U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,901,196 times

Advertisements

I simply can't get my head around this.

https://www.choa.org/about-us/newsro...emand-for-care

As plans for the new CHOA campus at Executive Park begin to gel, we are looking at a planned investment of 1-1.3 BILLION dollars and a pediatric facility that will be state of the art and the envy of the worldwide medical community.
What we are also looking at is an estimated addition of 14,000 vehicles daily to the morass of traffic flow that runs through the immediate area. The situation is already untenable; what it will become defies imagination. And yet there seems be a near absence of conversation going on about this by civic leaders, particularly CHOA's most fervent cheerleaders, the City of Brookhaven.

“As the only freestanding pediatric healthcare system in Georgia, we need to ensure that we are able to serve the children in our state,” said Donna Hyland, President and CEO, Children’s. “To meet growing demand, we must find more ways to provide access to those who need Children’s unique specialized care by improving and expanding our facilities.”

“The health of Georgia’s children has consistently been one of my top priorities,” said Governor Nathan Deal. “Children’s Healthcare provides vital care for children from across the state, and its plans for a new hospital and continued statewide growth will help ensure that Georgia’s kids have a healthy future.”

Since it is being openly acknowledged by our Governor that the state will derive benefit from this Atlanta-based project, maybe it's time they also acknowledge that the state should provide some financial support to help relieve the inevitable transportation disaster that will accompany it. Georgia can no longer divorce itself from Atlanta's issues, particularly those that are a by-product of its' growth.
If Georgia is the car, then Atlanta is the engine...like it or not. And to keep the car running, the engine needs regular maintenance.

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-09-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM

22,151 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Both bus route 8 and 16 serve that area. Maybe with overlapping service, have 15 minute headways?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Both bus route 8 and 16 serve that area. Maybe with overlapping service, have 15 minute headways?
33 also serves it, for that matter. But I see that as simply a drop in the Atlantic.
For any area in the metro that is reaching levels of density such as this, rail should be an imperative.

BTW, I dug up an old article that explained the machinations behind why MARTA came to be unfunded by the state. If you want blame anyone, I guess Jimmy Carter is the one...although his motivations at the time were understandable.

A MARTA story: Why the state never contributed funding - from day one - SaportaReport

Old 02-09-2017, 02:03 PM

5,362 posts, read 4,889,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I simply can't get my head around this.

https://www.choa.org/about-us/newsro...emand-for-care

As plans for the new CHOA campus at Executive Park begin to gel, we are looking at a planned investment of 1-1.3 BILLION dollars and a pediatric facility that will be state of the art and the envy of the worldwide medical community.
What we are also looking at is an estimated addition of 14,000 vehicles daily to the morass of traffic flow that runs through the immediate area. The situation is already untenable; what it will become defies imagination. And yet there seems be a near absence of conversation going on about this by civic leaders, particularly CHOA's most fervent cheerleaders, the City of Brookhaven.

“As the only freestanding pediatric healthcare system in Georgia, we need to ensure that we are able to serve the children in our state,” said Donna Hyland, President and CEO, Children’s. “To meet growing demand, we must find more ways to provide access to those who need Children’s unique specialized care by improving and expanding our facilities.”

“The health of Georgia’s children has consistently been one of my top priorities,” said Governor Nathan Deal. “Children’s Healthcare provides vital care for children from across the state, and its plans for a new hospital and continued statewide growth will help ensure that Georgia’s kids have a healthy future.”

Since it is being openly acknowledged by our Governor that the state will derive benefit from this Atlanta-based project, maybe it's time they also acknowledge that the state should provide some financial support to help relieve the inevitable transportation disaster that will accompany it. Georgia can no longer divorce itself from Atlanta's issues, particularly those that are a by-product of its' growth.
If Georgia is the car, then Atlanta is the engine...like it or not. And to keep the car running, the engine needs regular maintenance.
Those are some excellent points you make there, LD, about the traffic and transportation situation along North Druid Hills Road near I-85 and about how the state needs to be much more involved in helping to find a solution to the transportation issues along this corridor.

But, unfortunately there does not necessarily seem to be much more that the State of Georgia can do help relieve traffic along this stretch of North Druid Hills Road at this particular time.

The state (with much help from the feds) widened Interstate 85 Northeast from 4 lanes to 12-14 lanes back in the 1980's about the same time that they also North Druid Hills Road widened to 6 lanes between Briarcliff Road and Buford Highway (...North Druid Hills Road, which is a state-owned highway (signed Georgia 42) between Buford Hwy and Briarcliff Rd, widens to about 8 lanes in the immediate area of the I-85 interchange).

There does not seem to be much right-of-way remaining for the road network to be expanded further than it has already been expanded.

Transit also does not seem to be the most robust option in helping the traffic situation in this particular area seeing as though the area in question is about at least 2.5 miles from the nearest high-capacity rail transit station (the site in question is about 2.5 miles from the Lenox MARTA Station and about 4 miles from the Lindbergh MARTA Station)....Stations on a rail transit network that does not seem to be as expansive and as comprehensive as it should be in a fast-growing region of this size and population.

And with much of the business expansion in the area being driven by the healthcare and medical sectors (sectors which mostly must be executed in person and largely cannot be executed through telecommuting), there does not seem to be much that can be done to decrease traffic congestion through increased telecommuting.

At most, it seems that all that the state maybe could do at this particular time is to maybe attempt to encourage more carpooling into (and out of) the area where possible and where feasible as a means of attempting to decrease traffic congestion along this increasingly severely congested corridor....And even that might be a challenge to execute because most (though not all) of the employees may likely be spread out in different locations across the metro area that might not necessarily make a high amount of carpooling feasible.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:56 PM

991 posts, read 516,463 times
A good project to modernize NDH between Buford Hwy and Clairmont died with the TSPLOST

Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 AM
bu2

8,969 posts, read 5,665,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You don't drive the area, do you? That's the time it takes to get through the Briarcliff/Druid Hills light!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM
bu2

What's interesting about this area is that almost half of the original office space in Executive Park is gone. They used to have a lot more employment in the area. Many of those 60s/70s low rise office buildings have been torn down.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 AM
bu2

I suspect what has happened is that Buckhead and Midtown have boomed, so a lot of people use N. Druid Hills to get to those areas. The traffic is mostly people passing through heading to Buckhead or getting on I-85, not people going to Executive Park.

The entrance/exit ramps to I-85 are antiquated causing problems on North Druid Hills, Briarcliff and I-85 North and South. The timing of the lights is very poor, resulting in a lot of gridlock and wasted green light time. The Buford Hwy. intersection often backs traffic up through Briarcliff a long way back towards Toco Hills. There is a LOT that could be done to improve the through traffic without adding any lanes. There is available ROW between Briarcliff and I-85, but extra lanes would be only limited help, especially considering the bottlenecks surrounding that stretch.

All of the I-85 entrance/exit ramps from 400 North are antiquated and create hazards on both the side streets and the freeway itself. The timing of the lights all along creates problems. The timing at Shallowford isn't quite as bad, but Chamblee Tucker, Clairmont and N. Druid Hills are ridiculous.

CHOA got Brookhaven to annex, because they knew they would not force them to do anything to deal with traffic.

Maybe the state can step in to work with CHOA.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM

28,114 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Way too many curb cuts on NDH. They need to minimize these and time the lights better.

Is there some sort of smart traffic management system that could be utilized? During the day it's not so bad but at rush hour (3:30 on) the traffic coming out of Buckhead and points north really bogs things down.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
What's interesting about this area is that almost half of the original office space in Executive Park is gone. They used to have a lot more employment in the area. Many of those 60s/70s low rise office buildings have been torn down.
Well, yeah...and now we know why. It's being replaced by what may arguably be the largest Pediatrics-only facility in the world. It's a very big deal.
Executive Park will also house the Hawks' new training facility as well as Emory's Sports Medicine facilities (convenient, no?).
The mind is boggled.
I have a hunch that a name change is in order; "Executive Park" really doesn't appear to apply anymore.
One thing to consider is the possible opening up of EP's "back door"(Cheshire Bridge exit to Chantilly). That would help alleviate traffic congestion coming from I-85 N to the NDH exit.
I believe there's already a plan in place to dedicate lanes coming onto the NDH exit to directly feed into EP.

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-10-2017 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or