Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 02:29 PM

273 posts, read 503,161 times

Advertisements

I work from home 75% and 25% travel internationally. I've lived mostly along the east coast and I'm currently priced out of buying a home in the D.C. metro area. To get a nice 2/2 brownstone in a nice or newly gentrified area would cost around $700-800K. If been checking out different cities and purchasing in the range upwards to $850K.

I've been comparing cities and cost-of-living calculators and I can't figure out why the homes are so huge and moderately priced. The homes I've been viewing are in suburbs (*sp - Dunwitty, Jonesboro, etc.)

Are these suburbs very distant from malls, shopping areas? Are the Georgia suburbs safe from crime and militia groups, etc?

I'd be moving as a bachelor, no children. Income in the low $200s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 02:32 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,259 times
They are huge properties that will cost a fortune to maintain and will have little to no appreciation and are in less desirable neighborhoods, hence the low dollar per square foot value.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:39 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Washington to Boston and the West Coast are FAR more expensive than the rest of the country. The real question should be why its so expensive in those places.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:46 PM

273 posts, read 503,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Washington to Boston and the West Coast are FAR more expensive than the rest of the country. The real question should be why its so expensive in those places.
In D.C., I think its due to a concentration of federal workers that have inflated salaries. The low unemployment rate during the economic downturn is why I moved here. There were so many job openings during that time I felt more confident if I needed to job search. there was also a huge hike in salary. I soon became a 100% teleworker and looking to take advantage in a new city.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
You have to look at the neighborhoods carefully.

I mean, coming from DC, you'll probably be surprised to see that $600k will get you a very nice home in a very good part of town, like a Dunwoody.

But then you also have places like Jonesboro where you might say holy cow, I can get a mansion for $300k! Well, those are the areas that you have to look out for because they did build some very nice neighborhoods in some less than desirable areas.

And sometimes -- and I think I can say this without appearing racist -- you can get really good deals in places like Lithonia, College Park, etc. Where it's not that there's anything wrong with the areas per se, they aren't bad...but they are almost entirely African-American, and that seems to impact the values of the homes there. I'm sure someone here will be able to go through the history and sociological timelines much better than I can, but it seems like there were many luxury homes built for professional African-Americans, of which Atlanta has a lot. And I think that in fact, it did work, and there are areas of very professional African-Americans in the metro. But those houses never appreciated like other areas for a bunch of reasons. That explains why you can get a really nice looking 4000 square foot home for peanuts.

But there are lots of other areas that have more diverse populations and more luxury retail, restaurants, etc. where you will pay a lot more per square foot....but still probably considerably less than DC!

I'm just trying to explain the "catch" to ultra-cheap housing prices in some areas. Maybe it matters to you, maybe not.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:43 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
In D.C., I think its due to a concentration of federal workers that have inflated salaries
Most Federal employees can't afford it and have to live far. Some high ups I'm sure can afford it, but there's also plenty of lobbyiests who can afford it and DC is also home to a large amount of non gov't jobs.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Dude, you could live like a king at that price range in the Atlanta burbs... check out Peachtree City since you need to be close to the airport.

lol at the militia group comment.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:06 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Its just cheaper in the south

Old 02-11-2017, 06:34 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
With a $200k salary, you can live damn near anywhere you want in town. If I were a bachelor, I wouldn't even be looking for a house. I'd be getting a swank apartment right in the middle of town. But, everyone has different preferences. Still, you don't even need to go to the suburbs to get a nice house with that kind of cash. But if you want a big house and a big yard, then pick your suburb.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:50 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
With a $200k salary, you can live damn near anywhere you want in town. If I were a bachelor, I wouldn't even be looking for a house. I'd be getting a swank apartment right in the middle of town. But, everyone has different preferences. Still, you don't even need to go to the suburbs to get a nice house with that kind of cash. But if you want a big house and a big yard, then pick your suburb.
There are plenty of neighborhoods in town that require more than a 200k salary lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta