Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
And FWIW, I know a lot of people in Austin that are quickly becoming disillusioned with what SXSW has become (and the city in general).
I have heard that, too. I rmember going to SXSW in the days when it was primarily a showcase for music and media. You had to sign up in advance and could only attend most events if you had a badge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:36 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
And FWIW, I know a lot of people in Austin that are quickly becoming disillusioned with what SXSW has become (and the city in general).
This is a fact. I have an old friend (Atlanta native) that 'discovered' Austin when he took a job there 30+ years ago. He fell in love with the place and even held on to his house when he took jobs elsewhere. He was what I would refer to as one of the 'first wave' of Austin transplants.
Imagine my surprise when he told me a couple of years ago that he and his wife were pulling up stakes and relocating out of Austin. I was sure he was a lifer, but he, like so many of his peers, was disillusioned by the direction things had taken there. He felt that in midst of all of its' growth and success it had lost its' authenticity. I suppose this is a scenario that plays itself out in a lot of the 'it' cities. Off went my friend in search of another undiscovered gem.
Where did they land? Vicksburg, MS, believe it or not.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This is a fact. I have an old friend (Atlanta native) that 'discovered' Austin when he took a job there 30+ years ago. He fell in love with the place and even held on to his house when he took jobs elsewhere. He was what I would refer to as one of the 'first wave' of Austin transplants.
Imagine my surprise when he told me a couple of years ago that he and his wife were pulling up stakes and relocating out of Austin. I was sure he was a lifer, but he, like so many of his peers, was disillusioned by the direction things had taken there. He felt that in midst of all of its' growth and success it had lost its' authenticity. I suppose this is a scenario that plays itself out in a lot of the 'it' cities. Off went my friend in search of another undiscovered gem.
Where did they land? Vicksburg, MS, believe it or not.
Yep a booming economy will do that to you. Soon Austin will be maybe slightly quirkier DFW and Houston.
Wow Vicksburg is definitely a dark horse in less popular cities. Though Mississippi does have some surprisingly decent small towns. Natchez is another one that I've heard about people moving to. And of course Oxford is Mississippi's quintessential college town.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Always about race isn't it?

Maybe if Atlanta had a party/entertainment district and those attending stuck to that area vs. disrupting the entire city by instead hanging out in business/residential areas and bringing the city to a screeching halt, things may have been different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a winner.
nope

I'm thinking your missing the point,

The city nor sponsors wanted to step in help organize Freaknik.

Which is why it got out of control

If this was white kids sponsors and the city would had step in.

With 200k people coming larger than Houston recent superbowl it was way too large for the city not to take serious to step in, help organize and plan.

Also Atlanta has history of breaking up entertainment districts, this require proper zoning.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM

Arjay can you link the thread of Atlanta leaders visiting Austin to learn how to attract young professionals.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Arjay can you link the thread of Atlanta leaders visiting Austin to learn how to attract young professionals.
chiatldal, I can't find a thread on it but I do know the Chamber of Commerce set up a mission at SXSW to try to attract Millennials to the the ATL.

Why and How Atlanta Took Over Austin for SXSW 2016 - Hire Profile | Hire Profile

In all fairness, SXSW and Freaknik were very different events. SXSW developed as a music and media showcase whereas Freaknik was a party-in-the-streets type of affair.

As mentioned above, if somebody wanted to set up an event like SXSW in Atlanta, it could no doubt be done.
I have several times wondered why no one has given it a shot.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks... courtesy of Arjay

ATL to go after Millennials as SXSW

Quote:
The millennial generation now makes up the largest segment of the nation's workforce.

So, to attract them to Atlanta, the Chamber of Commerce is going all out: renting a house in Austin, Texas, for the SXSW festival next month to exhibit all things Atlanta.

Kate Atwood heads up the Chamber's ChooseATL initiative, whose sole purpose is to attract millennials to Atlanta.

More...Atlanta Metro Chamber To Woo Millennials At SXSW | WABE 90.1 FM
Given the context hilarious...........

Austin appeal it's has entertainment for it young professional. This makes more people want to come, So now have a growing educated population that want to stay

While Atlanta itself is one most important education centers in the US. Atlanta has trouble keeping them

Where Young College Graduates Are Choosing to Live | NY Times

Atlanta No. 5 for people leaving the fastest | Atlanta bizjournals

Atlanta Is Dying: Young, Smart People Are Fleeing Georgia’s Capital City

For young college grads, why is metro Atlanta no longer the draw it used to be? - Atlanta Magazine

We often get in these abstract debates over desirability... and always run into people saying Atlanta isn't desirable people just move to Atlanta because it's cheap. When actually Atlanta was the Austin/portland to younger blacks in the 90's.

My point was organically 200k people wanted to visit Atlanta.... that's a significant high number. That doesn't come easily. it's Superbowl numbers. Instead of Organize it and own it. The city ignore it and shun it. Now the region has trouble keeping the younger educated.

The fact that leaders to took a trip to Austin is hilarious. Nashville also is doing better attracting the younger educated.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
We often get in these abstract debates over desirability... and always run into people saying Atlanta isn't desirable people just move to Atlanta because it's cheap. When actually Atlanta was the Austin/portland to younger blacks in the 90's.

My point was organically 200k people wanted to visit Atlanta.... that's a significant high number. That doesn't come easily. it's Superbowl numbers. Instead of Organize it and own it. The city ignore it and shun it. Now the region has trouble keeping the younger educated.

The fact that leaders to took a trip to Austin is hilarious. Nashville also is doing better attracting the younger educated.
chitatldal, what's your take on why the city didn't embrace Freaknik and try to nurture and shape it in more productive ways?

Is it just that the city's elected officials are afraid of the business community?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
chiatldal, I can't find a thread on it but I do know the Chamber of Commerce set up a mission at SXSW to try to attract Millennials to the the ATL.

Why and How Atlanta Took Over Austin for SXSW 2016 - Hire Profile | Hire Profile

In all fairness, SXSW and Freaknik were very different events. SXSW developed as a music and media showcase whereas Freaknik was a party-in-the-streets type of affair.

As mentioned above, if somebody wanted to set up an event like SXSW in Atlanta, it could no doubt be done.
I have several times wondered why no one has given it a shot.
6th street in Austin is always "a party-in-the-streets type of affair."

Remember Freaknik was started by the collages students there was a film fest, and there was live shows with both indies and multi platinum artists.

You have click on the link to watch it, As Bun B from stated in the 90's cameras were huge and pricey so there isn't much footage of freaknik shows. but yes freaknik did have shows. Notorious BIG, Outkast and dungeon family, Luke and the 2 live crew. adina howard and many other platinum artists performed during freaknik.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTODO_B43E

Many underground soon to be huge artists like Trina from Miami was going.

I think Atlanta can organize a south by SXSW like event. but attracting 200k is a difficult thing and I feel Atlanta didn't seize the opportunity when it happen organically.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
6th street in Austin is always "a party-in-the-streets type of affair."
Well, I've been to SXSW a couple of times and there weren't people running from car to car, riding on the hood, shutting down major roads, etc. If Freaknik had been less disruptive, I don't think there would have been much objection.

Again, it might be a different story today, since we potentially have more venues for a big public gathering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta