Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 AM

23 posts, read 22,612 times

Advertisements

So it looks like we will be moving to the Morningside neighborhood of Atlanta. My oldest will stay home with me for awhile longer and than we would like to start a pre-k program. Our realtor recommended Paideia and to apply during Fall 2017 for August 2018 admission when he is almost 4. We would be applying to the 5 days a week 1/2 day program. It looks like our home is zoned for Morningside Elementary. Would it be wise to do pre-k at Paideia and than send him to Morningside Elemantary and than back to Paideia after (unless he's really happy at Paideia and than I'd guess we would keep him there)? Are there other Pre-K programs that you guys recommend in or very close to Morningside? We specifically don't want a church program or anything too academic since our oldest will still be really young. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Check out the pre-K programs at the local churches. First Presbyterian at 16th and Peachtree has a wonderful program, and, I understand that Haygood Methodist on East Rock Springs has a fine program. My three girls all went to pre-K at First Presbyterian and we were very happy with the program.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Check out the pre-K programs at the local churches. First Presbyterian at 16th and Peachtree has a wonderful program, and, I understand that Haygood Methodist on East Rock Springs has a fine program. My three girls all went to pre-K at First Presbyterian and we were very happy with the program.
Thanks for your response, unfortunately we don't feel comfortable attending a church program.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbdd205 View Post
Thanks for your response, unfortunately we don't feel comfortable attending a church program.
There are often pre-K and/or daycare programs that are housed in Church facilities, but are entirely nonreligious. I wouldn't automatically disqualify programs because they are physically located on church property, but I've got no idea if that applies to the ones mentioned above.

Have you looked into Morningside Day Out? It's a half-day program nearby. It's located in a church, but I think it's one of those cases where it's not religiously affiliated.
https://www.morningsidedayout.com/

Old 02-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
There are often pre-K and/or daycare programs that are housed in Church facilities, but are entirely nonreligious. I wouldn't automatically disqualify programs because they are physically located on church property, but I've got no idea if that applies to the ones mentioned above.

Have you looked into Morningside Day Out? It's a half-day program nearby. It's located in a church, but I think it's one of those cases where it's not religiously affiliated.
https://www.morningsidedayout.com/
Thanks, haven't looked at Morningside Day Out, we just put in an offer on a house after visiting so I'm not familiar with much in the area, aside from what we were able to explore in the few days of our visit. I will check it out. We are coming from the west coast and don't really have private pre-k programs in church buildings in our area so I didn't realize that they could just be renting space.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:09 AM

219 posts, read 270,447 times
Congratulations on the move. Where'd you end up offering? Edmund Park? E Rock Springs?

Our little one is in Haygood, and has very little (if any) church influence and we have been really happy with the school, especially given we can walk there on nice mornings.

But for zero church influence I would look into the following. We have friends at each one of the below and can recommend through their referrals

The Goddard School
Primrose
Suzuki School - Ponce City Market

Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Cliff Valley School on Clairmont Rd. --15mins from Morningside via LaVista Rd.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Congratulations on the move. Where'd you end up offering? Edmund Park? E Rock Springs?

Our little one is in Haygood, and has very little (if any) church influence and we have been really happy with the school, especially given we can walk there on nice mornings.

But for zero church influence I would look into the following. We have friends at each one of the below and can recommend through their referrals

The Goddard School
Primrose
Suzuki School - Ponce City Market
Thanks! We went with East Rock Springs. The home in Edmund Park was really nice as well but the layout of the one on East Rock Springs was just better suited for us. Hopefully it all works out! Is Haygood also just renting a space in the church? We saw it was right next to the elementary school, I assume it feeds right into it? do you recommend those schools over Paideia? We popped into the Ponce City Market and it was awesome, loved all the little restaurant stalls but I can't imagine a school there! Where do the kids go out to play?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Cliff Valley School on Clyairmont Rd. --15mins from Morningside via LaVista Rd.
Thank you, I will check it out. What makes you like it better than Paideia?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 AM

Also, wanted to ask, how competitive is admission for these schools for a child that will be almost 4?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta