Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:51 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
Heat is uncomfortable - cold is miserable!
This X100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I guess that applies to western North Carolina as well.

Climate zones follow topography, not latitudes.

Asheville NC still has milder winters than just about anywhere up north.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:18 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
There are actually a lot of times they'll be warmer than us in the piedmont too. A lot of times a "wedge" of cold air will sneak down the eastern side of the Appalachians all the way to Atlanta. When warm air from the south tries to make its way north, it goes over the cold air trapped down in the piedmont but at 2,000+ feet of altitude, Asheville will actually get that warm air. There was a time back in December that we were stuck in the 40s and low 50s but it was over 60 in Asheville.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:24 AM

376 posts, read 330,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I still love Atlanta, and if you prefer being indoors and pool time rather than active outdoor activities summers will probably be great!!! All things considered the area has a lot to offer.
I think a lot of people miss the point though. Yes in summer it can be unbearably hot to be outside in the middle of the day. Come 8pm when its cooled down but still light outside those are the best hours of the year.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTravelinMan View Post
I think a lot of people miss the point though. Yes in summer it can be unbearably hot to be outside in the middle of the day. Come 8pm when its cooled down but still light outside those are the best hours of the year.
I wish. Last summer it was unbearable even after dark some nights.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
I went from Houston to Minneapolis to Atlanta, so I feel like I've reached the Goldilocks zone.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:09 AM

118 posts, read 96,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
It might surprise you to learn there's a location in Canada whose winters are not just milder but MUCH milder than they are in Asheville NC. Asheville, NC is almost arctic-like by comparison!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:19 AM

118 posts, read 96,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I’m definitely enjoying the weather here, especially the 70 degree days in early spring and late fall. Being stuck inside all summer took some adjusting, because in the northeast, summer is when everyone hangs out outdoors.

My only wish is that it snowed here more. I feel bad for my kids, as snow memories are some of my favorite from my Boston childhood.
I'll bet it would surprise you to learn there's a location in Canada that historically enjoys warmer winter seasons than does Atlanta.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:21 AM

135 posts, read 88,568 times
sans pollen. If it weren't for the pollen it'd be a homerun here! Everyone in my family is allergic to pollen so it's rough for us now. Love warm weather though.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:28 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcxyz423 View Post
I'll bet it would surprise you to learn there's a location in Canada that historically enjoys warmer winter seasons than does Atlanta.
Anyplace in Canada that has anywhere close to comparable Januaries is going to be oceanic and will have much cooler Februaries and Marches (and April, and May...) and will have day lengths of under 8.5 hours compared to just under 10 for Atlanta at the solstice. I would take a frigid, below average January every year in Atlanta if it meant enjoying longer days and a spring season that actually feels like spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta