Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:09 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Thats why the area is crappy tho, no taxes = no money to fix/improve things.
However, city taxes probably do not go to the area in which they are paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 06:31 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,311,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, city taxes probably do not go to the area in which they are paid.

You'll need a source for this. I think many people assume this because the poor areas look like they don't get any money. The reality is that they do, but the residents don't take care for what they get so it looks like more money goes into wealthy areas. There are plenty of huge investments in poor neighborhoods. Many of the high schools, for example, have recently been completely refurbished for millions of dollars. Atlanta is paying for Mims Park both for recreation and flood control in Vine City area. Then of course there's the cost of policing these high crime areas.

The low income areas get plenty of tax money, perhaps even more than their fair share considering how little they pay. And that's fine with me. We need to invest in all neighborhoods of Atlanta regardless of how much they pay, but don't claim it not to be true just because it fits a narrative unless you have statistics.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,339,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It's not really a choice for them to move out. That's what some people don't understand. If you can't pay the rent or mortgage, you can't stay. It really is that simple.

But you said they can't afford the suburbs but that is where they are going. So, are we to believe they are living under a bridge somewhere? Despite you saying they can't live in the burbs they are making it work.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Exactly. Say you're poor, or a fixed income senior, you live in a home that's been passed down through generations and you get a tax bill in July that says you owe $3000 in November.

Seniors have the option for a property tax freeze when they are 70 if they file the paperwork. It is very simple. If someone is too lazy to do such I don't have any sympathy for them being 'forced' out.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
People aren't leaving atlanta in droves. The population of Atlanta is growing along with the suburbs. In fact, Atlanta is one of the fastest growing cities in the metro. All of Atlanta metro is growing, but it's due to migration from other states, not migration out of Atlanta which is only getting more and more desirable.
The number of people coming in far outweighs the number leaving which is what makes this thread so laughable. But people are leaving and it is at an increasing rate they are just being replaced at a greater number.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You'll need a source for this. I think many people assume this because the poor areas look like they don't get any money. The reality is that they do, but the residents don't take care for what they get so it looks like more money goes into wealthy areas. There are plenty of huge investments in poor neighborhoods. Many of the high schools, for example, have recently been completely refurbished for millions of dollars. Atlanta is paying for Mims Park both for recreation and flood control in Vine City area. Then of course there's the cost of policing these high crime areas.

The low income areas get plenty of tax money, perhaps even more than their fair share considering how little they pay. And that's fine with me. We need to invest in all neighborhoods of Atlanta regardless of how much they pay, but don't claim it not to be true just because it fits a narrative unless you have statistics.
There are countless examples of taxes being collected in wealthy parts of the city and the funds being used elsewhere.

Mims Park, as I understand it, is being privately funded.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,311,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are countless examples of taxes being collected in wealthy parts of the city and the funds being used elsewhere.

Mims Park, as I understand it, is being privately funded.
I'm not sure about Mims. Most recent article I see says:

Quote:
Atlanta is moving forward with flood-control efforts in Vine City, with plans to create a pond and other amenities in Historic Mims Park modeled on the acclaimed Historic Fourth Ward Park.

The City Council recently authorized the mayor’s office to conduct surveys, order appraisals and acquire property for the Upper Proctor Creek Capacity Relief-Mims Park Pond Project. The project’s boundaries are Joseph E. Boone Boulevard and Walnut, Thurmond and Elm streets.
Makes it seem like a city project?

In any case, money is spent very heavily in areas that pay very little in taxes. No need to open a discussion on something that just isn't true.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Who says that West End is an "historic black neighborhood".....

West End is an "historic" neighborhood. FYI (which I believe I shared with you before) Atlanta has a history of entrenced neighborhood segregation. This was legal, apartheid-esque segregation whereas blacks and whites were forced by the local government and state government to live in designated "negro" and "white" neighborhoods.

People in Atlanta who have even a smidgeon of knowledge about the last 50 years of history there know that Atlanta was heavily segregated BY LAW.

Nobody is trying to "change" that history and blacks who are from Atlanta are well aware of its apartheid past and know that it actually wasn't a "city too busy to hate" because they were "hated" upon in regards to being limited to where they could live and work and educate their children for many generations up to the 1970s/1980s really.

On this, how are you equating white flight -whereas whites due to being afraid of black people living in their neighborhoods - they fled, even losing money on their houses due to their hysteria of living next to negroes - how can you even equate that situation with gentrification???

You really need to brush up on some modern history to learn what white flight and segregation was/is. Blacks only became a majority because whites left. They wanted to live next to the whites. The whites didn't want to live next to them. Like I shared before as well, this is usually the case when "too many" blacks move into a white neighborhood even to this day.
I encourage everyone to read White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism
https://books.google.com/books/about...d=c5763Zgu4_oC

Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about Mims. Most recent article I see says:

Makes it seem like a city project?

In any case, money is spent very heavily in areas that pay very little in taxes. No need to open a discussion on something that just isn't true.
Looks like a collaboration between Watershed Management for the detention pond and private donors for the park.

Here's Atlanta Magazine's summary from January:
Quote:
The city’s Department of Watershed Management has already allocated $20 million to create a large stormwater retention pond similar to the one in Historic Fourth Ward Park that should permanently curb the kind of flooding that destroyed more than 150 Vine City homes in 2002. The $10 million needed for landscaping and land acquisition is coming from private donors such as the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation ($2.5 million) and Chick-fil-A ($1 million).

Cook’s group is raising the final $10 million to commission the statues and monuments. The Tomochichi column will feature an observation deck at the chief’s feet overlooking the skyline.

Resurrected Mims Park will offer a lesson in Atlanta race relations - Atlanta Magazine
I totally agree with you that money is often spent in areas other than where the taxes are collected.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:01 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,324,162 times
Quote:
How does gentrification mean someone can't pay their mortgage? If anything it pushes up salaries in the area.

Rent, I understand.
Huh? So, the people who live in Bankhead work only in Bankhead? Gentrification of Old Fourth Ward has nothing to do with rising salaries in West End. But, mortgages do actually go up as home values rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Rent I understand as that can go up, but how are they being forced out from not paying the mortgage. If they bought a house and have been there a bit, shouldn't the mortgage be consistant? If they could pay it 5 years ago or whenever, can't they still pay it and stay?
Mortgages can change quite a bit form year to year depending on the property value. My mortgage has fluctuated a few hundred dollars per month over the years solely based on property tax, and I have a cheap house. Somebody might very well not be able to afford a mortgage that is $200 more per month than it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta