Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:28 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,066,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmJamie View Post
Based on what exactly...?
See Forhall's earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Quote:
Based on what exactly...?
How about all of the evidence in my post, just above?

Old 03-16-2017, 11:37 AM

84 posts, read 105,078 times
It existed before gentrification. Like I said, if you're going to move near a place as crime ridden, gun fire everyday, sirens all night, etc., as Edgewood Courts is then don't be surprised at it when it still plays out in 2017! Besides tearing it down, what else needs to change? You still haven't told me what else you're basing that EC "shouldn't be like that" on.... Yeah I got the "crime, crime, crime", but what else?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:34 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,308,655 times
Quote:
It existed before gentrification. Like I said, if you're going to move near a place as crime ridden, gun fire everyday, sirens all night, etc., as Edgewood Courts is then don't be surprised at it when it still plays out in 2017! Besides tearing it down, what else needs to change? You still haven't told me what else you're basing that EC "shouldn't be like that" on.... Yeah I got the "crime, crime, crime", but what else?
That's it. It shouldn't be crime filled. Tear it down, replace it with mixed income apartments. Have 30% be available on lottery with sliding scale rent based on income. Other 70% at market rate. Don't concentrate poverty and we won't get a hellhole like Edgewood court.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,166,359 times
Those apartments should be torn down and redeveloped, even if there wasn't crime.

They're ancient and they look like total crap... garden style blah. The Motel 6 version of rentals. Located right in a growing, hot area, within walking distance to Edgewood MARTA station. In an increasingly urbanizing and densifying intown Atlanta.

Put a mid-rise mixed-use development in there, and with an additional road connection to Arizona Ave to its east.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,689,423 times
Not everyone at ECA is a criminal or the problem. Those families have to deal with the same issues that nearby residents deal with, expect worse and a dear tactic is deployed to ensure no one snitches. Instead of removing the residents, we should be looking at it as to help them and improve their situations.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:54 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,500,765 times
The fact is many apartment complexes have a certain percentage of units set aside for section 8 units.. that is if they received certain govt tax breaks and govt subsidized financing. So section 8 is spread all over. BUt when it is concentrated into one large complex there is bound to be problems.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM

84 posts, read 105,078 times
People in poverty usually are concentrated by public transportation. They won't have access to cars because it's not affordable to them. You can tear it down, yeah, but there will still be crime in another area. Basically you don't want that in ITP, but look at what ITP has access too! I think it's funny that people move near a crime filled cesspool, but didn't look into the area just the amenities and wanting to live "downtown". Then instead of just moving away to somewhere safer and better, their only solution is "tear it down, make them move out of their homes and make it someone else's problem" which never adresses poverty and low income as a whole, not to mention the mindset of those type of people.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:47 PM

139 posts, read 125,983 times
I agree, Edgewood Courts have to go. But not because newly residents want them gone. But because is even a danger for the same residents who have no choice but to live there.

I disagree with redeveloping it with 30℅ low-income and 70℅ market rate though smh. Why 70℅?
By the way Edgewood Courts are even infamous outside of Atlanta. At one point I read not even police would show up to resolve any disputes coming from there.

Also is time to hold this slumlords accountable for any disgrace as a result of the unsafe conditions of this places. What happened to security and evictions?

Is anyone keeping an eye open to anything other than the transfer of funds to them for the rents? Basically just thrown there like animals. Shouldn't be legal.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,085,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
That's it. It shouldn't be crime filled. Tear it down, replace it with mixed income apartments. Have 30% be available on lottery with sliding scale rent based on income. Other 70% at market rate. Don't concentrate poverty and we won't get a hellhole like Edgewood court.
There are levels to life. Same way you can say in every other thread that the poor people should move out in lieu of the more monied peoples, well HJ Russell's kids have more money than you and their voice is louder because of it. Life isnt fair right? Deal with it. Edgewood was there before you were. The same system that allows for you to buy that poor family's house is the same one that allows for a bigger fish than you to own that trapped out complex around the corner from that house you bought while you deal with the random stray gunshots in the middle of the night and the owner of the complex is somewhere in Manhattan or Frisco chillin. Again. Levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: