Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:31 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like MARTA is issuing sleek new Silver Breeze cards.

Silver, that is, unless you happen to have a Reduced Fare or Mobility card, in which case you will be singled out for a bright orange card with your face plastered ON THE FRONT so everybody can see you have special needs!

What is the point of that and why are we insisting on public identifying and humiliating the most vulnerable??

Why shouldn't you be able to go about your business without people saying, "Look at that old 'reduced fare' rider with that hideous, glaring orange card."

This is ageist, ableist and several other ists.

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions
Regarding Replacing Blue Breeze Cards with Silver Cards

7. I have a Reduced Fare/Mobility card or I get my card from my employer/school. When can I swap out my old card for the new card?
The Reduced Fare /Mobility Breeze Cards, employer/school issued cards have been undergoing replacement since early March 2016. We will communicate with you about available times and places to receive your new Breeze Card. Until then, continue to use your blue card without interruption.

8. Will my Reduced Fare/Mobility card look like the new silver card?
No, the new Reduced Fare/Mobility card will be orange and your photo will be on the face of the card.

MARTA

Last edited by arjay57; 03-13-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, it looks like MARTA is issuing sleek new Silver Breeze cards.

Silver, that is, unless you happen to have a Reduced Fare or Mobility card, in which case you will be singled out for a bright orange card with your face plastered ON THE FRONT so everybody can see you have special needs!

What is the point of that and why are we insisting on public identifying and humiliating the most vulnerable??

Why shouldn't you be able to go about your business without people saying, "Look at that old 'reduced fare' rider with that hideous, glaring orange card."

This is ageist, ableist and several other ists.

Do you honestly think riders are gonna to give an eff that someone has an orange breeze card?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 6,111 times
By new you mean the same silver ones they have been using since January 2016?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you honestly think riders are gonna to give an eff that someone has an orange breeze card?
Yes, if it has your face plastered on the front and it is known that an orange card means Reduced Fare/MARTA Mobility. It marks you as different, other and in the eyes of some, lesser.

What's the point of publicly identifying Reduced Fare/Mobility customers and making us carry special cards?

Old 03-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn122282 View Post
By new you mean the same silver ones they have been using since January 2016?
I don't know when they started doing it but there's a big article in today's AJC.

MARTA replacing blue Breeze cards: What to know about new Breeze card

Old 03-13-2017, 02:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yes, if it has your face plastered on the front and it is known that an orange card means Reduced Fare/MARTA Mobility. It marks you as different, other and in the eyes of some, lesser.

What's the point of publicly identifying Reduced Fare/Mobility customers and making us carry special cards?
To prevent fraud/passing it off to a non-eligible MARTA rider.

If it really bothers you that much, just keep it in your wallet.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Because we all have a right to know who our taxes are subsidizing and who is taking more from the system than they are putting in so that we may publicly shame them as they so deserve.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
To prevent fraud/passing it off to a non-eligible MARTA rider.

If it really bothers you that much, just keep it in your wallet.
So how do we know somebody is or is not a non-eligible rider? And how big a problem is this? Is it really worth strippoing away people's dignity?

Why not just announce it on the P.A. system? "Attention, everyone, there's an old geezer with an Orange card who's now going to hobble through the turnstile. In case you're not sure he's the one with his face plastered on the front of his card."

Old 03-13-2017, 02:39 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
I have to partially agree with Arjay on this one. While having a photograph on the card I believe has been the standard for years, making them with bright orange is unnecessary and might be a violation of the ADA. https://www.ada.gov/filing_complaint.htm

Old 03-13-2017, 02:43 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
To be honest, I wish that they would have just stayed with th blue breeze cards because every time they change it, we have to pay money for a new one on top of losing any money we had on an existing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: