Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times

Advertisements

Which decade has been more prosperous for the Atlanta region?

The 1990's, when Atlanta experienced explosive economic and population growth and gained notoriety as a rising sports mecca (with a then-new Georgia Dome stadium that was named host of two Super Bowls and the SEC Football Championship Game) with a massive fast-growing international airport and an upstart Hip-Hop and R&B music scene that rose to national prominence during the lead-up to Atlanta's berth as host of the 1996 Summer Olympics?

Or the current decade of the 2010's, when Atlanta has become an established brand as a major national sports mecca (that is home to new football and baseball stadiums), a local music scene that dominates the national Hip-Hop and R&B landscape (by way of the Atlanta-originated Hip-Hop subgenre of Trap music), an exploding television and film production scene that is the third-largest on the entire planet, is the site of the world's busiest airport and is powered by an Atlantic Ocean seaport (the Port of Savannah) that is one of the busiest and fastest-growing international seaports on the planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
1990s were more transformative as of currently....I think that decade is what transformed Atlanta from a provincial mid-size southern metro to a major international metro whereas the 2010s are sort of a continuation from where Atlanta's growth left off right before the Great Recession.

That being said, this decade isn't over yet so we can't really fully judge until it's 2020. This decade will likely be more transformative than the 2000s. This is also the best decade for the City of Atlanta itself in 50 or so years.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
1990s were more transformative as of currently....I think that decade is what transformed Atlanta from a provincial mid-size southern metro to a major international metro whereas the 2010s are sort of a continuation from where Atlanta's growth left off right before the Great Recession.
Excellent points as I agree that the 1990's likely were not only more transformative but were extremely transformative for Atlanta.

The 1990's are the decade that put Atlanta on the map with its then-extremely fast-growing airport; the construction of such iconic facilities as the Georgia Dome, Turner Field and Philips Arena; the city being awarded the rights to host multiple major sporting events (including the SEC Championship Game, two Super Bowls and (especially) the 1996 Summer Olympics) and a then fast-rising upstart Hip-Hop and R&B music scene that eventually rose to international prominence by way of such talents as Kris Kross, TLC, Da Brat, Goodie MOB and (of course) OutKast.

Quote:
That being said, this decade isn't over yet so we can't really fully judge until it's 2020. This decade will likely be more transformative than the 2000s. This is also the best decade for the City of Atlanta itself in 50 or so years.
I strongly agree that the current will likely be even more transformative than previous decades like the 1990's and the 2000's.

That's because of the stunning rise during the 2010's decade of Atlanta and Georgia as a massive hub for the television and film production industry, along with the rise of the Atlanta area as a technology hub and the construction and opening of such new sports facilities as SunTrust Park and (especially) the potentially-iconic Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The continued rise of Atlanta as a major sporting event-hosting mecca as well as the continued rise of the Atlanta area as a college and prep sports hotbed is also something that can be cited as a major positive for the metro area.

Though, we may not be able to fully judge the impact of this decade until its 2020, this decade seems to be another extremely transformative and highly-prosperous decade for the Atlanta region.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:24 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Atlanta hasn't been a 'provincial mid-size southern metro' since the early 80's, and hasn't really been 'provincial' since the 60's.

Born 2 Roll, great idea for a thread! I would say these times are more transformative than the 90's, especially with the changes to the built environment.

Last edited by JMatl; 03-23-2017 at 03:38 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 06:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,152 times
I would say this decade easily. The 90's opened that gate but this current era is when the city kicked it wide open. I actually base my opinion off the youth in the city. I grew up in the 90's -early 2000's and remember all the change, but my generation was still for all intents and purposes country. We weren't concerned with cosmopolitan stuff like traveling, dressing nice or trying to be classy. We were all about shorts and flip flops, old school Amercian cars () and some beer and fried chicken at a cook out. Now in 2017 I look at the youth of the city of all races and they remind me of the young folks I see when Im in DC. The stuff they are doing as teens I wasnt even aware of until my 20's. The style and overall swagger is completely different than ours too. These kids in the city now actually come off like some big city kids, unlike my generation where our culture hadn't really caught up to the growth of the city itself

Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
I would have to say the 90s, a decade when Atlanta's business community exerted tremendous economic muscle to become a national and international business powerhouse with growing its native Fortune 500s and attracting other Fortune 500s to the area. Of course, that continues to this day.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
The 90's, by a longshot. Atlanta was firing all all cylinders. Economically, athletically, commercially. Here are just of the few things that I remember:
Braves as world series champions in 1995
Georgia Tech as AFCA football champs in 1990
Atlanta hosts the Olympics in 1996
Thrashers awarded to Atlanta in 1997 (start playing in 1999)
Atlanta Hartsfield becomes busiest airport (by passenger traffic) in 1998
Freaknik increases in size to ~80,000 people in 1993 and then 250,000 n 1995
Turner Broadcasting becomes a major player: CNN rises to pre-eminence in 1991 (due to Desert Storm coverage); Cartoon Network launched in 1993

I'm sure there's a lot more.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
I'd also say the 90s.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,545 times
Going to go with 90s, as well.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:42 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I would say this decade easily. The 90's opened that gate but this current era is when the city kicked it wide open. I actually base my opinion off the youth in the city. I grew up in the 90's -early 2000's and remember all the change, but my generation was still for all intents and purposes country. We weren't concerned with cosmopolitan stuff like traveling, dressing nice or trying to be classy. We were all about shorts and flip flops, old school Amercian cars () and some beer and fried chicken at a cook out. Now in 2017 I look at the youth of the city of all races and they remind me of the young folks I see when Im in DC. The stuff they are doing as teens I wasnt even aware of until my 20's. The style and overall swagger is completely different than ours too. These kids in the city now actually come off like some big city kids, unlike my generation where our culture hadn't really caught up to the growth of the city itself
That is almost 100% the advent of the internet and social networking. Even the most reclusive shut-in living in a basement on the outskirts of Palmetto now has access at their fingertips to youtube channels, message forums, communication and other sound, images and video to almost any subculture out there. As a kid, you didn't have access to much of anything that wasn't approved for consumption on mass media (radio, tv, periodicals), didn't come to via word of mouth, or didn't exist geographically close to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta