Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 08:11 AM

475 posts, read 684,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
White people couldn't care less if the next mayor is black.
Ah, the beauty of being in a position to "not care less."

That's a serious stretch, and I've heard plenty of 'coded' statements from the Norwood campaign. As another poster stated, they are all in the same game. The true colors will come out over the next several weeks, pun intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times
Runoff will be interesting. Adding up the likely 2nd choice for each candidate who didn't win puts Norwood and Bottoms both right at around 50 percent. I think it will be another nailbiter.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Ah, the beauty of being in a position to "not care less."

That's a serious stretch, and I've heard plenty of 'coded' statements from the Norwood campaign. As another poster stated, they are all in the same game. The true colors will come out over the next several weeks, pun intended.

You are late to the party because this has been going on since the beginning of summer. And it isn't the white candidates that are participating in it. To bring it into current times there is absolutely collusion by many individuals in a position of power in the city to make sure the next mayor is black. Can't say that about the white candidates. Reed is making a fool of himself trying to get Bottoms elected and it makes one wonder why he is going to such lengths considering he has done an excellent job as mayor.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
You are late to the party because this has been going on since the beginning of summer. And it isn't the white candidates that are participating in it. To bring it into current times there is absolutely collusion by many individuals in a position of power in the city to make sure the next mayor is black. Can't say that about the white candidates. Reed is making a fool of himself trying to get Bottoms elected and it makes one wonder why he is going to such lengths considering he has done an excellent job as mayor.
I interpret Reed's actions more to get an ally as mayor, not so much someone Black. He needs that to feed his giant ego, getting a hand-picked successor. It could also help him in future runs for Senator or Governor.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
"True" colors - a more in-your-face display of the campaign and political tactics than we have seen in what was essentially an extended primary. It's baffling to me that you are so hell-bent on your 'fact' that not a single white person cares if the next mayor is white or black, lol, in GEORGIA. The absoluteness of your statement makes everything else you type hard to even consider. I'm sure you have a valid position buried somewhere in the rhetoric though.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
"True" colors - a more in-your-face display of the campaign and political tactics than we have seen in what was essentially an extended primary. It's baffling to me that you are so hell-bent on your 'fact' that not a single white person cares if the next mayor is white or black, lol, in GEORGIA. The absoluteness of your statement makes everything else you type hard to even consider. I'm sure you have a valid position buried somewhere in the rhetoric though.

The city of Atlanta is very different than the rest of the state. Do you even live in the city with a statement like that? Where are the signs saying to vote the white slate? Where are the signs about 'our' neighborhoods from Aman, Woolard, and Norwood? Where were Aman, Norwood, or Woolard trying to paint the other candidates as Republicans? It didn't happen. And it won't happen. But, it will continue to happen from the other side. This idea that the world is going to end if Atlanta were to somehow elect a white mayor is pitiful. It is also in its own way racist.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
The city of Atlanta is very different than the rest of the state. Do you even live in the city with a statement like that? Where are the signs saying to vote the white slate? Where are the signs about 'our' neighborhoods from Aman, Woolard, and Norwood? Where were Aman, Norwood, or Woolard trying to paint the other candidates as Republicans? It didn't happen. And it won't happen. But, it will continue to happen from the other side. This idea that the world is going to end if Atlanta were to somehow elect a white mayor is pitiful. It is also in its own way racist.
Yes, live and work, two ATLANTA proper addresses. I don't have the energy to explain covert actions to you, since that overt sign has you so upset.

I don't think the world would end; I don't subscribe to the fact that the mayor of Atlanta HAS to be black; I am certain he/she will not always be. However, that doesn't translate to - "so you MUST like Norwood over Bottoms." This is why each of us has a vote.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, live and work, two ATLANTA proper addresses. I don't have the energy to explain covert actions to you, since that overt sign has you so upset.

I don't think the world would end; I don't subscribe to the fact that the mayor of Atlanta HAS to be black; I am certain he/she will not always be. However, that doesn't translate to - "so you MUST like Norwood over Bottoms." This is why each of us has a vote.

I didn't vote for Norwood. It is just sad that in 2017 we are still seeing this divisive and bigoted behavior to keep one segment of Atlanta as the mayor instead of just letting the process play out. Bottoms winning isn't going to ruin my day, week, or year so not sure why you are trying to lecture me on any of this. I am not sure if you have been paying attention to the recent demographic shift in the city but you might want to. There are people from all ethnicity and backgrounds moving here and I think that is a great thing wouldn't you agree?

btw Roswell, Sandy Springs, and Johns Creek were never in the CoA.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I didn't vote for Norwood. It is just sad that in 2017 we are still seeing this divisive and bigoted behavior to keep one segment of Atlanta as the mayor instead of just letting the process play out. Bottoms winning isn't going to ruin my day, week, or year so not sure why you are trying to lecture me on any of this. I am not sure if you have been paying attention to the recent demographic shift in the city but you might want to. There are people from all ethnicity and backgrounds moving here and I think that is a great thing wouldn't you agree?
Not a lecture, it appears several of us haven't fallen in line with your agenda, and your mission is to convince. Yes, bigoted and divisive behavior is really sad in 2017. Imagine that being the underlying reason for a perceived spirit of "defensiveness" on behalf of those who are most impacted by those things.

Quote:
There are people from all ethnicity and backgrounds moving here and I think that is a great thing wouldn't you agree?
Yes.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:20 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,482 times
This might be a bad time for Mary especially with what might be starting to happen with surge of Democrats voting and the backlash again anything 45. We will see but this might not be a good time to be in a party with 45 after the election results across the country but we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta