Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 07:06 AM

10 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

So I've decided to relocate to Atlanta and I'm very excited but also confused as to where I should move. I figured this would be a challenge but even navigating the dating scene after 10 years is a lot less intimidating! My job is willing to offer me a position there once I'm ready but my research hasn't swayed me toward any particular area yet, in fact I think I'm even more undecided now than before I started really looking into the different neighborhoods.

It will be myself (29) and my daughter (10), and preferably I would want to live in a safe family oriented suburban neighborhood that still has a nice city feel with a good mix of families and single professionals and
lots to do close by for both me and her. Ideally I wouldn't want a long commute to work, not with traffic the way it is there ... no no no ! I'm in the banking field so my desired location for work would be downtown or in a similarly high traffic suburban area. Currently we live in a very diverse neighborhood and she goes to one of the best magnet schools in the area so I would definitely like the same or even a very nice African American community with GREAT PUBLIC SCHOOLS and attractive single men ! Private school is not an option for us right now so a good school system is very important to me. Also we will be renting initially, then purchase later maybe a year or two once I know the place a lot better.

A few people I know there suggested Gwinnett county but I have to mention that they are both married with multiple kids and well into their 30's or early 40's so I'm not sure if that area may be a little TOO bland for me, plus it sounds more of a place to buy a home once your settled in with your family. Since I consider myself a single young professional with a mini me to cater to, I really don't want to get stuck in a dry surburban area where I can't indulge in the opposite sex for fear of their wives coming after me ... I'm not about that life! . My own research is leaning me towards Decatur but I'm not sure how diverse it is there but the area seems to be family oriented with a nice city feel, lots to do and great public schools!

That's a pretty tall order or maybe not since we're talking about Atlanta .... please please please feel free to go into as much detail as possible with your recommendations I absolutely don't mind. Thank you !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 AM

333 posts, read 388,077 times
Yeah, Gwinnett County is pretty dry (said no one, ever).

Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Thank you I will look into that area as well !!!! Another quick note .... my rental budget is no more than $1200 for a 2br apt/townhome although $1000 is more ideal. Don't need fancy just safe, comfortable and functional.

Last edited by *buzzinessbee*; 02-08-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Do you yet know EXACTLY where in the Atlanta metro area you will be commuting to and from for work each day?

Because of traffic congestion concerns, where you commute to and from for work each day will most likely have to play a major role in where you focus your search for housing.

Find out where you will be working and then take it from there with your search for housing. But you would be strongly advised not to get too deep into a housing search until you know exactly where in the very large and expansive Atlanta metro area you will be commuting to and from for work each day.

You will want to wait to find out where in metro Atlanta you will be working because you don't want to end up with a long and/or miserable commute because you went all-in on a place to live without knowing where you would be commuting to and from for work each day.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Thank you so much for responding !!!! So my job is willing to place me at a branch within 30 miles of where I live so for me it's the other way around. I should have made that more clear in my post .... I'm now leaning towards Cobb county based on info I've found and people I know there so now I'm wondering where in Cobb county would be the closest to what I'm looking for in a neighborhood that would keep me in a good price range. As for job location I just need to be in a central high traffic area with a good mix of people who utilize bank products not just services(e.g mortgages & loans not just overdraft fee reversals and such) so I can actually succeed at work. Again thanks for taking time to respond!!

Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *buzzinessbee* View Post
Thank you so much for responding !!!! So my job is willing to place me at a branch within 30 miles of where I live so for me it's the other way around. I should have made that more clear in my post .... I'm now leaning towards Cobb county based on info I've found and people I know there so now I'm wondering where in Cobb county would be the closest to what I'm looking for in a neighborhood that would keep me in a good price range. As for job location I just need to be in a central high traffic area with a good mix of people who utilize bank products not just services(e.g mortgages & loans not just overdraft fee reversals and such) so I can actually succeed at work. Again thanks for taking time to respond!!
In your original post, you mentioned that your daughter currently attends a good magnet program in the Baltimore area.

If you are leaning towards Cobb County, the Wheeler cluster of the Cobb County school system is one of the first places that comes to mind as far as magnet programs.....That's because Wheeler High School has one of the most highly-regarded Math & Science & Technology magnet programs in the entire Southeastern U.S. south of Virginia. Wheeler is also known to have a solid regular curriculum outside of its highly-regarded magnet program.

(Wheeler Magnet School - The Center For Advanced Studies in Science, Math & Technology at Wheeler High School)
Wheeler Magnet School - The Center for Advanced Studies. Leading the Nation in STEM Education

The Wheeler cluster (the cluster of elementary and middle schools that feeds into and is anchored by Wheeler High School) is also a very diverse area that encompasses a variety of affordable housing options, particularly in the areas of the cluster that are closest to Interstate 75. This should likely be the first area that you look in if you are leaning towards Cobb County and are looking for a good magnet program for your daughter....Though Cobb County in general offers many good educational options.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:22 PM

Wow!!! Very useful and specific information.... thank you I will look into those schools. I'm also open to good public schools because magnet schools generally fill up quickly with a long wait list and she's going to 5th grade so I'm not dead set on a magnet program just as long as it's a great school with involved teachers and parents. You are anazing ! Thank you !

Old 02-08-2017, 01:37 PM

290 posts, read 313,060 times
It always amazes me when people say they are moving to Atlanta or wherever yet know nothing about the place. Is it a case of seeking greener grass. Are you unhappy in Baltimore?Are you looking for warmer weather. Are you tired of the relationships you have currently. I only ask this because if you really come to grips with why you want to relocate to Atlanta, that will help make you happier when you finally do relocate

Old 02-08-2017, 02:02 PM

Good question ... although irrelevant ! For me I never did like Baltimore but I stayed because I have family here and because my daughter was younger and didn't want to just snatch her away. Atlanta is somewhere I've always wanted to live because I get to be in the south in a big city while still enjoying 4 different seasons. Im originally from Jamaica and I've been in US for about 13 years all spent in Baltimore so with my recent divorce I figured now is the time ! I'm a traveler/explorer by nature so not knowing anything about the place appeals to me because I find it very fun discovering a new place .... I enjoy the 4 seasons but like that Atlanta's winter is a lot milder than Baltimore. Hope that satisfies your curiosity and thanks for stopping by !

Also did you have any input regarding the actual post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: