U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 10:41 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

If your knee-jerk reaction to this opinion was " some poor loser is hating on my weath and success" then you don't have the cultural nuance to get why making the whole city like Buckhead would not be desirable for every taste.
And yet, no explanation seems to be forthcoming.
And spare me that 'cultural nuance' nonsense, especially after you dismissed Buckhead and Brookhaven as being 'one-note' communities when it should be obvious to anyone that resides here that they are not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:54 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,114,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
People left Atlanta because the schools, infrastructure, and services were crumbling. What sane parent who cares about their children would leave them in schools that were starting to fail? So, they moved out to the suburbs where they had better schools, infrastructure, and services and were paying lower taxes on top of it. There is the false narrative of what happened and the actual narrative. People like to lay blame on that boogeyman I was telling you about. Things change. People of all backgrounds are now moving back into the city and clearly it is for the better because things certainly seem to be improving. That isn't a bad thing. It isn't a conspiracy. You have to be able to look at this from many different angles not just one narrative that has been parrroted for 40 years. You might be surprised what you actually find.
White flight started in the 50's and 60's, with the interstate projects, 2017 people more are use to diversity but 1950 and 1960 south people were still off there rocker with racism at the timing of white flight. lets be real here. No do I think presently most white are racist no, 1950's and 1960's south yes. During this time schools and the the generally south just become integrated, They fled because jim crow laws were over.... Their clear racial motive with in it, people were still racist.

later After white flight neighborhoods that once was majority white started to decline in after the 70's. So you got the chicken the egg backwards, yes now 2017 you can say people want to stay in the suburbs because of schools and crime but 1969 schools were good crime was low they left original because of integration. But All of that is the past and irrelevant to this situation,

----

I'm looking at this from many angles I just you examples your the one looking at this narrow which is why I said you seeing this as binary. The black pop doesn't have to decrease for the city to become more diverse.

But I have to correct something the bold is false.... which is probably why you don't get people are upset.

upper class whites are moving in, minorities who can't afford it are moving out.

From 2000 to 2010 CoA white population had increased by 22,763 people

From 2000 to 2010 CoA black population decreased by 31,678 people,

The Asian and Hispanic is growing but pales in comparison to the white growth which makes no sense considering 81% of Georgia as whole is minority.

That why this happen
Atlanta Beltline founder Ryan Gravel quits over housing costs

I get what your say crime and etc is improving, but if you look at the larger picture, With gentrification all that happen is the city is turning into one of those wealthy white burbs, And ironically some suburbs are turning into the hood. believe me I'm all for cities becoming more urban and nicer but there's a better way than just building upperclass housing. to fix this issue there needs to be more mix income communities and developers building for a more diverse incomes

After gentrification the people don't disappear, the issue is not fixed at all the people were just moved from the city to the suburbs.

Poverty Is Rising Much Faster in Suburbs Than in Cities | BillMoyers.com

Suburbs and the New American Poverty

Atlanta No. 4 for suburban poverty growth - Atlanta Magazine

Poverty in metro Atlanta's suburbs growing faster than in the city - SaportaReport

Old 02-19-2017, 12:00 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The Asian and Hispanic is growing but pales in comparison to the white growth which makes no sense considering 81% of Georgia as whole is minority.
Huh?

"According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Georgia had a population of 9,687,653. In terms of race the population was: 59.7% White American (55.9% Non-Hispanic White, 3.8% White Hispanic), 30.5% Black or African American (including Hispanics)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr...ia_(U.S._state)

Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 670 times
Unfortunately this is true for the area I live in. 14-20 miles from Downtown Atlanta.

For about 10 years it has been about 70% brown people/minorities and about 30% white.

Slowly the Rents started rising and house prices rose too.

As the Rents rose the browner people started leaving the area and have significantly been replaced by White people.

We have been witnessing Gentrification in the neighborhood.

Give it 1-2 years and the ratios will be totally flipped.

The areas that were more affordable for the brown people are being torn down for Condos, townhomes and other developments.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:16 PM

7,687 posts, read 9,527,345 times
Quote:
The areas that were more affordable for the brown people are being torn down for Condos, townhomes and other developments.
Yep, that's the risk you take when you rent.

If you want to control the price you pay for your home, you have to buy. This is not exclusive to brown people. If you want to blame anyone, blame the landlords. They don't HAVE to raise rents above what is required to cover their property taxes and they don't HAVE to sell to developers.

It's the free market, folks. That's how it works.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:25 PM

1,151 posts, read 926,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And yet, no explanation seems to be forthcoming.
And spare me that 'cultural nuance' nonsense, especially after you dismissed Buckhead and Brookhaven as being 'one-note' communities when it should be obvious to anyone that resides here that they are not.

Why on earth would I "explain" some false premise you made up about people who don't want all the culture washed out of the city and replaced with nothing but Ponce City Markets and Avalons.

"Class envy"

Jesus christ. Wealthy people live all over the metro and I can afford to get into Buckhead or Brookhaven if I wanted since must know.

The point is a lot of cultural and organic businesses get pushed out in he name of gentrification and "cleaning up" the city. Some of it is nice but you are delusional if you think killing all the soul this city has is going make it "better" and more desirable for everyone.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yep, that's the risk you take when you rent.

If you want to control the price you pay for your home, you have to buy. This is not exclusive to brown people. If you want to blame anyone, blame the landlords. They don't HAVE to raise rents above what is required to cover their property taxes and they don't HAVE to sell to developers.

It's the free market, folks. That's how it works.
Property tax also rises when a place is gentrified so even owning doesn't save them.

Of course I guess these people can sell for a profit, but one has to wonder where they will go and if the place they go will have the same level of investment.

I guess it's cool to imagine Atlanta being like Manhattan. That comes with social and cultural cost though.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Some of it is nice but you are delusional if you think killing all the soul this city has is going make it "better" and more desirable for everyone.
But...but....but Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market preserve the old buildings and keep the character of the city alive! Surely you can see that a Lulu Lemon and West Elm with original brick walls keeps the soul of the city alive and well.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I guess it's cool to imagine Atlanta being like Manhattan. That comes with social and cultural cost though.
Plus a delusional suspension of disbelief.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But...but....but Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market preserve the old buildings and keep the character of the city alive! Surely you can see that a Lulu Lemon and West Elm with original brick walls keeps the soul of the city alive and well.

Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or