U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 AM
 
717 posts, read 273,387 times
Reputation: 455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Norwood's problem isn't that she is White, it's that (valid or not) she as seen as the conservative candidate. This cycle will not be good for a conservative candidate.

I don't think that really matters. There are going to be a lot of other factors like the huge shift in demographics from the last election 8 years ago, which candidate is going to be the most believable/has the best plan for the hot button topics like Crime, The Beltline, Education, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
22,308 posts, read 16,341,517 times
Reputation: 4953
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I don't think that really matters. There are going to be a lot of other factors like the huge shift in demographics from the last election 8 years ago, which candidate is going to be the most believable/has the best plan for the hot button topics like Crime, The Beltline, Education, etc.
Education is tough to ask a mayor and city council candidates, as APS is a separate entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,215 posts, read 33,202,376 times
Reputation: 12879
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Norwood's problem isn't that she is White, it's that (valid or not) she as seen as the conservative candidate. This cycle will not be good for a conservative candidate.
True that she seems to have the backing of the country club crowd, but I also think her base of support reaches well beyond that. She also seems to have the gay community behind her, for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,458 posts, read 1,443,967 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Norwood's problem isn't that she is White, it's that (valid or not) she as seen as the conservative candidate. This cycle will not be good for a conservative candidate.
Exactly. People perceived her as a Republican, and this is a Dems city. I think her accent did her in last time, she wasn't born in Atlanta (Augusta I think?) so she kinda got that old southern tea lady thing going on when she talks. Right or wrong it made a lot of people put her into that box. But they were wrong though and usually the people who thought that weren't really in tune with city politics anyway. She's actually pretty down to earth for a Buckhead Betty. Not sure if I'll vote for her but I think she's going to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 11:29 AM
 
717 posts, read 273,387 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Education is tough to ask a mayor and city council candidates, as APS is a separate entity.
Sure is important to Kasim Reed for some strange reason and it is something he discussed an awful lot during both of his campaigns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,215 posts, read 33,202,376 times
Reputation: 12879
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Exactly. People perceived her as a Republican, and this is a Dems city. I think her accent did her in last time, she wasn't born in Atlanta (Augusta I think?) so she kinda got that old southern tea lady thing going on when she talks. Right or wrong it made a lot of people put her into that box. But they were wrong though and usually the people who thought that weren't really in tune with city politics anyway. She's actually pretty down to earth for a Buckhead Betty. Not sure if I'll vote for her but I think she's going to win.
Whatever party affiliation Norwood has or has had appears to be pretty nebulous, and will likely continue to be. Disclosure, of course, isn't required by a mayoral candidate; a good thing, I think, as it forces voters to dig a little deeper and consider their record issue by issue.

"Norwood, who says she is an Independent, has been labeled a Republican for some time in Atlanta’s political circles, due mostly to her past voting habits favoring Republican candidates and attendance at a GOP convention."

https://thegavoice.com/atlanta-gay-r...ng-republican/

"Municipal races are nonpartisan but that hasn't stopped past opponents from trying to questioning Norwood's political affiliation. In 2009, when asked why she had voted for Republican candidates and attended state GOP conventions, Norwood made one of the best analogies we've ever heard. In 2013, the Democratic Party of Georgia, in an unusual move, jumped into the nonpartisan race with a mailer accusing Norwood of "trying to hide her Republican record." Norwood's standard refrain was that she wasn't red or blue, but purple. She intended to run as an independent for Fulton chairman."

Mary Norwood is running for mayor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 12:04 PM
 
1,275 posts, read 647,836 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Whatever party affiliation Norwood has or has had appears to be pretty nebulous, and will likely continue to be. Disclosure, of course, isn't required by a mayoral candidate; a good thing, I think, as it forces voters to dig a little deeper and consider their record issue by issue.

"Norwood, who says she is an Independent, has been labeled a Republican for some time in Atlanta’s political circles, due mostly to her past voting habits favoring Republican candidates and attendance at a GOP convention."

https://thegavoice.com/atlanta-gay-r...ng-republican/

"Municipal races are nonpartisan but that hasn't stopped past opponents from trying to questioning Norwood's political affiliation. In 2009, when asked why she had voted for Republican candidates and attended state GOP conventions, Norwood made one of the best analogies we've ever heard. In 2013, the Democratic Party of Georgia, in an unusual move, jumped into the nonpartisan race with a mailer accusing Norwood of "trying to hide her Republican record." Norwood's standard refrain was that she wasn't red or blue, but purple. She intended to run as an independent for Fulton chairman."

Mary Norwood is running for mayor
I support her for now, but if I find out she voted from Trump I'll actively campaign against her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,215 posts, read 33,202,376 times
Reputation: 12879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I support her for now, but if I find out she voted from Trump I'll actively campaign against her.
It's highly unlikely you ever will know.
A vote is cast in confidence, and she is under no obligation to disclose.
To date, even my husband and I have not revealed to each other how we voted in the last election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 12:43 PM
 
1,275 posts, read 647,836 times
Reputation: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's highly unlikely you ever will know.
A vote is cast in confidence, and she is under no obligation to disclose.
To date, even my husband and I have not revealed to each other how we voted in the last election.
It may be asked of her at some point. If she refuses to answer we probably know the answer.

I really like Mary, but I would question her judgement and leadership if she thought that ***** grabbing, inexperienced idiot was fit to be president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,243 posts, read 4,416,157 times
Reputation: 2723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
That's not a good reason to vote against someone, though. Norwood has proven leadership ability and good ideas. Just as it would be wrong to vote against a black candidate for their race, it is just as racist to go against Norwood for being white. Just because we haven't had a white mayor in a long time doesn't mean we shouldn't give her a chance. We never had a black president either, yet we gave Obama a chance and he turned out to be a wonderful president. Let's see what Norwood does with our city, and leave her race out of it.
I'm not talking about me though, just an inevitable group of citizens/voters. There most def is a subset of voters that will vote with race in mind. BTW, I am not implying that all black voters will think this way, that's dumb. Just that this group of voters exist and I think the success of the Norwood will hinge on how influential this group is.

Honestly, my concern isn't regarding the election rather how people are going to react to her as things happen during her term. Gentrification and displacement will likely speed up due to already in progress projects. I think the odds are high that she will become a poster child for the negative effects of gentrification for many. Her country club look isn't going to help, she just looks rich. I can see how this could lead folks to believe that their elected representatives don't represent them and even are working against them. Do you think Mary will be able to have a frank conversation with the less reasonable side of BLM as Reed did in that town hall without intense pushback? Hell no.

None of this is a good reason to vote against Norwood or any candidate. But it will be a factor in her candidacy/term unfortunately and it is something I am concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top