U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2017, 01:50 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 6,906,853 times
Reputation: 3022

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Emory wanted TOD they could just as easily have built their new campus at Avondale, Kensington, Chamblee, Doraville or at one of the existing world class transit stations we've built on the south and west sides of town.
No, it would not have been "just as easy". Just look at the zoning fight the Brookhaven TOD got. This "Highway-OD" got no real pushback. Did they even need to get so much as a variance to build this?

Why would Emory spend the extra money to fight the zoning board and the neighborhoods to build a TOD when they can just build this car-centric develop that is already legal?

We get the city we plan for and we are still planning for more sprawl and more cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Emory wanted TOD they could just as easily have built their new campus at Avondale, Kensington, Chamblee, Doraville or at one of the existing world class transit stations we've built on the south and west sides of town.
It would be nice if the south and west parts of Atlanta could get world-class children healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,938 posts, read 32,935,593 times
Reputation: 12603
OK, as long as we're dealing in what-ifs, how about this idea?
A public-private partnership between MARTA and Emory creates a multimodal transit station, located in the Zonolite Industrial Park (adjacent to Emory, but unobtrusive to the surrounding areas. It would serve as a MARTA station and a terminal and staging area for CLIFF, Emory's tranportation system; the existing staging area for CLIFF abuts it on Johnson Rd. It could also provide parking for employees and patients of CHOA and Emory medical facilities. Patients would receive a CLIFF pass in their admission packet that would avail them and their families access to CLIFF transport; CLIFF already serves all areas under discussion. A feeder road could be run off of I-85 to the station that would parallel the proposed rail line to Emory.
The goal of all of this would be to alleviate the inevitable increase in traffic on NDHR and Briarcliff as well as Clifton Corridor.

Note the proposed rail route runs astride Zonolite Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zo...!4d-84.3418751
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 04:21 PM
 
28,146 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It would be nice if the south and west parts of Atlanta could get world-class children healthcare.
It would be nice if Emory built on that side of town. They'd have ready-made world class transit from day one.

Maybe Emory they are thinking it is sufficient for them to staff the facilities at Grady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 PM
 
28,146 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
OK, as long as we're dealing in what-ifs, how about this idea?
A public-private partnership between MARTA and Emory creates a multimodal transit station, located in the Zonolite Industrial Park (adjacent to Emory, but unobtrusive to the surrounding areas. It would serve as a MARTA station and a terminal and staging area for CLIFF, Emory's tranportation system; the existing staging area for CLIFF abuts it on Johnson Rd. It could also provide parking for employees and patients of CHOA and Emory medical facilities. Patients would receive a CLIFF pass in their admission packet that would avail them and their families access to CLIFF transport; CLIFF already serves all areas under discussion. A feeder road could be run off of I-85 to the station that would parallel the proposed rail line to Emory.
The goal of all of this would be to alleviate the inevitable increase in traffic on NDHR and Briarcliff as well as Clifton Corridor.

Note the proposed rail route runs astride Zonolite Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zo...!4d-84.3418751
I could see that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 PM
 
560 posts, read 307,348 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
OK, as long as we're dealing in what-ifs, how about this idea?
A public-private partnership between MARTA and Emory creates a multimodal transit station, located in the Zonolite Industrial Park (adjacent to Emory, but unobtrusive to the surrounding areas. It would serve as a MARTA station and a terminal and staging area for CLIFF, Emory's tranportation system; the existing staging area for CLIFF abuts it on Johnson Rd. It could also provide parking for employees and patients of CHOA and Emory medical facilities. Patients would receive a CLIFF pass in their admission packet that would avail them and their families access to CLIFF transport; CLIFF already serves all areas under discussion. A feeder road could be run off of I-85 to the station that would parallel the proposed rail line to Emory.
The goal of all of this would be to alleviate the inevitable increase in traffic on NDHR and Briarcliff as well as Clifton Corridor.

Note the proposed rail route runs astride Zonolite Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zo...!4d-84.3418751




I can't wait to ride the disease bus to see what I can catch next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2017, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,938 posts, read 32,935,593 times
Reputation: 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I can't wait to ride the disease bus to see what I can catch next.
It'll be free, so bring a mask and Purell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
OK, as long as we're dealing in what-ifs, how about this idea?
A public-private partnership between MARTA and Emory creates a multimodal transit station, located in the Zonolite Industrial Park (adjacent to Emory, but unobtrusive to the surrounding areas. It would serve as a MARTA station and a terminal and staging area for CLIFF, Emory's tranportation system; the existing staging area for CLIFF abuts it on Johnson Rd. It could also provide parking for employees and patients of CHOA and Emory medical facilities. Patients would receive a CLIFF pass in their admission packet that would avail them and their families access to CLIFF transport; CLIFF already serves all areas under discussion. A feeder road could be run off of I-85 to the station that would parallel the proposed rail line to Emory.
The goal of all of this would be to alleviate the inevitable increase in traffic on NDHR and Briarcliff as well as Clifton Corridor.

Note the proposed rail route runs astride Zonolite Rd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Zo...!4d-84.3418751
Like the proposed Sage Hill station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 AM
 
28,146 posts, read 24,671,942 times
Reputation: 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
No, it would not have been "just as easy". Just look at the zoning fight the Brookhaven TOD got. This "Highway-OD" got no real pushback. Did they even need to get so much as a variance to build this?

Why would Emory spend the extra money to fight the zoning board and the neighborhoods to build a TOD when they can just build this car-centric develop that is already legal?

We get the city we plan for and we are still planning for more sprawl and more cars.
If Emory wanted to build TOD and a medical complex around one of the existing MARTA stations on the south or west sides of town the city would be doing backflips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reputation: 4894
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Emory wanted to build TOD and a medical complex around one of the existing MARTA stations on the south or west sides of town the city would be doing backflips.
No argument there. You'd be bringing world class healthcare to the people who do not have access to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top