U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2017, 10:24 PM
 
12,904 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Reputation: 4076

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yep. Can you say Cathy Woolard? Anyway, a dumbass move IMO.
Yes. Extremely dumb and short-sighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 AM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
Reputation: 5394
Meh. She won't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 07:58 AM
 
4,013 posts, read 2,289,155 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
She didn't exactly do that unilaterally.
She did it with Shirley Franklin sure but she was apart of the system. There were other ways to get rid of the issues of Buckhead besides shutting the city down early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Meh. She won't win.
Eight years ago she came within a few hundred votes of doing so in the runoff after getting a plurality in the first election. I definitely wouldn't count her out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 08:18 AM
 
991 posts, read 516,231 times
Reputation: 571
Can Atlanta elect a white mayor?. Because a certain faction will make it all about race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 AM
 
28,109 posts, read 24,639,595 times
Reputation: 9523
I don't know why but I can't see 3 am bar closing hours as that big of a deal.

Woolard didn't even vote on the ordinance.

http://citycouncil.atlantaga.gov/200...01/03O1702.pdf

Neither Reed nor the council has made an issue of this. In 2011 the council reconsidered extending bar hours back to 4 am and it was again voted down 9-1. The only council member who supported it was Ivory Lee Young.

Atlanta City Council votes against extending bar hours - SaportaReport

Despite that the city has continued to tick along pretty well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 AM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
4,995 posts, read 3,475,762 times
Reputation: 2647
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Can Atlanta elect a white mayor?. Because a certain faction will make it all about race.
Yes to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Can Atlanta elect a white mayor?. Because a certain faction will make it all about race.
I think the Reed-Norwood mayoral race was a clear indication that this "faction" continues to diminish as the years pass.
Refer to Gulch's post #14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 AM
 
985 posts, read 1,430,093 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think the Reed-Norwood mayoral race was a clear indication that this "faction" continues to diminish as the years pass.
Refer to Gulch's post #14.
I agree to a certain extent. I do believe that Mary Norwood success in the last election was due to the black community taking issue with Shirley Franklin and her incompetence. Reed has his issues, but he is no Shirley Franklin or Bill Campbell.

I actually voted for Norwood in the General Election, because she attended my HOA meeting as a guest. I changed my vote during the run off, because I personally met Reed. In hindsight, I definitely think I made the right decision. Mary is a decent candidate and isn't a Republican most liberals make her out to be, but she does represents the old guard of the democratic party and they are out of favor at the moment (hopefully forever).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2017, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,895 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Reputation: 12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I agree to a certain extent. I do believe that Mary Norwood success in the last election was due to the black community taking issue with Shirley Franklin and her incompetence. Reed has his issues, but he is no Shirley Franklin or Bill Campbell.

I actually voted for Norwood in the General Election, because she attended my HOA meeting as a guest. I changed my vote during the run off, because I personally met Reed. In hindsight, I definitely think I made the right decision. Mary is a decent candidate and isn't a Republican most liberals make her out to be, but she does represents the old guard of the democratic party and they are out of favor at the moment (hopefully forever).
What is interesting to me about your story is that race apparently played no hand in your decision making in that election. I really believe that is becoming the prevailing mindset with regard to choosing Atlanta's leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top