U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM

693 posts, read 260,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Can Atlanta elect a white mayor?. Because a certain faction will make it all about race.

Yes and I expect this election to be very divisive and race will be made to be a factor. The demographics of the city are much more diverse than they were 8 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,374,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I really believe that is becoming the prevailing mindset with regard to choosing Atlanta's leadership.
I hope so, but I have low expectations for those hopes.

I am very concerned that a white mayor is going to lead to some significant level of unrest, especially as things like the Westside Beltline comes online. These projects and trends that have been going on for a while will be pinned on her unfairly. She will come to represent gentrification and I think her as mayor will lead to a larger sense of divide for some.

The above will happen, the question is how large and loud that group will be.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:55 PM

1,268 posts, read 628,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I hope so, but I have low expectations for those hopes.

I am very concerned that a white mayor is going to lead to some significant level of unrest, especially as things like the Westside Beltline comes online. These projects and trends that have been going on for a while will be pinned on her unfairly. She will come to represent gentrification and I think her as mayor will lead to a larger sense of divide for some.

The above will happen, the question is how large and loud that group will be.
That's not a good reason to vote against someone, though. Norwood has proven leadership ability and good ideas. Just as it would be wrong to vote against a black candidate for their race, it is just as racist to go against Norwood for being white. Just because we haven't had a white mayor in a long time doesn't mean we shouldn't give her a chance. We never had a black president either, yet we gave Obama a chance and he turned out to be a wonderful president. Let's see what Norwood does with our city, and leave her race out of it.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM

28,107 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Norwood would probably be a good mayor. Nobody works harder at listening to the citizens and she doesn't seem to have a partisan agenda. She's smart and I've never heard any claims of corruption or cronyism.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,252,650 times
As to Norwood or ANY Mayoral candidate of ANY ethnic group (notice I said ethnic group and race is a human invention; there is only one race: the human race) I quote from Martin Luther King, Jr's famous speech, "Judge not on the color of a persons skin, but on the content of their character." I agree with Arjay57, Mrs. Norwood DOES seem to have her constituency in her mind AND her heart. This has been shown in sectors throughout the city, even on the southwest side where she had a VERY strong showing in the general election, but not necessarily the run-off. She has really seemed to be an outspoken advocate for citizens in the east/ southeast sides of town with the recent crime spurts, too. Those neighborhoods really represent a large cross sections of people. Perhaps she is the "people's candidate". I don't know for sure, I just think that the City of Atlanta really deserves a Mayor who wants to represent AND serve EVERYBODY. It that candidate Mary Norwood? Not sure, but she really appears to have the best interests of her citywide constituency at heart. Just my observations; y'all know that hailing from lovely Clayton County I "have no do in this hunt".

Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM

31 posts, read 14,247 times
I thought to respond to this because of a recent heated conversation I had with some gentlemen in in Milton.While it goes without saying that the mayors of Atlanta have done great,extraordinary jobs for Atlanta. A black Mayor did make Atlanta what it was today on a worldwide scale by bringing the Olympics to the city as well as improving the airport to become the busiest among other things.As a man whose well connected in the elite business and political world I must say the election of Norwood would bring about some definite changes good and bad. Whomever said this isn't about race is lying and know they are. If it was up to the elite which I am very familiar with none of the African American candidates would be elected they would always vote white. Trump was a great example of how the elite doesnt care what progress we have made in this country we will always vote for white men. I mean Hillary was a horrible candidate as well.For GOD's sake we have managed to allow one of the most racist people be elected as our Attorney General and when I see African Americans siding with him I just cringe because I know the agenda is working. His views have not changed. Trust me I know what I'm talking about.. In my opinion I feel like Atlanta MAY be going backwards we have had 100 white mayors to 5 Black mayors and within those years Atlanta has experinced some great progress. Atlanta is doing a whole lot better than most American cities. I think we need a white mayor who will be well rounded with everyone. Someone who truly knows the African American struggle and understands that racism is real and still exists. Someone who does for all but doesnt forget the contributions of African Americans. I think us as white people really owe African Americans ALOT for what we have done to them. Sadly, not many will agree with me because we like to dismiss that racism is real and like to harass African Americans by saying things like ohhhhhh here goes the race thing(Something I use to say) or slavery was over years ago get over it but the fact of the matter is they will NEVER get over the effects of slavery and quite frankly shouldnt have to.How can we tell a human being to get over a genocide of their generations who were raped,killed,tortured,had their identity erased to just get over it. Our agenda has worked because we stole their religion and switched it up and represented it in a different way and tell them to love and accept everyone but yet we don't have to.Oh and if any African American shows any pride in their identity they're racist or terrorist. You actually learn alot from traveling the world. The world knows much more about the secrets of the elite than the average american does..

Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosen View Post
I thought to respond to this because of a recent heated conversation I had with some gentlemen in in Milton.While it goes without saying that the mayors of Atlanta have done great,extraordinary jobs for Atlanta. A black Mayor did make Atlanta what it was today on a worldwide scale by bringing the Olympics to the city as well as improving the airport to become the busiest among other things.As a man whose well connected in the elite business and political world I must say the election of Norwood would bring about some definite changes good and bad. Whomever said this isn't about race is lying and know they are. If it was up to the elite which I am very familiar with none of the African American candidates would be elected they would always vote white. Trump was a great example of how the elite doesnt care what progress we have made in this country we will always vote for white men. I mean Hillary was a horrible candidate as well.For GOD's sake we have managed to allow one of the most racist people be elected as our Attorney General and when I see African Americans siding with him I just cringe because I know the agenda is working. His views have not changed. Trust me I know what I'm talking about.. In my opinion I feel like Atlanta MAY be going backwards we have had 100 white mayors to 5 Black mayors and within those years Atlanta has experinced some great progress. Atlanta is doing a whole lot better than most American cities. I think we need a white mayor who will be well rounded with everyone. Someone who truly knows the African American struggle and understands that racism is real and still exists. Someone who does for all but doesnt forget the contributions of African Americans. I think us as white people really owe African Americans ALOT for what we have done to them. Sadly, not many will agree with me because we like to dismiss that racism is real and like to harass African Americans by saying things like ohhhhhh here goes the race thing(Something I use to say) or slavery was over years ago get over it but the fact of the matter is they will NEVER get over the effects of slavery and quite frankly shouldnt have to.How can we tell a human being to get over a genocide of their generations who were raped,killed,tortured,had their identity erased to just get over it. Our agenda has worked because we stole their religion and switched it up and represented it in a different way and tell them to love and accept everyone but yet we don't have to.Oh and if any African American shows any pride in their identity they're racist or terrorist. You actually learn alot from traveling the world. The world knows much more about the secrets of the elite than the average american does..
The "Enter" key and paragraphs are your friend, not your enemy.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,428,894 times
Yawn. Yet another thread of people bringing up race as it relates to Atlanta from people who don't even live in the city and won't even be voting in the mayoral race anyway. Norwood was an large city council rep for years. That means the WHOLE city voted for her. Yes she's white but she has always been a fixture ALL over the city. Whenever people bring up Norwood and act like there is some conspiracy that led to her losing the last election clearly have no idea what their taking about and just are throwing s*** against the wall. I used to work for COA and Norwood was and is liked/respected by people of all races. She's always been known for being around town at NPU meetings, not just those in Buckhead. Norwood, Cleta Winslow and Lance-Bottoms are always in the community and folks remember that type of stuff. And Norwood in particular has been going around NW,SW,SE and NE ATL for the last 2 decades. She's not just in Buckhead sitting in voters living rooms. She lost that election because she ran up against someone who ran a better campaign. Like Kasim or not but his contacts at the State Cap put him over the top. It damn sure wasn't the "Cascade Mafia", trust me when I say a bunch of them had issues with him too because they saw him as cozying up to Nathan Deal too much. The gay community's political power is often overlooked in that argument by people who just want to zero in on the Black community as well. So many factors at play in the last election, but per usual, folks who are intellectually lazy want to blame it on the Black people.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 AM

7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
Norwood's problem isn't that she is White, it's that (valid or not) she as seen as the conservative candidate. This cycle will not be good for a conservative candidate.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:09 AM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosen View Post
While it goes without saying that the mayors of Atlanta have done great,extraordinary jobs for Atlanta.
You lost me right there. Unless, of course, you're referring to extraordinary screw jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or