U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:07 PM

1,151 posts, read 927,933 times

Advertisements

Race aside; turning the whole city into Buckhead/Brookhaven sounds awful.

That's basically what's happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 PM

7,698 posts, read 9,537,430 times
Quote:
turning the whole city into Buckhead/Brookhaven sounds awful.
The city should be so lucky.

The East Side trail portion of the Beltline has turned into an episode from season one of Girls.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:55 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,731,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post

It's mostly because we're not meeting demand with supply yet.

I'm not a complete buy-in for market economies, but in this case it looks to hold up. Stop-gaps can be implemented, but the long-term solution is to build up density. One reason we have so many 'luxury' apartments is a combination of both barriers to development and a pent-up demand for new housing.

The first means that rents need to go up to make up for higher construction costs, and the latter means that premiums can be charged for what might not otherwise fetch a premium.

Over time, the current 'luxury' units will matriculate to lower rents as they age, and continued efforts to lower barriers to density will help drive down entry development (and thus hopefully rent) costs. Couple that with decentives for low-density and empty lots and we can (hopefully) meet housing demands.

We should especially be doing all we can to incentivize development around current and future transit, which, even with higher rents, should help by decreasing transportation costs.

Trust me, I want us to do all we can to help the poor be more prosperous in life, and not be kicked out of neighborhoods that they've spent a lifetime working within, but attempting to stop development and continued efforts to improve the quality of our city is not the way to go about it. In fact, there's good evidence that doing so in the long-term just makes things worse.

We should, perhaps, be focusing on less grandiose projects to improve things across the board, but things like the BeltLine, though, are essential for ensuring financial stability for the future. I have no problems with social policies and charity and such, but we must have a city financially able to support those efforts.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:58 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,115,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I call it a failure to leverage a political advantage at the group level...as well as an inabiiity or unwillingness to practice group economics.

The opportunity was there starting in the Maynard Jackson era and it was never seized upon collectively with gusto.

At this point I am emotionally numb.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:42 AM

20,917 posts, read 32,919,102 times
So I infer that creating an environment that fosters a spirit of economic self-determination is the city's 'dirty little secret'? If it weren't so heartwrenchingly pathetic it would be laughable.
And yes, I agree with posters here asserting that it is an insult to the black community, as if they had no free will or ability to participate in the process. Am I also to infer that there is some organized and nefarious plot by other ethnic groups to shut them out?

Old 02-18-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post

Kindly explain this statement to me, because from where I'm sitting it looks like an immature and petulant display of class envy.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 AM

643 posts, read 311,266 times
Ignorant, racist blacks. Smh

Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Ignorant, racist blacks. Smh
Not helpful.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:39 AM

992 posts, read 516,823 times
First white flight was blamed for the decline of inner city neighborhoods, now there are complaints that whites are coming back?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:47 AM

27,758 posts, read 24,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think it's fair to say that the African American community certainly had plenty of time to make Atlanta great. If some diversity was required to bring it to the next level, well....
Oh give me a break. Atlanta has been "great" for at least the past 4-5 decades and Black folks, including Black leadership, played an extremely pivotal role in making it happen. Black folks aren't an asterisk in Atlanta's rise to greatness; they (we) are central characters, despite the White flight, hostility to MARTA expansion, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or