Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,080,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNANAME View Post
I'm new to this site as well as to the city. I just came down to Atlanta (Decatur) from NY and I've noticed how spread out everything is. I'm wondering how people meet each other with all the driving and distance between everything. I'm a 28 year old single male and would love to network and meet people but I'm having trouble figuring out how things are done in the city.

It could be me though because I'm not really into going to the clubs every weekend neither.

Oh I also want to mention that I'm heterosexual because I've also heard there is a big homosexual population here. Not my thing...

There is also a big homesexual population in Nyc also unless you live outside NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM

369 posts, read 372,220 times
Well, it's funny this came in on a search, because I plan to move to Decatur to go to school at the Gupton-Jones college sometime in November. I'm really afraid because I'm a country boy and not used to traveling and learning my way around such a big city and not used to being out on my own. How could I network easily and meet people that can help me learn my way around? I also need to know about finding housing and employment before I get there. I'm afraid.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 PM

225 posts, read 712,072 times
1) Pick up a copy of Creative Loafing

2) Find a club or activity that interests you. Sports are a great fun way to meet people if you're into it. Maybe church or politics. Whatevs.

3) Join and enjoy meeting people that have the same interests as you.

4) Rinse and repeat.

On a serious note, I joined an outdoors club, and through that I met a bunch of folks who had the same interests as me. It was a really great way to meet all types people outside of work or my neighbors.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:40 PM

225 posts, read 583,753 times
If you are religious in any way, join a religious organization. Church, synagogue, mosque.. etc.
If you are into any form of sports, join some of the rec leagues.
Depending on where you work, if there are any work-related events, go to them and make some friends... those friends will lead you to other friends, etc....

Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 AM

292 posts, read 633,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNANAME View Post
I'm new to this site as well as to the city. I just came down to Atlanta (Decatur) from NY and I've noticed how spread out everything is. I'm wondering how people meet each other with all the driving and distance between everything. I'm a 28 year old single male and would love to network and meet people but I'm having trouble figuring out how things are done in the city.

It could be me though because I'm not really into going to the clubs every weekend neither.

Oh I also want to mention that I'm heterosexual because I've also heard there is a big homosexual population here. Not my thing...
I have heard Northpoint church is a good place to meet people and they cater to people from different religious backgrounds as well.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 62,884 times
Try meetups.com They have groups for almost every interest - singles groups, social and travel groups, single parents, etc. Good luck.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
hi all! i am new to the metroAtlanta area too, i found this site from a google search. i was hoping to meet some people that i could occasionally mingle with to network and have some general fun. strictly platonic, as i am married, BUT BORED OUT OF MY CRANIUM!! anyone else out there interested in making some connections?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 27,584 times
it depends what you like to do.....Clubbng is more for younger folks here...I enjoy lounges and Happy Hour during the week...you meet more business professionals also.A great way to find out what is going on is to check out " Atlanta Metromix " online....also try the "Thrill list " these two sites direct me to whats happening around town

Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,112,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemominga View Post
Try meetup.com They have groups for almost every interest - singles groups, social and travel groups, single parents, etc. Good luck.
Seconded (and typo fixed). My social life exploded within months of my actively using meetup.com.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,062 times
co-ed sports (softball) are a great way to meet people here in Atlanta. It is how I met all of my friends when I moved here. Atlanta has a couple of good co-ed leagues but I would recommend Ultimate Sports. The league is laid back and even fun for beginning softball players. The girls that run the leauge are super nice. Check them out [url=http://www.usatlanta.com]Home | Ultimate Sports of Atlanta[/url] . Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta