U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:36 PM

28,183 posts, read 24,757,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That funny considering the Bible says the opposite. Their litteally numerous verses in the Bible that says in form that only god can judge it's not in the place of man to do so, and you are your brother keeper.

Here's the truth man interprets the Bible and some times people do cruel things the Bible or religion didn't tell blank their society did, like burning people they believe are witches. Slavery was justified though the idea of what the curse of ham means. search up the curse of ham please...... people litteally tried to promte the idea that god cursed black people therefore its ok to be racist.

People need to stop trying to justify hate in the name of religion
Well, I tend to agree.

The basic difference from other religions when Jesus came along is that he taught that humankind is imperfect but that it doesn't matter. The good Lord loves you just as you are. Jesus taught forgiveness, kindness in the face of anger, and respect for the poor and the vulnerable. He had little use for the fat cats and the rule-preachers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 PM

9,586 posts, read 8,670,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I tend to agree.

The basic difference from other religions when Jesus came along is that he taught that humankind is imperfect but that it doesn't matter. The good Lord loves you just as you are. Jesus taught forgiveness, kindness in the face of anger, and respect for the poor and the vulnerable. He had little use for the fat cats and the rule-preachers.

Yes, arjay. I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 PM

13,164 posts, read 15,994,670 times
FROM A VERY GOOD FRIEND ... a well known conservative pundit, blogger, columnist, TV talking head, policy adviser, and campaign consultant.

"If this is what McKoon had presented in 2014 it would have passed, gotten the Gov's signature, and wouldn't have been a problem. This wouldn't do anything about who bakes cakes for whose wedding, or anything like that. But now it's all about PR for both sides, and there's no way to have a rational discussion about it. This won't get out of the Senate. And if it does, it won't get out of the House. AND, if I'm wrong about both of those, the Gov's office indicated it would get a veto again. So...pick another battle. This ain't it, but the capitol press corps will make it sound like it is because it generates clicks."

IN OTHER WORDS: Marty Harbin introduced this unnecessary and meaningless bill just to appease his very conservative Fayette and Coweta base. If he was sincere about it he wouldn't have waited until Day 22 of the session. But nobody else was going to do it and now he can say "I tried." With "crossover day" next Friday, it stands little to no chance of passing out of committee much less out of the Senate.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:50 AM

ON THE SUBJECT OF GAY MARRIAGE ... their are striking historical similarities between the current social outcry and state legislative backlash over the Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling and the 1967 decision declaring state laws against interracial marriage (miscegenation) unconstitutional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-m...es?wprov=sfsi1

All but 6 of the original 13 colonies had laws banning marriage between the races, which were codified in their state constitutions. At various points in time 42 states had laws against miscegenation. Most were still on the books in 1948, when the California Supreme Court became the first since reconstruction rule the law violated the 14th Amendment. Just like gay marriage rulings, over the next 20 years one state after another joined with California and threw out their miscegenation laws. But a 1958 Gallup poll showed that 94 percent of white Americans still disapproved of interracial marriage.

By the 1967 Supreme Court ruling, only 17 states -- all former slave states in the South -- still outlawed interracial marriage. AND YET ... it took South Carolina until 1998 and Alabama until 2000 to amend their constitutions to remove language prohibiting miscegenation. In the respective referendums, 62% of voters in South Carolina and 59% of voters in Alabama voted to make the amendments. In Alabama nearly 526,000 people voted against the amendment, including a majority of voters in some rural counties.

So yes ... change comes eventually ... it slowly.

Last edited by Newsboy; 02-24-2017 at 01:04 AM..

Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,306,853 times
I didnt vote for Gov Deal but he has been a great governor for our state! He will get my vote in the future if he ever decides to run for any other position

Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,651,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I didnt vote for Gov Deal but he has been a great governor for our state! He will get my vote in the future if he ever decides to run for any other position
A pragmatist with conservative street cred--about the best we could hope for.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:54 AM

589 posts, read 355,587 times
How can such a bill not backfire? So, you allow discrimination based on deeply held religious beliefs; doesn't that open up the floodgates for all religions to discriminate based on deeply held religious beliefs matter the intent. I don't see how they can contain it to Christians discriminating against gays and lesbians, which seems to be its main goal.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
How can such a bill not backfire? So, you allow discrimination based on deeply held religious beliefs; doesn't that open up the floodgates for all religions to discriminate based on deeply held religious beliefs matter the intent. I don't see how they can contain it to Christians discriminating against gays and lesbians, which seems to be its main goal.
You answered your own question ... but it's a moot point because this bill hsa no chance of passing.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:47 PM

361 posts, read 247,834 times
Is this the bill that if passed all these companies mentioned they'd leave the state of Georgia and wouldn't relocate to the state of Georgia I think last year? Movies wouldn't film in Georgia or would stop shooting the movie or movies in Georgia? etc

If you lose millions of dollars or more in revenue I don't think that serves the people of Georgia well at all; furthermore, if jobs leave the state of Georgia, and companies refuse to relocate to Georgia, because of the bill I'd think he'd veto the bill again. He's suppose to do what's in the best interests for the people who live in the State Of Georgia. This would not be in their best interests having this bill.

I remember hearing about this bill last year when I lived in Georgia. Businesses can refuse services based on religious beliefs.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 PM

5,433 posts, read 4,933,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Is this the bill that if passed all these companies mentioned they'd leave the state of Georgia and wouldn't relocate to the state of Georgia I think last year? Movies wouldn't film in Georgia or would stop shooting the movie or movies in Georgia? etc

If you lose millions of dollars or more in revenue I don't think that serves the people of Georgia well at all; furthermore, if jobs leave the state of Georgia, and companies refuse to relocate to Georgia, because of the bill I'd think he'd veto the bill again. He's suppose to do what's in the best interests for the people who live in the State Of Georgia. This would not be in their best interests having this bill.

I remember hearing about this bill last year when I lived in Georgia. Businesses can refuse services based on religious beliefs.
This is not the same exact highly-controversial religious liberty legislation that passed both chambers of the Georgia Legislature and was vetoed by Georgia Governor Nathan Deal last April.

The bill being pushed in the current session of the Georgia General Assembly is one that reportedly mimics the federal religious freedom legislation that was passed by Congress and signed into by President Bill Clinton in 1993 to address a situation concerning some Native Americans who were fired from their jobs after using peyote in a religious/tribal ceremony.

Even though this bill is different and more narrowly tailored to basically just repeat the language of the federal RFRA bill that was signed into law in 1993, the poor perception by much of the public and the business community of any such bill with the label of "religious liberty" on it still lingers, particularly after the near-fallout over the much broader Georgia bill and the total fallout over North Carolina's "Bathroom Bill" last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta