Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:42 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,085,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
no, bofa tower is taller. its the tallest building in the US outside of NYC or Chicago
I was talking about bank of america buidling in CHarlotte i know Bank of america building in Atlanta is the Tallest outside of NYC and chicago. he said Charlotte BOA was the second tallest after Atlanta and that wasnt true key tower in Cleveland is

KEy TOwer The building reaches 57 stories or 947ft
BOA in charlotte 56th and 60th floors on the face as it reaches the tip of its crown 871 feet (265 m) above Tryon Street.[8]

Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 AM

608 posts, read 1,704,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
I really enjoy both cities, But ATL seems miles ahead of Charlotte. ATL is like Charlotte's daddy.Yea 10-15 years Charlotte might overpass it, but who wants to live in a city because in 15 years or so it will reach itss full potential? I dont think anyone does. I can understand why you would compare the two, but Charlotte is truly not on Atlanta's level (especially for African-Americans). You often see ATL - DC - LA - CHICAGO - NYC as the world class cites of america, you never will see Charlotte in this category, doesnt even look right.
Charlotte might start contracting at this point. Unemployment is through the roof. Keep in mind that Charlotte's growth over the past decade was largely a result of the growth of the big banks. Charlotte is America's #2 banking center (only behind NYC). Don't expect that rapid growth to return.

I think Atlanta's huge growth is behind it, as well. Atlanta is built for cheap gasoline. The higher gas becomes, the worse off Atlanta becomes. Atlanta also has the worst sprawl in the nation. It's become a complete nightmare from a resource perspective. Until underlying infrastructure and development problems are fixed, ATL's future growth will be limited. Fixing those problems will be a difficult, if not completely impossible, task. But on the positive side, the Atlanta economy is much more diversified than Charlotte's and ATL is perceived to be the capital of the South.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Charlotte might start contracting at this point. Unemployment is through the roof. Keep in mind that Charlotte's growth over the past decade was largely a result of the growth of the big banks. Charlotte is America's #2 banking center (only behind NYC). Don't expect that rapid growth to return.

I think Atlanta's huge growth is behind it, as well. Atlanta is built for cheap gasoline. The higher gas becomes, the worse off Atlanta becomes. Atlanta also has the worst sprawl in the nation. It's become a complete nightmare from a resource perspective. Until underlying infrastructure and development problems are fixed, ATL's future growth will be limited. Fixing those problems will be a difficult, if not completely impossible, task. But on the positive side, the Atlanta economy is much more diversified than Charlotte's and ATL is perceived to be the capital of the South.

I dont think Atlantas growth is limited because even in this trying time people are still moving here the city just moved up as the 8th largest Metro in USA surpassing DC metro that goes to show you that Atlanta metro area is still growning and the city limits grew very fast too and is still growning I think they Are working on infastructure inside the city limits first then working there way out.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:08 AM

625 posts, read 1,145,363 times
I visited Charlotte and was impressive with the downtown area. AS I stepped out of my car on my first visit, there was a nearby crosswalk with crisp white paint strips, and the light had a timed countdown!! and it was working! wow, I said to my local friend, "ya'll sure are fancy up here"

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,727,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Charlotte might start contracting at this point. Unemployment is through the roof. Keep in mind that Charlotte's growth over the past decade was largely a result of the growth of the big banks. Charlotte is America's #2 banking center (only behind NYC). Don't expect that rapid growth to return...
I wouldn’t drive a stake in Charlotte just yet. The city is still growing and is still very attractive place to live. And according to the first two reports below, Charlotte just beat out Atlanta for approximately 400 high-paying jobs between two separate companies.

Article 1: Report: Atlanta loses out to Charlotte for "several hundred" GMAC jobs - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Article 2: Toshiba nuclear division to add 194 jobs - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1504505.html - broken link)

Article 3: Ten Cities Where Americans Are Relocating - Forbes.com

Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I wouldn’t drive a stake in Charlotte just yet. The city is still growing and is still very attractive place to live. And according to the first two reports below, Charlotte just beat out Atlanta for approximately 400 high-paying jobs between two separate companies.

Article 1: Report: Atlanta loses out to Charlotte for "several hundred" GMAC jobs - Atlanta Business Chronicle:

Article 2: Toshiba nuclear division to add 194 jobs - Business - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1504505.html - broken link)

Article 3: Ten Cities Where Americans Are Relocating - Forbes.com

Charlotte is Growing like crazy Like i said earlier its the same trend that Atlanta did in 17 years over 3 million people moved to Atlanta In 1980 Atlanta Metro was at 2,233,000 that was 29 years ago Now we are at 5.3 million. SO both areas are still tremendously growing. Atlanta economys is so diverse that losing those jobs wouldnt hurt.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,119,354 times
Charlotte will hopefully not continue to repeat the same lack of planning as Atlanta.

I think when comparing cities, people should at least know the populations and other relevant data.

Metro Atlanta was at around 1.7 million in 1970, 2.2 in '80, 2.9 in '90 and 4.1 (or .3 I can't recall at the moment) in 2000.

Essentially population wise, Charlotte is at Atlanta in the early 70s.

Fortunately, the city has a rail system in place before Atlanta did at that time, but only partially.

Once Charlotte gets into the 2 millions range, it will get even more momentum as it will have a threshold of people for even more amenities, just like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston grew upon at relevant times.

Charlotte should focus on making Charlotte a better place for its residents and for smarter growth while it has less baggage to contend with.

Atlanta has a lot to offer, but imagine if Gwinnett county actually had planning in 1970 when less than 100,000 people lived in the entire county...

It's much harder to do things when there are hundreds of thousands more people living in a county and region. It's also more expensive to put things off.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Charlotte will hopefully not continue to repeat the same lack of planning as Atlanta.

I think when comparing cities, people should at least know the populations and other relevant data.

Metro Atlanta was at around 1.7 million in 1970, 2.2 in '80, 2.9 in '90 and 4.1 (or .3 I can't recall at the moment) in 2000.

Essentially population wise, Charlotte is at Atlanta in the early 70s.

Fortunately, the city has a rail system in place before Atlanta did at that time, but only partially.

Once Charlotte gets into the 2 millions range, it will get even more momentum as it will have a threshold of people for even more amenities, just like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston grew upon at relevant times.

Charlotte should focus on making Charlotte a better place for its residents and for smarter growth while it has less baggage to contend with.

Atlanta has a lot to offer, but imagine if Gwinnett county actually had planning in 1970 when less than 100,000 people lived in the entire county...

It's much harder to do things when there are hundreds of thousands more people living in a county and region. It's also more expensive to put things off.

True statement here Marta didnt start rail service till 79 but it was heavy rail system instead of light rail when it started. But i agree with your statment. This is what i was saying in the beginning. Everytime i go to Charlotte it just reminds me of a lil Atlanta.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I dont think Atlantas growth is limited because even in this trying time people are still moving here the city just moved up as the 8th largest Metro in USA surpassing DC metro that goes to show you that Atlanta metro area is still growning and the city limits grew very fast too and is still growning I think they Are working on infastructure inside the city limits first then working there way out.
I'm not sure what statistics you are reading but the Atlanta Metro is not larger than the DC Metro. My guess is that the source is discounting a large chunk of the DC metro area and lumping it in as a separate "Baltimore metro" and the "Annapolis metro", while the Atlanta stats include counties all the way to the Alabama border.

I've lived in both the ATL and DC metro areas and DC is larger. Atlanta has more nightmarish rush hour traffic, but DC has more nightmarish all-the-time traffic. Atlanta has more structural problems than DC.

There really isn't much room for Atlanta to expand much more. The suburbs already sprawl out dozens and dozens of miles. Resource constraints are a massive problem. The MARTA is underdeveloped when compared to the Metro in DC. Not to say it won't grow some still, but the phenomenal growth of the past two decades will come to an end. No one in their right mind wants to commute 2 hours to work every day. And the 'burbs were built with the premise that gasoline prices would say under $3 for the rest of eternity.

Don't let recent growth fool you. City demographic and economic trends tend to go in cycles and normally sneak up on people. In 1955, Memphis was considered one of the safest cities in America. Now it has the 4th highest crime rate in the nation. The Atlanta Metro has one of the most nightmarish development patterns in all of history. It's simply not sustainable in any way, shape, or form.

However, there is still some room for upward growth in Atlanta's core. My guess is that people will slowly start filtering into the core, while abandoning the suburbs. Or at least --- I hope. Otherwise, the city is just in for more pain in the future. It does have a diversified economy, as I said, which helps. It will continue to grow; just not like it did before.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:00 AM

Charlotte has one huge advantage that Atlanta does not from a city development perspective; the city of Charlotte controls most of the region around the city's core; even some os the "suburban" regions.

Atlanta's hugest issue is that there is no centralized planning. The city of Atlanta comprises about 1/10 of the "Atlanta Metro" area. The rest is divided up amongst smaller "cities" that all go in separate directions.

Charlotte also has room to grow --- whereas Atlanta is kinda stretched to the limit right now. However, Charlotte is going to have to attract more diverse employers to continue to grow. The banking/financial services industry is simply not going to be like it was in the '90s and '00s any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta