Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 09:38 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,130,613 times

Advertisements

MARTA: Crime is down because of cameras, 10,000 rider suspensions

Hopefully this will calm down those on here paranoid about MARTA being dangerous and them being mugged, shot , or killed if they even ride it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,865,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
MARTA: Crime is down because of cameras, 10,000 rider suspensions

Hopefully this will calm down those on here paranoid about MARTA being dangerous and them being mugged, shot , or killed if they even ride it.
Probably not. I don't think those people's fears were based in statistics. Even at it's "worse" riding MARTA was still safer than driving, and safer than many other transit systems in the US.

But MARTA does deserve recognition. I have noticed less "knuckle-head behavior", and it stands out when I visit other cities that have not dealt with those issues as directly.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,988,263 times
The Problem with 10,000 Camera's is No One is looking at them.

There is software that can "look" for somethings, and direct the video to a human to look at. But most of it looks for Non/Fast Movement, (Body laying on the platform, Running where people normally don't run to/from), "No low Image, and High Image" Fare evasion.

Most of the "Camera" is let go back and see what happened from the DVR, Maybe we know the subject (After the Fact), Or can track him/her forward or backward and maybe get the breeze card, so when that person goes thru again we can get a alert.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 AM

989 posts, read 1,741,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

There is software that can "look" for somethings, and direct the video to a human to look at. But most of it looks for Non/Fast Movement, (Body laying on the platform, Running where people normally don't run to/from), "No low Image, and High Image" Fare evasion.

Most of the "Camera" is let go back and see what happened from the DVR, Maybe we know the subject (After the Fact), Or can track him/her forward or backward and maybe get the breeze card, so when that person goes thru again we can get a alert.
Sure, but this new notion that police are there for crime prevention is a false narrative. The main job for law enforcement is to SOLVE crime. Crime prevention is very complicated and often leads to heavy handed abuse and profiling(read poor and minorities). The best crime prevention is awareness, a good economy, and prosecutions. Crime has been dropping over the last 2 decades, homicides are down across the board, but homicide clearance rates are lower.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times
Quote:

Even if 'someone is looking' at them all the time, someone in a Video Integration Center cannot actively stop anything. Having the recording will aid in solving crimes, eg: the stabbing at Avondale.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,283,475 times
MARTA is getting really strict. I was riding from the airport on Saturday and someone came onto the train and played Stevie Wonder's "For Once in My Life" on his phone. It sounded so good I thought MARTA had added music to the trains. But then the train conductor came over the intercom and told whoever was playing loud music (it wasn't loud) to turn it off because people were complaining (nobody complained). People were enjoying the music, and the jeers were audible and plentiful when the conductor laid down the hammer.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,843,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
MARTA is getting really strict. I was riding from the airport on Saturday and someone came onto the train and played Stevie Wonder's "For Once in My Life" on his phone. It sounded so good I thought MARTA had added music to the trains. But then the train conductor came over the intercom and told whoever was playing loud music (it wasn't loud) to turn it off because people were complaining (nobody complained). People were enjoying the music, and the jeers were audible and plentiful when the conductor laid down the hammer.
Picking and choosing which loud music to enforce will only lead to discrimination issues. By not allowing ANY loud music, it prevents this discussion and ensures no one will get their feelings hurt.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,748,510 times
Good. Kick their azz off!

Old 03-30-2017, 12:04 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,749,459 times
Quote:
But do the bad guys know that? They may think they are being watched or at least recorded.

The possibility of being caught, either in the act or after the fact, is bound to be a deterrent to some.

Likewise with the suspensions. A greater police presence and more enforcement certainly ins't going to catch all offenders, but it increases the chances of getting caught.

Hardcore bad guys don't care but the opportunistic or casual offender may think twice.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:08 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,865,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Someone must of complained (or it was much louder than you imply), otherwise how did the conductor know about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta