Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Actually many of the neighborhoods have gone thru at least 1 other racial changes. First going from prominently white to prominently black, during white flight of the mid-20th century.
So far, these are the neighborhoods I've seen being indicted for this supposed social injustice:

Kirkwood
East Atlanta
East Lake
Cabbagetown
Old Fourth Ward
Edgewood
Grant Park
West End

All began their existence as predominantly white and working class (well, maybe not O4W; Boulevard in it's early days was one of Atlanta's wealthiest streets). The racial demographics shifted sometime in the 60s and 70s and began to shift back 20-25 years later. So to base your argument on the idea that these were historically black communities is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 AM

155 posts, read 206,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Of the ones you have listed only Reynoldstown was a historic Black Neighborhood. The others were majority working class Whites until about 1970ish depending on the neighborhood. History didn't start in 1970.
Actually sir you need to go back and do your research or have some conversations with real Atlantans who are actually from there because for one Blandtown is a historic black neighborhood and is even named after a slave

Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So far, these are the neighborhoods I've seen being indicted for this supposed social injustice:

Kirkwood
East Atlanta
East Lake
Cabbagetown
Old Fourth Ward
Edgewood
Grant Park
West End

All began their existence as predominantly white and working class (well, maybe not O4W; Boulevard in it's early days was one of Atlanta's wealthiest streets). The racial demographics shifted sometime in the 60s and 70s and began to shift back 20-25 years later. So to base your argument on the idea that these were historically black communities is flawed.
I am not arguing either way, but I think it should be stated that these areas have seen previous racial shifts.
Also not listed; Mozley Park, Center Hill, Adair Park, Westview, Adamsville

Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 AM

155 posts, read 206,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I dont know why the WHITE LGBT folks do this. All my Black LGBT people I hang out with dont co sign everything they say. This is why I feel like I do. The White LGBT they are the main ones dissing the Christians but they stay clear of Muslims, the main ones pushing for this everyone should use the same restroom agenda. Black LGBT know these things are not for them and they have told me this. Several Black LGBT had said they dont agree with the bathroom thing. They even give the example of results of a Black trans man going into a woman's bathroom. White people are terrified of such a thing and I dont fault them for it. The White LGBT and the Black LGBT are way different. I know because the stuff I see here and the stuff I see in real life with my black LGBT coworkers and family (wife's sister is lesbian) does not match. White LGBT try to be the spokesmen for all LGBT when they actually are not. I wont even touch the Gay is the new Black conversation or white female feminist agenda either. People really cant figure out why Trump got elected? And someone called me DUMB like a 5 year old? If I had an issue with LGBT why am I am playing spades with them every other weekend? Why do we go out bowling all the time? Why I help my LGBT friends when they need me? Just helped a gay dude paint one of his bedrooms YESTERDAY in Vine City-English Ave, but if you dont agree with white LGBT and their disruptive behaviors you are homophobic. Thats the conclusion they always jump to. I tell some of my black LGBT Christian folks some of the stuff I read here and they say "its not that serious"

Matthew Shepard vs Emmitt Till and thousands of black males lynched from 1900-1970. Yea we have the SAME struggle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynchi..._United_States. This what YOUR people did.
When you say all of that I definitely agree with everything you have said. My Black LGBT friends and family don't care for this political agenda that the white LGBT is doing nor did they care much about the whole marriage thing because they have a hard enough time just being BLACK MEN.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:52 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Actually sir you need to go back and do your research or have some conversations with real Atlantans who are actually from there because for one Blandtown is a historic black neighborhood and is even named after a slave
It would be the only other one. The rest were majority working class White neighborhoods up until the very late 1960's or early 1970's. I am from Atlanta and I am not trying to re-write history like you seem to be attempting to do.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Kirkwood
East Atlanta
East Lake
Cabbagetown
Old Fourth Ward
Edgewood
Grant Park
West End

How can this be? Thaddeus_Hewitt says otherwise.........Hopefully he doesn't tell you that you need to do some research.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It would be the only other one. The rest were majority working class White neighborhoods up until the very late 1960's or early 1970's. I am from Atlanta and I am not trying to re-write history like you seem to be attempting to do.
They left on their own, not pushed out by rising prices.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
When you say all of that I definitely agree with everything you have said. My Black LGBT friends and family don't care for this political agenda that the white LGBT is doing nor did they care much about the whole marriage thing because they have a hard enough time just being BLACK MEN.
My LGBT family is just trying to stay employed, make sure they can afford their HIV meds and enjoy life. Thats one of the things I like about the Black LGBT they try to enjoy themselves. They never try to force feed any agenda with a spike laced spoon. They just live their lives. Its pretty dope.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
They left on their own, not pushed out by rising prices.
That is irrelevant. History didn't begin in Atlanta in 1970. Trying to claim that those neighborhoods were historically black is incorrect. I corrected him. So did someone else. Doesn't matter why someone left it doesn't change that they were there.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:03 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I am not arguing either way, but I think it should be stated that these areas have seen previous racial shifts.
Also not listed; Mozley Park, Center Hill, Adair Park, Westview, Adamsville
I was agreeing with you, in case it was a vague response (it sorta was ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta