U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,035,727 times

Advertisements

Teaching assistants make almost no money in Georgia (think less than $20,000). Living on little money in Atlanta may mean having to make tough choices about housing and neighborhoods. In addition, the easiest systems (in the metro ATL) to get teaching aide (called para-pros here) positions are the further out counties of Gwinnett, Paulding, Hentry etc where the population is fastest growing. None of these are well served by public transportation.

I would compare this to Charlotte.

Also, are you planning on pursuing your RN or something else? You need to make sure you understand the locations of these programs and whether they are public transportation accessible.

Atlanta (and probably Charlotte --really all of the South) is a car city.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 PM

11 posts, read 64,240 times
Charlotte is the largest city in the state of North Carolina and the 20th largest city in the United States. It has a 2006 estimated population of approximately 664,342[1] as of January 1, 2007. It is the county seat of Mecklenburg County,GR6 and is located in the south-central part of the state in the Piedmont region, near the South Carolina border. The city's economy has and is continuing to mature starting in the 1990s and continuing through the 2000s to become dominated by financial services, as well as retail commerce. According to 2006 estimates, Charlotte is the 5th fastest growing among large U.S. cities as well as the fastest growing city on the East Coast.[2]

Old 10-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluewinner View Post
Charlotte is the largest city in the state of North Carolina and the 20th largest city in the United States. It has a 2006 estimated population of approximately 664,342[1] as of January 1, 2007. It is the county seat of Mecklenburg County,GR6 and is located in the south-central part of the state in the Piedmont region, near the South Carolina border. The city's economy has and is continuing to mature starting in the 1990s and continuing through the 2000s to become dominated by financial services, as well as retail commerce. According to 2006 estimates, Charlotte is the 5th fastest growing among large U.S. cities as well as the fastest growing city on the East Coast.[2]
and another thing we all say well what if, but cities all have boundries and whats inside the boundries is the city. We can all say that, I know that Fulton County (Atlanta Metro) has almost a million people. Adjacent Counties include Gwinnett County (800,000), Dekalb County(650,000), Cobb County (700,000) etc. but thats not Atlanta They are cities 20-30 away from Atlanta. Rock hill is not Charlotte, but it is about 15 mins away, so it is what it is these are the facts. Charlotte is the 20 largest city in the us, and Atlanta is the 34th. I don't know about were all these close by cities rank on this list. You want see 16 lane highways in Atlanta or Charlotte, but they both have 6, interstate 77 becomes 6 lanes before you get in Charlotte. Charlotte already looks better, Imagine if it did have 5 skylines. Most of the buildings in Charlotte are new

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 23,396 times
Default newell2003

I have never lived in charlotte, but i live in atlanta. I'm originally from northern california and atlanta is nothing like it. Most people do not live in atlanta and most jobs are not in atlanta, so marta can be useless. The car pooling system is not very good either, because most car pool lanes have just as much traffic as the regular lanes. Also most of the highways don't even have a car pool lane. Traffic is really bad almost all over no matter what time of the day or day of the week you travel. When i moved here back in 1998 I really enjoyed the atl, but after 911 it changed. Jobs don't really pay that much like as San Francisco, NYC, Boston, Chicago...etc. Plus it is getting over crowded and more competetive for jobs...we have more people then we have jobs...we have more homes than we have people. If you are ready to make some sacrafices then you will be ok. My sister was pursing a nursing career and all the nursing programs are at full capacity and have 1yr waiting lists.

Last edited by newell2003; 10-25-2007 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM

135 posts, read 727,705 times
Quote:
and another thing we all say well what if, but cities all have boundries and whats inside the boundries is the city.

That's what I'm saying. Of course you can fit more people into an almost 300ish square mile boundary (Charlotte)versus a 140ish square mile boundary (Atlanta). Annexation laws aren't as liberal in Georgia as they are in North Carolina. Political boundaries mean nothing when determining a city's true size. Population doesn't stop at city limit signs. There are vast areas INSIDE THE "BELTWAY" of Atlanta that aren't even considered Atlanta proper. Atlanta's Metro area is the 9th largest in the US. I'm a native of NC so I know what Charlotte is about. By the way, Atlanta's downtown connector is 16 lanes. I-85 through Gwinnett is 14 lanes, I-75 through Cobb ranges from 12-16 lanes. (I'm counting both sides.)

The Atlanta metropolitan area, commonly referred to as metro Atlanta in Georgia, is the ninth-largest metropolitan area in the United States. The 2006 Census estimate shows 5,478,667 people living in the area. The city of Atlanta is only the 35th-largest city in the country, largely due to the area's patterns of urban sprawl and the city's inability to annex as have such cities as Charlotte, San Diego, and Phoenix.

The Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is defined as five counties in North Carolina and one county in South Carolina. The population of the MSA was at 1,405,173 in the 2000 US Census; 2005 estimates place the population at 1,521,278. At present, the metro area is the 23rd largest in the U.S.

From 5.4 million to 1.5 million... that's a drastic difference lol. The whole thing is like comparing apples and oranges really.

Last edited by willrusso; 10-26-2007 at 08:18 AM..

Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,412,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willrusso View Post
From 5.4 million to 1.5 million... that's a drastic difference lol. The whole thing is like comparing apples and oranges really.
I dunno. The Twin Cities metro area only has 3.5 million people, but in most respects it's quite similar to the Atlanta metro, except the traffic isn't nearly as bad because of somewhat saner road planning for secondary roads (there are usually multiple route choices even when using interstates).

I guess it's closer to Atlanta than Charlotte in size, though.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:29 PM

I see what you are saying, but thats like wishing that the city limits were bigger, to include more of the people in the metro; but the city really said ok Atlanta stops here, and another city begins. I already know Atlanta has a larger metro And the city of Charlotte has larger land area, This will let the city of Charlotte grow even more. I have family in both cities. I'm just stating the facts. I wonder why on every document it says Charlotte is larger than Atlanta. Maby because it is. It also says Atlanta metro is larger, because it is. The city of Atlanta drew the limit for the city, and whats out side the limits is another city. case close end of discussion. The facts are all on line.
no need to argue over these cities buddy. We both have other things to do.

peace man

Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I see what you are saying, but thats like wishing that the city limits were bigger, to include more of the people in the metro; but the city really said ok Atlanta stops here, and another city begins. I already know Atlanta has a larger metro And the city of Charlotte has larger land area, This will let the city of Charlotte grow even more. I have family in both cities. I'm just stating the facts. I wonder why on every document it says Charlotte is larger than Atlanta. Maby because it is. It also says Atlanta metro is larger, because it is. The city of Atlanta drew the limit for the city, and whats out side the limits is another city. case close end of discussion. The facts are all on line.

peace man
to Willrusso

Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 PM

13,440 posts, read 21,894,824 times
Quote:

peace man
dabluewinner, you are missing the whole point.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,569,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblewis8 View Post
dabluewinner, you are missing the whole point.
dabluewinner, maybe you'll see what were gettin at with this example. Let's say somebody drew a one square mile square in the center of New York City and said ' everything inside this square is New York City everything outside is the suburbs'.

New York would still be the same city and it's metro population would still be the same but the actual city population would drop to under 100,000. Technically New York would become one of the smallest cities in America and Charlotte, Atlanta, and a host of other cities could all brag that we're bigger than New York City. But realistically there would still be no comparision between New York and Charlotte or Atlanta.

This is what we mean by metro population is what really counts. Because by changing the size of your city limits you can make a lot of cities look huge in population or very small but their metro areas populations still remain the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or