Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:07 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,661,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Too bad Memorial Dr (OTP) Can't go full BRT.
I personally think the whole stretch should be ART, at least, and agree that the OTP section should be examined for BRT.

MARTA has shown, though, that they are open to considering higher service levels than their CoA suggests, if the local government wants. The Northside Dr. BRT, after all, was not part of the CoA, and some routes recieved ART when they were suggested to be Frequent Service.

In addition, I think MARTA aught to give Buford a real hard try at BRT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
They should extend either the Blue or the Green line OTP along Memorial, to Stone Mountain (around Mountain St.) Via a stop along the way at GSU Perimeter.
If there is going to be any additional Heavy Rail considered, which is not entirely out of the question, I would personally prefer it be the old Tucker Line, or at least the beginnings of it.

I would also like to see some effort put into possibly extending the Green Line to Avondale, especially since the Clifton Corridor is planned to terminate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I personally think the whole stretch should be ART, at least, and agree that the OTP section should be examined for BRT.

MARTA has shown, though, that they are open to considering higher service levels than their CoA suggests, if the local government wants. The Northside Dr. BRT, after all, was not part of the CoA, and some routes recieved ART when they were suggested to be Frequent Service.

In addition, I think MARTA aught to give Buford a real hard try at BRT.

If there is going to be any additional Heavy Rail considered, which is not entirely out of the question, I would personally prefer it be the old Tucker Line, or at least the beginnings of it.

I would also like to see some effort put into possibly extending the Green Line to Avondale, especially since the Clifton Corridor is planned to terminate there.
The Green Line is under consideration to be extended to Stonecrest, using skip-stop operations between Decatur and Five Points. Or that was the last operational schedule I saw. Bankhead Station platform would be extended to 8-railcar lengths.
The Blue Line would terminate at Indian Creek.
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfile...%20Summary.pdf Page 3

Old 02-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The Green Line is under consideration to be extended to Stonecrest, using skip-stop operations between Decatur and Five Points. Or that was the last operational schedule I saw. Bankhead Station platform would be extended to 8-railcar lengths.
The Blue Line would terminate at Indian Creek.
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedfile...%20Summary.pdf Page 3
I'm aware of that plan, and don't have any particular issue with it. Mostly I meant extending the Green Line service for the near-term, until the new section is open. I will be interested in seeing if MARTA sticks to its original plan.

If a Tucker Line is considered, though, then the obvious shift would be to run the Blue or Green Line up it, with the other line continuing to Stonecrest.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM
bu2

23,874 posts, read 14,669,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That's hilarious. I'm sure after spending millions and millions of dollars in plant improvement over the past few years they're just on the verge of dropping DeKalb at the drop of a hat.
CHOA isn't leaving DeKalb, but they are leaving their Clifton location across the street from CDC. CDC has another site in Chamblee and could conceivably target new expansion for that location.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:20 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,075,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That's hilarious. I'm sure after spending millions and millions of dollars in plant improvement over the past few years they're just on the verge of dropping DeKalb at the drop of a hat.
fieldm was presumably referring to the CDC and Emory area petitioning to be annexed by the City of Atlanta. They wouldn't be physically leaving DeKalb County, but would no longer be within the unincorporated portion of the county.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,720,252 times
State legislature killed any hope of MARTA expansion in DeKalb County.
A Georgia Senate committee Tuesday rejected what could have been the last attempt in the General Assembly this year to expand MARTA transit service.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:01 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,075,487 times
Quote:
Fixed link

Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 AM

23,334 posts, read 43,808,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
CHOA isn't leaving DeKalb, but they are leaving their Clifton location across the street from CDC. CDC has another site in Chamblee and could conceivably target new expansion for that location.
No doubt, but I was responding to this:

"Looks like they are trying to give the CDC/Emory a reason to stay in Dekalb imo"

Which suggests that without the introduction of MARTA rail these two institutions would abandon DeKalb altogether.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 AM

23,334 posts, read 43,808,978 times
Quote:
Memo to Fran Millar: You are a civil servant and not some omniscient God that knows the hearts and minds of all citizens of DeKalb County and the City of Atlanta.

"While the DeKalb MARTA tax bill enjoyed the backing of Democrats in the county's Senate delegation, Sen. Fran Millar, the delegation's lone Republican, objected that passing the half-penny tax for MARTA – coupled with a penny sales tax bill the full Senate passed for DeKalb on Monday – would have driven the county's sales tax too high.

The penny sales tax increase, which would go to road and bridge improvements and public safety, combined with the half-penny MARTA tax hike, would have increased DeKalb's sales tax to 8.5 percent.

"How much can people take?" Millar asked. "I don't want [DeKalb] to be where the city of Atlanta is."

But the MARTA tax bill's supporters argued the decision on how high the sales tax should go in DeKalb ought to be left to the county's voters."

Per the bolded: Damn right.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:51 AM

That is not a good reason to not have the referendum. There's no way to tell 100% for sure that either tax would be approved, and so rejecting them on the principle of 'making the sales tax rate too high' (though a ridiculous reason for many reasons) is calling the outcome of the referendum before voters have even had a chance.

The Legislative session is not done until late March. There is not a LOT of time, but there is *still* time. We all should remember how the Atlanta MARTA vote came through in the last minute last year. Perhaps, with enough pressure, such a thing could happen again this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta