Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:34 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,041,027 times

Advertisements

TRue. I love my city of Charlotte and i also love Atl. Charlotte is more east coast while Atl is more "dirty south'. BUt you can do the same things in either city pretty much. The only difference is really the traffic. Since char has a bigger city population, traffic inside the city is far worse. However, since Atl has the bigger metro area, traffic on the highways and city outskirts is worse. But to each his own. SHout outs for that "QC/ATL" connection!!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,085,671 times
atlanta highways are alot bigger thans charlotte we have better mas transit in the city we have way more people working in the city than charlotte. Everyone needs to stop comparing them there no comparison atl is compared to houston and dallas and miami charlotte is comepared to nashville jacksonville tampa etc charlotte is what atlanta was in the 80s

Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,009,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Charlotte is even smaller than what you posted...metro population actually around 1.5 million (2 million is probably Charlottian (sp?) wishful thinking...!)

One cannot really compare Charlotte and Atlanta...they are in two totally different leagues! It would be liking posting...New York City vs. Tulsa?

Charlotte's league of cities: Nashville, Birmingham, Jacksonville, Louisville, Richmond, Wichita, St. Paul, etc.
To be fair, St. Paul is part of the 3.5-million-person Twin Cities metro area along with Minneapolis. That's quite a bit larger than the likes of Charlotte or Nashville. The two downtowns have a common border and form the center of the metro (it isn't just Minneapolis).

Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,085,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluewinner View Post
and another thing we all say well what if, but cities all have boundries and whats inside the boundries is the city. We can all say that, I know that Fulton County (Atlanta Metro) has almost a million people. Adjacent Counties include Gwinnett County (800,000), Dekalb County(650,000), Cobb County (700,000) etc. but thats not Atlanta They are cities 20-30 away from Atlanta. Rock hill is not Charlotte, but it is about 15 mins away, so it is what it is these are the facts. Charlotte is the 20 largest city in the us, and Atlanta is the 34th. I don't know about were all these close by cities rank on this list. You want see 16 lane highways in Atlanta or Charlotte, but they both have 6, interstate 77 becomes 6 lanes before you get in Charlotte. Charlotte already looks better, Imagine if it did have 5 skylines. Most of the buildings in Charlotte are new
charlotte does not look bigger and there are 16 lanes when you count both sides atlanta is bigger than charlotte and dekalb county is not 20 mins away niether is cobb or gwinnett it depends on where you go in those countys that makes it 20 to 30 mins

Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM

17 posts, read 46,136 times
I am from NC, lived in Charlotte and love ATL, yes Atlanta is bigger and better now because they took off before Charlotte, but if you live in the present than good for you, but if you live in the future, than Charlotte is the way to go, the growing trends of Charlotte have matched Atlanta's in the past and Charlotte has the opportunity to improve in areas where Atlanta screwed up. Give it 5-10 years and Charlotte will be up there with Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, etc.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,750,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd327 View Post
I am from NC, lived in Charlotte and love ATL, yes Atlanta is bigger and better now because they took off before Charlotte, but if you live in the present than good for you, but if you live in the future, than Charlotte is the way to go, the growing trends of Charlotte have matched Atlanta's in the past and Charlotte has the opportunity to improve in areas where Atlanta screwed up. Give it 5-10 years and Charlotte will be up there with Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, etc.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

475 posts, read 681,426 times
Quote:
I've lived in both places as well, and never understood the comparisons.

Charlotte is nice, but clearly 20+ years "behind" ATL.

That's terminology I hate to even invoke, but everyone is always talking about how Charlotte is "catching up." One question (if we're going to approach it this way): Do you realize Atlanta is a moving target? It's not in a holding pattern over these "catch up" years you speak of. So yes, in 25 years Charlotte will probably look like Atlanta 2009. It will not be on par with Atlanta 2034.

I love both cities. I just wish some Charlotteans would stop making "the next Atlanta" its goal.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM

970 posts, read 2,942,361 times
Quote:
Give it 5-10 years and Charlotte will be up there with Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, etc.
With the current banking debacle in full effect, I wouldn't count on that anymore....

Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,302,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post

I love both cities. I just wish some Charlotteans would stop making "the next Atlanta" its goal.
With the traffic (and other) issues that Atlanta has, you'd think they'd want to be the "next" anything except the "next Atlanta". They do have the opportunity to learn from some of the Atlanta metro area's mistakes, but to date they've been going down the same path of unregulated development and poor planning that got Atlanta where it is. One place they're ahead of Atlanta is with their public transportation system- they've got a light rail system under construction that's what the planned line up Peachtree might be in ten years.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,800,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
They do have the opportunity to learn from some of the Atlanta metro area's mistakes, but to date they've been going down the same path of unregulated development and poor planning that got Atlanta where it is.
I had mentioned this a long time ago, but will repeat it... a good number of years ago, there was a small convention in Atlanta. It wasn't publicized at all. No one knew about it until it was "leaked" to the media while it was going on. At that point, all the local channels did a story on it.

The convention? It was a small group of Mayors from smaller cities that were growing, who had come here. The theme? "How to avoid becoming the next Atlanta, and learn from Atlanta's mistakes". The Mayor of Charlotte at that time, was one of the attendees, along with I believe Raleigh, Chattanooga, Nashville, Austin, and a handful of others. The media tried to get a comment from somewhat new Mayor Franklin at the time about how she felt about that - she wouldn't comment, and I have a feeling she didn't meet up with the group with warm cookies, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta