U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2017, 06:02 PM
 
693 posts, read 260,862 times
Reputation: 429

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The hilarious part of this your so far to the right, and want black people to blame white so bad and trying straw man that in the convo, That you assumes what are my views......... and you don't realized that part of this in fought of black leaders in Atlanta.

Everything is not white vs black people again you stop it.


Ummm There something called lower, middle and upper class......... if the neighborhood was a low middle class you can't replace half the neighborhood with up class homes and condos.


I going to ignore how quick this turn to white vs minorities to you, which show your true colors. This comes from not listening and trying to argue. You creative your own dilemma in your head from not listening.

Again this goes back to economically diverse housing, there nothing wrong with the lower, middle or upper class Whites moving in. If you actually read my post you would notice I had no opposition to whites moving in. I want whites, black, Latino, Asians to come to together that great. The problem is this not that it's not integration it's replacing with another segregation.

I don't give one flying F about what color of who is in power. It doesn't matter if the black pop drop out of the majority as long as the black is still growing.

Memphis has a way larger black percentage than NY, but not only is NY more diverse. but ironically still NY has a way larger black pop then Memphis and more cultural center to blacks. I rather for ATL to grow like NY than Memphis. Otherwise Atlanta black pop doesn't have to decrease from Atlanta to become more diverse. It's not a either or, black or white, win lose situations. How ever any situation no matter if it's white, black, Asians and etc is decreasing bad.

The issue are developers building just upper class housing in lower middle class neighborhoods it's not white people, you straw man it as blaming whites because you wanted it to be your argument to counter. It doesn't work when that not my position.

I never assigned any views to you. It seems you didn't follow the link. Because if you did you would be able to follow the conversation. Which was that blacks are being 'pushed' out of Atlanta which is a ridiculous, untrue, and divisive statement. Things change and go in cycles. There just happens to be a current trend of many different people moving into the city limits right now. All of them are welcome regardless of their background, race, color, creed, religion, or gender. For whatever misguided reason this is upsetting some people. They are the ones who are going to have to deal with it because it isn't stopping anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2017, 08:28 PM
 
994 posts, read 1,109,254 times
Reputation: 1225
It's more complex than everyone here is stating. I encourage people to actually find a way to go see the documentary. I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 09:17 PM
 
1,367 posts, read 1,571,076 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
First white flight was blamed for the decline of inner city neighborhoods, now there are complaints that whites are coming back?
Let's be very careful not to sweep all of the real injustices of our history out the door just because of this unfortunate and misguided campaign. White flight was just one component of an entire system that included redlining, segregation, transportation policies, systemic economic prejudices, and so on that not only led to the decline of cities but most certainly negatively impacted African Americans in this country. If these were in my history I might see a "boogey man" once or twice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 PM
 
4,229 posts, read 4,117,823 times
Reputation: 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I never assigned any views to you. It seems you didn't follow the link. Because if you did you would be able to follow the conversation. Which was that blacks are being 'pushed' out of Atlanta which is a ridiculous, untrue, and divisive statement. Things change and go in cycles. There just happens to be a current trend of many different people moving into the city limits right now. All of them are welcome regardless of their background, race, color, creed, religion, or gender. For whatever misguided reason this is upsetting some people. They are the ones who are going to have to deal with it because it isn't stopping anytime soon.
Push obliviously was not to be taken literal, the point they making is clearly about gentrification.

gentrification is when the population a neighborhood no longer can afford to live in the neighborhoods, so it's like they was pushed out there neighborhoods. gentrification disproportionately effect minorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It is about double standards. One set of rules applies to one group(s) and not others. That isn't a straw man. If you followed the original link and watched the trailer it absolutely is unfortunately a black or white thing. One group is being blamed for something. You have to be able to think critically and ask yourself if I replace that one group with another group would the outcome be the same? It wouldn't. That is just reality. Unfortunately.

Luckily things are changing.
It's not a double standard you brought up Koreans, so let use that for a example

There is no instances of whites moving out a neighborhood because they can't afford it and a bunch of wealthy Koreans moving in.

If there were case of lower class whites moving because they can't afford the neighborhood they grew up in with a bunch of wealthy minorities coming in that would be bad, yes that would be gentrification. but that is not happening.

There are instances of white flight which is the opposite the wealthier whites flee a neighborhood as it becomes more diverse. In the case of white flight they already could afford the neighborhood nothing was forcing them to leave. except a fear diversity.

What I mean by seeing as black and white I mean your seeing things binary.

1. Black population stay dominate the city

or

2. Whites come and black leave

no

I'm saying neither 3. The black and white pop both should both be growing.

Your thinking blacks want to dominate the percentage of the city no they want to keep a presence with in the diversity. gentrification is negative.

People are defensive of a neighborhood losing a demographic and amenities. To gain a white population the neighborhood shouldn't have lose it's black population. They should combine.

NY has 3,362,616 Blacks but only 17.8

Memphis 601,043 Blacks but only 45.7

NY has less percentage then Memphis, but that irrelevant NY has much larger Black pop and amenities.

The issue is not the white pop moving in, the issue is that black pop is decreasing. from 2000 to 2010 the CoA lost blacks. And it's not the white people moving in it's the developers just making upscale homes in lower class neigborhoods and not a mix, as well as I said partly the city leaders fault who are black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2017, 09:46 PM
 
1,268 posts, read 629,995 times
Reputation: 1684
You guys keep going back and forth on this but at the end of the day all that really matters to me and most people in this city is that it's getting much nicer. Formerly gun-riddled apartment complexes are being demolished for luxury high rises. People can finally walk around and feel safe in many areas. Are people being displaced? Yeah, they are, and for some it really does suck, but that's life. Some of these people have had decades to improve their neighborhood and instead chose to let it become a picture of urban blight and crime. If affluent people moving in and displacing them is what it takes to make the streets safe and the schools functional then so be it.

Everyone loves all the development taking place. People brag about Ponce city market and our burgeoning food scene. Well, those things didn't pop up to cater to urban ghettos. They exist because of the new wave of affluent gentrifiers. It's those people who are improving Atlanta, and they should be celebrated not attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 06:47 AM
 
693 posts, read 260,862 times
Reputation: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Push obliviously was not to be taken literal, the point they making is clearly about gentrification.

gentrification is when the population a neighborhood no longer can afford to live in the neighborhoods, so it's like they was pushed out there neighborhoods. gentrification disproportionately effect minorities.


It's not a double standard you brought up Koreans, so let use that for a example

There is no instances of whites moving out a neighborhood because they can't afford it and a bunch of wealthy Koreans moving in.

If there were case of lower class whites moving because they can't afford the neighborhood they grew up in with a bunch of wealthy minorities coming in that would be bad, yes that would be gentrification. but that is not happening.

There are instances of white flight which is the opposite the wealthier whites flee a neighborhood as it becomes more diverse. In the case of white flight they already could afford the neighborhood nothing was forcing them to leave. except a fear diversity.

What I mean by seeing as black and white I mean your seeing things binary.

1. Black population stay dominate the city

or

2. Whites come and black leave

no

I'm saying neither 3. The black and white pop both should both be growing.

Your thinking blacks want to dominate the percentage of the city no they want to keep a presence with in the diversity. gentrification is negative.

People are defensive of a neighborhood losing a demographic and amenities. To gain a white population the neighborhood shouldn't have lose it's black population. They should combine.

NY has 3,362,616 Blacks but only 17.8

Memphis 601,043 Blacks but only 45.7

NY has less percentage then Memphis, but that irrelevant NY has much larger Black pop and amenities.

The issue is not the white pop moving in, the issue is that black pop is decreasing. from 2000 to 2010 the CoA lost blacks. And it's not the white people moving in it's the developers just making upscale homes in lower class neigborhoods and not a mix, as well as I said partly the city leaders fault who are black.

People left Atlanta because the schools, infrastructure, and services were crumbling. What sane parent who cares about their children would leave them in schools that were starting to fail? So, they moved out to the suburbs where they had better schools, infrastructure, and services and were paying lower taxes on top of it. There is the false narrative of what happened and the actual narrative. People like to lay blame on that boogeyman I was telling you about. Things change. People of all backgrounds are now moving back into the city and clearly it is for the better because things certainly seem to be improving. That isn't a bad thing. It isn't a conspiracy. You have to be able to look at this from many different angles not just one narrative that has been parrroted for 40 years. You might be surprised what you actually find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: n/a
1,189 posts, read 734,349 times
Reputation: 1334
Certainly it could never be the case that the streets of a once familiar and welcoming neighborhood could become just the opposite, to the point of being shut out entirely? Please say we've come too far for that, current throwbacks notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 AM
 
1,310 posts, read 697,210 times
Reputation: 592
It used to be Chicken Gate was the boundary, where Monroe crosses Ponce and become Boulevard.. but that boundary has since been pushed farther south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 10:26 AM
 
1,151 posts, read 927,655 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Kindly explain this statement to me, because from where I'm sitting it looks like an immature and petulant display of class envy.
You have got to be kidding me.


If your knee-jerk reaction to this opinion was " some broke loser is hating on my weath and success" then you don't have the cultural nuance to get why making the whole city like Buckhead would not be desirable for every taste.

Last edited by bhammaster; 02-19-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2017, 10:36 AM
 
1,151 posts, read 927,655 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctruitt View Post

A larger issues is where do these people go and who will invest in the neighborhoods that they'll be shipped off to? Gentrification planning usually has no consideration for city planning or relocation of working class people.
Absolutely agreed. This is the real long term issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top