Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:14 PM

23 posts, read 22,626 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Los Angeles to Atlanta and are flying in this week to see two homes in the Morningside and Edmund Park neighborhoods of the city. Would those neighborhoods be good for a quiet couple in their late 20s with 2 kids under 2? I'm a stay at home mom and my husband frequently travels so I am looking for neighborhoods that are relatively walkable with a stroller, lots of parks/restaurants in the proximity, kid friendly basically. Our real estate agent mentioned Emory was near by and that was really appealing to me. We are looking for a "community/college-town feel" and we were tired of how spread out and difficult to navigate LA is. Are there any other neighborhoods you would recommend besides those two?

Also, how is the Morningside school vs. the private school Paideia? We are weighing on whether to not do preschool (we aren't fans of church preschools) and just send our oldest to pre-k when the time comes and our real estate agent mentioned Paideia had an option for kids 4 and older. Is it worthwhile?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 09:39 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,614 times
Paideia is a wonderful school and there are other private schools nearby if you want to go that route. Morningside elementary is well-regarded, as well. Will your husband be commuting to an office when he is not traveling? If so, what area is his office in? That would determine what other areas you would want to consider.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Paideia is a wonderful school and there are other private schools nearby if you want to go that route. Morningside elementary is well-regarded, as well. Will your husband be commuting to an office when he is not traveling? If so, what area is his office in? That would determine what other areas you would want to consider.
He will not be commuting, he works overseas mostly. So travel not concern for him. But I'd like to be in a place where I don't have to drive a lot.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:43 AM

219 posts, read 270,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbdd205 View Post
He will not be commuting, he works overseas mostly. So travel not concern for him. But I'd like to be in a place where I don't have to drive a lot.
What streets in Morningside?

We have a great park on Sherwood and there are tons of families with young kids to babies right around the park. With Ansley mall down the street we can get by with barely driving on the weekend. I know we have a couple houses on the market but they are probably 1mil+

Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
What streets in Morningside?

We have a great park on Sherwood and there are tons of families with young kids to babies right around the park. With Ansley mall down the street we can get by with barely driving on the weekend. I know we have a couple houses on the market but they are probably 1mil+
The one in Morningside is on East Rock Springs Rd. Do you have any other recs for good streets to look at? Our budget is 900K for 4/4. We can go a little above that but would prefer not to.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:06 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,993,614 times
Have you looked at Grant Park or City of Decatur?

Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
If I were you I'd expand my search to nearby neighborhoods like Garden Hills and Peachtree Park. There are no bad streets in Morningside or any of these other areas.

Also, there are tons of young families with kids in the Sarah Smith district (North Buckhead), just north of Phipps Plaza. The locals love those schools. They have direct access to the airport via the Buckhead and Lenox train stations. That might fit your bill, though it might be tough to find 4 bedrooms under a million.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:56 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Don't think you could go wrong with any of the aforementioned. Good neighborhoods, good elementary schools, very social and family-friendly, access to most anything.
I'll add my two cents now:

Druid Hills (Fernbank Elem)

https://www.druidhills.org/

Oak Grove (Oak Grove Elem)

https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/oa...--decatur--ga/

Collier Hills (E Rivers Elem)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Margaret Mitchell (Morris Brandon Elem)

http://www.mmca-atlanta.org/

Good Luck!

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbdd205 View Post
The one in Morningside is on East Rock Springs Rd. Do you have any other recs for good streets to look at? Our budget is 900K for 4/4. We can go a little above that but would prefer not to.
Our agent told us to avoid streets with double yellow lines. Rock Springs is a pretty active through street. If you are going out during rush hour, it may be difficult to get out of your driveway.

But Morningside is a good neighborhood with quite a few families and quite a few quiet streets. Morningside Elementary is viewed in the top tier of public elementary schools, along with some of the other ones mentioned-Morris Brandon, Fernbank and Oak Grove. Sarah Smith is viewed in the top tier as well, but I've seen one report that says they don't do particularly well given their demographics (relatively high average income and few lower income students).

Old 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Our agent told us to avoid streets with double yellow lines.
Gee, that would eliminate many of the most spectacular and desirable streets in the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta