Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

A shame, really. I thought this was one of John Portman's better efforts; I loved the way his building related to and celebrated its' classical neighbor with its' hommage au theatre classique.

https://archpaper.com/2017/02/dobbs-...emory-portman/

One question I have is how the new building will accomplish this, if at all. The facade of the older building is a treasure.
Driving through the Clifton Corridor these days (like driving through so many neighborhoods in Atlanta) is a mind-blowing experience. In the midst of this great metamorphosis it's reassuring to know that Emory has someone dedicated to architectural oversight on the campus. From the article:

"Emory cares for a particularly strong portfolio. Its stock of late modern architecture includes contributions from the giants: The Michael C. Carlos Museum by Michael Graves, William R. Cannon Chapel and the Pitts Theology Library interiors by Paul Rudolph, and the George W. Woodruff Physical Education Center by Portman. The school, Fabrick ([sic]University Architect Jen Fabrick) assured, has every intention of keeping these buildings."

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-15-2017 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:13 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
An excellent analysis, LD. I agree 100%.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Wow.

This public university graduate simply can't relate. I never attended a school with so much money that they would just do this without a dire need (like the old building is literally falling apart).

I wonder how much of the students' tuition goes to things like tearing down perfectly good buildings and putting up new ones? Or maybe it's funded by private donations?

P.S. - I took a continuing education course at Emory and did not find the quality of education to be any different/better than public universities.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wow.

This public university graduate simply can't relate. I never attended a school with so much money that they would just do this without a dire need (like the old building is literally falling apart).

I wonder how much of the students' tuition goes to things like tearing down perfectly good buildings and putting up new ones? Or maybe it's funded by private donations?

P.S. - I took a continuing education course at Emory and did not find the quality of education to be any different/better than public universities.
Sounds to me like the same rationale for replacing the Georgia Dome...the competitive environment. Emory is vying for an international brainpool and feels that its' facilities have to be state of the art and meet contemporary expectations of a ever-expanding student body. Besides, it sounds like growth is continuing to ta an already dysfunctional situation in terms of logistics and delivery of food services. It's a shame, but the reasons are apparent and there is a dire need, at least in Emory's eyes.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:18 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sounds to me like the same rationale for replacing the Georgia Dome...the competitive environment. Emory is vying for an international brainpool and feels that its' facilities have to be state of the art and meet contemporary expectations of a ever-expanding student body. Besides, it sounds like growth is continuing to ta an already dysfunctional situation in terms of logistics and delivery of food services. It's a shame, but the reasons are apparent and there is a dire need, at least in Emory's eyes.
Reminds me of GSU and Kell Hall in that the existing facilities ended up becoming functionally obsolete.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Razed in Atlanta: 6 great buildings we lost - Atlanta Magazine

Old 02-15-2017, 11:17 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,737 times
The DUC really wasn't all that great. Honestly, glad to see it go. Meanwhile, as always, construction is on fire on Emory's campus.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
The DUC really wasn't all that great. Honestly, glad to see it go. Meanwhile, as always, construction is on fire on Emory's campus.
Clifton Road looks like Sarajevo circa 1996 right now. It will be a very different place when they finish.
And yes, the article indicates that the students have been very critical of the building's practical aspects just as you are.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Reminds me of GSU and Kell Hall in that the existing facilities ended up becoming functionally obsolete.
Kell Hall is a converted parking deck. I'll shed no tears over its' loss.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Kell Hall is a converted parking deck. I'll shed no tears over its' loss.
As a GSU alum, I agree. Kell was basically the university cheapening out on expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: