Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:39 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times

Advertisements

"ATLANTA – Mayor Kasim Reed announced today that the Atlanta City Studio, the City’s first pop-up design laboratory focused on shaping the future of city neighborhoods, will relocate to Cascade Heights in April. The studio, which has been located at Ponce City Market since its doors opened in May 2016, will be located at 2311Cascade Road in Southwest Atlanta.

“We are excited to move the Atlanta City Studio to Cascade Heights and engage with residents in Southwest Atlanta,” said Mayor Reed. “The Atlanta City Studio at Ponce City Market has served as an invaluable tool for City of Atlanta planners to gather innovative ideas from local residents, visitors and design professionals. Relocating the studio allows residents in another quadrant to work directly with our city planners to make Atlanta the best possible place to live, work and play.”

The studio is comprised of rotating exhibits that highlight Atlanta neighborhoods and urban design concepts, and is staffed by City planners, architects and transportation professionals. The space is used to host lectures, book talks, film series, open forums, urban art presentations and other neighborhood and design components.

“To promote high quality, sustainable and equitable growth and development in Atlanta, the people who live in the City must be a part of every planning aspect conducted by the Department of Planning and Community Development,” said Commissioner Tim Keane... “

Full Story: City of Atlanta, GA : Press Releases : Mayor Kasim Reed and Department of Planning and Community Development Announce New Location for the Atlanta City Studio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 02:09 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I really wish we could have a set of studios spread across the city, and not just the one that moves around.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Do you think Gravel and Keane will be riding their bikes to this temporary location?

Old 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you think Gravel and Keane will be riding their bikes to this temporary location?
Possibly considering there are bike lanes along Cascade and various other routes between City Hall and this location in SW...

Old 03-07-2017, 05:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times
Welp, I should probably go check it out before it moves. What is the experience like, are they asking you questions like a survey or do you just look around? How much time should I give it?

Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Welp, I should probably go check it out before it moves. What is the experience like, are they asking you questions like a survey or do you just look around? How much time should I give it?
They have a few things there. Lots of posters about what the city is designing around, introducing plans, and such. They have a small pile of Atlanta history and city planning books to look at. Some coloring things for kids. There are also places where you can write down idea on post-it notes and put them up under various topics. There're also large packets where you can write down answers to the question on the front of the package, usually prompting for some sort idea to fix / improve various things.

Sometimes you can chat with the planners there, but keep in mind that they're actively working on things. If you have something specific you need to talk about, though, they'll take a moment to chat with you.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the description, sounds like an easy drop in.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They certainly could, especially if they biked to a MARTA station and caught one of the many bus routes that serve the area.

It'd be nice if they could stick around in PCM; it's good to have people who visit that development see what the city's doing. But it's better to have the city design staff hear from a new constituency. The area they're moving to is interesting, too; the city has made some public infrastructure investments, but the private development suffers from really poor design. I hope having them work there for a while has results on the surrounding area.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:58 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times
New Atlanta City Studio opens in Cascade Heights - seeks public engagement - SaportaReport

Old 05-02-2017, 08:25 AM

Welp, I stupidly missed my opportunity to visit when it was just downstairs. Now I'm gonna have to go across the city visit. Good job me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: