Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Westside Trail real estate overheated?
Overheated 7 21.21%
Just getting started 17 51.52%
It's about right 6 18.18%
Don't know the area 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:04 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I think houses were going for $400k in the Jackson Cluster before the schools really turned around. And they really didn't start turning around until after the younger, middle-class families started investing time and energy into the traditional public schools.

I think it's just an issue of the gentrifying westside parents doing the same... With a unified collective effort, I think in 5 to 10 years, the Washington Cluster will be on the rise as well (as long as the residents get active and demand what they want from the traditional public schools in the Washington Cluster).
The 400K started happening when Kirkwood (and Oakhurst) became the reasonable extension/overflow of other more expensive adjacent neighborhoods. Right now, that role is still played by other east side neighborhoods --spending money and energy on the expectation of sustainable rapid appreciation on the west-side is still more of a leap of faith. I would say, buy on the west side if you can be happy/content living with it being exactly the way it is now. If you expect for the neighborhood to change on your timetable, you are likely to be disappointed and broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If the inflated prices were just based off of the hopefulness of the times, the west-side would not have been hit as hard, and bounced back quicker--I think there was too much fraud mixed in with the hopefulness, and that caused the west side to get hit so hard (and if this property gets anywhere close to asking, I would guess fraud again).
Agreed.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/5/17...tline-district

Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM

371 posts, read 456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I totally agree. But sometimes you have to be the change that you want to see... Nevertheless, I don't think not moving there is the answer.

http://wcagatl.wixsite.com/home

https://www.google.com/amp/www.11ali...rict/432226621

https://www.google.com/amp/s/talkupa...em-school/amp/
Perhaps preach to the newcomers who refuse to send their children to MA Jones. It is important for me to live in a neighborhood where the local elementary has huge community involvement. I would love to see the West End schools improve, but unfortunately I cannot wait a decade to see it happen. Maybe if I did not already have a young child.. :/
My local elementary is not top rated by any means, but a variety of people in the neighborhood actually support the school by enrolling their children there.

Congratulations on that STEM certification though, Jones Elementary! Very cool.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:01 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Looks like $400s are certainly possible in West End: West End bungalow closes at $425K—or $20K over asking—and sets sales record

Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Damn, that's my friends house.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:05 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Damn, that's my friends house.
Nice, selling? If so, they did well.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nice, selling? If so, they did well.
Purchasing.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:03 PM

297 posts, read 271,555 times
The wife and I drove down to the Adair Park I/II and Pekerson park area this weekend. Adair park I and Pekerson are gorgeous parks. The disc golf course looks really cool. I saw several guys out there and a family having a big picnic in Adair park. As we drove around it just seemed to go from "what a cute restoration" to "Is this a set from The Walking Dead or Robocop?" - just some really sketchy stuff(abandoned homes, seedy convenience stores, gang grafiti, ect). My experience renting in south grant park was that often times the "cute" restorations ended up being targets for vandals and burglars. Not a place I would recommend for families with young kids. Just my experience. But yah, I really see the potential. We were mainly looking for the Westside Beltline trail. So we came to a site which was basically a burned out mill of some sort and a sign with grafiti all over it and trash all around - "Westside Trail - google map image:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ad...!4d-84.4107008

You can see the small section of trail that is finished but it looks like maybe a 1/2 mile? If you look at the Beltline site it's not clear at all what parts of the Westside trail are complete. I really hope the Westside trail gets moving - I don't live to far away(south Cobb) and want another place to ride my bike.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:21 PM

297 posts, read 271,555 times
Ok, confused again. The Beltline site says this portion is complete:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...312164!6m1!1e1

From White street to Westview cemetery. If you look at the google map image it's not. This portion will be really cool. The old industrial site will be a great place for off trail retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta