Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times

Advertisements

Holy overreaction Batman!

I have virtually no exposure to Norwood outside of the two forums I've seen her at. My opinion of her was formed there just by listening to what she had to say. Don't go down the weak route of dismissing her shortcomings (as I see it) on some sort of -ism. That's awfully disrespectful and makes for low brow political conversation.

Funny, my favorite candidate is A WOMAN, just not the one you like or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:27 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Said hi to Norwood at the Beltline ribbon cutting yesterday, so she at least went to that. What else is going to be up for vote this November? Are off year Atlanta city elections very low turnout? If so, that bodes well for Norwood.

This is not a particularly good scenario imo. I'm pretty certain a large number of citizens will not accept her well as Mayor. And after seeing a couple of forums, that's not going to go straight down racial lines. She is going to have a hard time connecting with people under 45. It's not that she's older, I've known plenty of folks over 50 that have no trouble connecting with people younger. She's not one of them.

Her attempts to sympathize seem disingenuous. You can tell she really can't relate to a lot of the topics coming up at the forums I've been to. There's some big issues creeping up that are going to require a lot of understanding, sympathizing and probably unconventional solutions. These issues will grow over the coming years and she just doesn't seem like the right person for it.
Norwood is running a smart campaign. When you're the front runner, why mess around at "forums" with a dozen other candidates who all saying the same thing and struggling to find a way to stand out?

She gets down in the trenches and is known making connections with all sorts of constituents. For example, Norwood has always had strong support from the gay community.

The gay case for Mary Norwood as ATL mayor — Project Q Atlanta

Old 09-30-2017, 04:42 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Holy overreaction Batman!

I have virtually no exposure to Norwood outside of the two forums I've seen her at. My opinion of her was formed there just by listening to what she had to say. Don't go down the weak route of dismissing her shortcomings (as I see it) on some sort of -ism. That's awfully disrespectful and makes for low brow political conversation.

Funny, my favorite candidate is A WOMAN, just not the one you like or something.
I've yet to see you come up with one substantial criticism of Councilwoman Norwood; instead we get your generalized and very personal assessments of her character. So, yes, by all means let's talk about low-brow political conversation.

Quote:
I am very concerned that a white mayor is going to lead to some significant level of unrest, especially as things like the Westside Beltline comes online. These projects and trends that have been going on for a while will be pinned on her unfairly. She will come to represent gentrification and I think her as mayor will lead to a larger sense of divide for some.

Quote:
Honestly, my concern isn't regarding the election rather how people are going to react to her as things happen during her term. Gentrification and displacement will likely speed up due to already in progress projects. I think the odds are high that she will become a poster child for the negative effects of gentrification for many. Her country club look isn't going to help, she just looks rich. I can see how this could lead folks to believe that their elected representatives don't represent them and even are working against them. Do you think Mary will be able to have a frank conversation with the less reasonable side of BLM as Reed did in that town hall without intense pushback? Hell no.
Quote:
Well, in the team/sports based political culture of today, I have doubts many people will be able to get around her "conservative" rep. I don't expect any degree of thoughtfulness in politics anymore.

Quote:
Mary Norwood did a terrible job. I feel bad for her because she had to arrive late, she didn't catch the vibe of the room. But she said a lot stuff in about the least politically appealing way possible. While others were focusing their campaigns on righting wrongs, she kept mentioning that she wanted to make sure everyone in Atlanta has fun. It was weird. I can tell she was tired. With that said, her answers just didn't impress me and I don't think she will be a unifying candidate.

Quote:
This is not a particularly good scenario imo. I'm pretty certain a large number of citizens will not accept her well as Mayor. And after seeing a couple of forums, that's not going to go straight down racial lines. She is going to have a hard time connecting with people under 45. It's not that she's older, I've known plenty of folks over 50 that have no trouble connecting with people younger. She's not one of them.
Curiously, there's not a single reference to anything she's actually done while in service to the city, or to where she actually stands on the issues pertinent to this election. But what does that matter? She's a straight white woman of some affluence and of a certain age, and therefore unfit for the office.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've yet to see you come up with one substantial criticism of Councilwoman Norwood; instead we get your generalized and very personal assessments of her character. So, yes, by all means let's talk about low-brow political conversation.

Curiously, there's not a single reference to anything she's actually done while in service to the city, or to where she actually stands on the issues pertinent to this election. But what does that matter? She's a straight white woman of some affluence and of a certain age, and therefore unfit for the office.
My, my, Lovin...

You're startin' to sound like a Hillaryphile. Love it.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:50 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I hope it comes down to Cathy Woolard and Kwanza Hall.
Atlanta would have no bad options if these were our choices in the runoff.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,784,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Atlanta would have no bad options if these were our choices in the runoff.
I think both are fine, and Woolard is popular among the folks I talk to, and none of them has anything bad to say about Kwanza. But, right now it looks like they are in the 3rd tier in the polls.
I may be off, but Bottom’s digs against Norwood are having an effect—along with the Mayors support. I wonder if, in addition to helping herself in the polls, she may indirectly help Aman—I think there is a bit of overlap in Aman and Norwood’s bases. Aman is already competitive—if Norwood is slipping, where do you think those votes will go?

Old 10-02-2017, 07:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Guess who was front and center at the ribbon cutting?

Beltline's Westside Trail officially opens - The Atlanta Loop

Old 10-02-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Guess who was front and center at the ribbon cutting?

Beltline's Westside Trail officially opens - The Atlanta Loop
Hard to tell if this took place in her district or not. I get the impression that it's in the 10th, not the 11th, however.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hard to tell if this took place in her district or not. I get the impression that it's in the 10th, not the 11th, however.
4th MapATL

Old 10-02-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
4th MapATL
Umm-hmm. She wasn't originally scheduled to appear, either.

https://beltline.org/2017/09/26/atla...-september-29/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta