular exploits of the foothills and southernmost ranges of the Blue Ridge and Appalachian mountain chains north of the city and extending to the beaches of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts a few hours away to the southeast and south/southwest, respectively, with many outdoor recreational opportunities in between in a scenic region with mild weather.

4) The Atlanta

Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Well how warm do you want your winters? Atlanta will have the coolest winters though Dallas can get pretty chilly due to it's location in the southern plains. Houston is definitely warmer in winter and Miami is pretty obvious and is a lot warmer than Atlanta in winter. Atlanta is also a little cooler/less humid than Miami and Houston and honestly Dallas can get pretty hot too. I went to college just NW of Houston and make no mistake about it, it gets HOT and lingers well into late September whereas Atlanta has basically started fall.

Houston is the ugliest metro. Flat. Some parts are fairly dense pine forests, other parts not so much. Galveston is a pretty crappy beach too (though an interesting town). You'll have to drive a few hours just to get to a half decent beach. Atlanta isn't really close to any beaches but the emerald coast of the FL panhandle is gorgeous and only about 5 hours away from Atlanta. The hill country is a few hours away from Houston but you won't find mountains like you're probably used to.

Dallas area at least has some interesting topography and more hills but isn't too close to any mountains and is even farther than Atlanta to nice beaches. However, Dallas lacks the dense forest look if that's something you want.

I'm guessing you already know what Miami looks like. It's pretty famous. But the metro area itself isn't spectacular unless you explicitly want a tropical look. Obviously the main draw is the beach and the rest of the coast. Forget about mountains.

Atlanta is generally hilly and has a thick forest. It's the only place out of the 4 that will give you fall foliage even comparable to the NE. Depending on where exactly you are in the Atlanta area, you can be in the foothills in half an hour (from the north suburbs) with more serious mountain terrain just beyond. There's also some ridge and valley action in the NW part of the state. The mountains, of course, have their own hiking potential (start of the App trail is in GA) but there's also plenty of rivers in the mountains and the Atlanta area. Also a lot of lakes in the area that actually have warm water in the summer. If you don't feel like driving to the Appalachians there are a few smaller mountains in the area. Kennesaw Mtn, Stone Mountain, Arabia mountain and probably some more that I don't even know about. As you can see, I think Atlanta offers the most in outdoor activities (excluding coastal activities)

Old 02-08-2017, 08:25 AM

163 posts, read 138,444 times
For a strong Jewish community in an intown neighborhood, look at the Toco Hills/North Druid Hills area.

And on a completely different note, I find that Atlanta has great opportunities for (long) weekend trips--Charleston, SC is about 5hrs away, Savannah is 3.5hrs and Asheville, NC/Great Smoky Mts NP about 3-3.5hrs. Lots of variety in the region!

Old 02-08-2017, 08:26 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hi, Fairlyintrigued. I'm a recovering corporate lawyer in Atlanta. I now help my wife with her legal recruiting business. I'm going to skip over your questions above, as you'll receive plenty of advice. I will say, though, that the Texas legal market has been clobbered by the energy industry and the Miami market is not very robust outside of Holland & Knight and Greenburg. The Atlanta market, however, has surpassed most US markets outside NYC in terms of growth (profits per partner, revenues per lawyer, gross revenues growth, etc.). From a professional development standpoint, I'd suggest Atlanta for you. And, we are leaders in financial services.

Best of luck to you!
<insert lawyer joke here>

Old 02-10-2017, 07:25 PM

297 posts, read 271,127 times
Like others said, there is a strong Jewish community here. I had a good friend that lived in Dunwoody from college and he was Jewish and they have a strong community in Dunwoody. I like Atlanta over Texas and Florida because there is a bit more of a season change than you get in those areas. The fall is especially fantastic in Atlanta. The outdoor activities are great around Atlanta. There area a # of good hiking areas in the metro like Stone Mountain, Arabia Mt, Kennesaw Mt, and Sweetater Creek. Then about 1 1/2 north of Atlanta you have the North Ga mountains and Chattanooga. I am not too much of a beach person but the beach is about 4 hours away. I like Miami a lot but the cost of living is higher and you get one season(summer) with no diversity in geography.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 AM

40 posts, read 57,624 times
Hi
I am currently in Bellevue, WA and looking at 2 specific opportunities. One in Armonk, NY and other in Roswell, GA. I am moving out of WA due to promotion/salary increase. Married, no kids. Seattle/Bellevue is great but ridiculously expensive. A decent 3BR/3BA is well above $1M.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/suggestions. I am also looking for something similar (good weather, outdoors, food scene, strong indian community/food etc.)

Old 02-11-2017, 04:09 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobo View Post
Hi
I am currently in Bellevue, WA and looking at 2 specific opportunities. One in Armonk, NY and other in Roswell, GA. I am moving out of WA due to promotion/salary increase. Married, no kids. Seattle/Bellevue is great but ridiculously expensive. A decent 3BR/3BA is well above $1M.

I'd appreciate your thoughts/suggestions. I am also looking for something similar (good weather, outdoors, food scene, strong indian community/food etc.)
The Atlanta area has good weather year-round, an overabundance of outdoor activities and outdoor recreational opportunities (because of the aforementioned good weather that is warmer than both the states of Washington and New York), a good food scene, a strong and fast-growing Indian community, particularly in Atlanta's northern suburbs where Roswell is located.

The Atlanta area also features a cost-of-living that is much more affordable than Seattle or New York....Something that means that a decent 3-Bed/3-Bath can (and most likely will) be found for less than half the $1 million price that you might find in coastal metro areas like Seattle and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta